FleXor future

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: FleXor future

Post by garyb »

sure, native code can be just as effective as dsp and vice versa!
the problem is that the cpu is doing quite a few other tasks as well.....
maky325

Post by maky325 »

garyb wrote:sure, native code can be just as effective as dsp and vice versa!
the problem is that the cpu is doing quite a few other tasks as well.....
Exactly !!!
Nice example of top quality native plugin which use a lot of CPU to sound good is Nebula 3. This is really only VST FX i ordered (i am anal about VST especially since i own scope) which actually does not ruin my sound when EQ or compression is needed(or reverb). But Nebula 3 is also reason why i am upgrading my core duo to core quad :lol: (hopefully SC will fix STS 5000 and multicore crackling bug)
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, i doubt going from a core dou to a quad itself will make a tremendous difference, but perhaps in your application i am wrong(that would be ok! :lol: )....

perhaps Adern and S/C will still work things out. i'm not surprised that Adern had poor communication with S/C at the time mentioned. the switch between Creamware and SonicCore was a crazy time, with a building's business moved, orders to fill, agreements to make, many problems to solve, the loss of a distributor, a new baby AND a staff of only a few people. it's no surprise that there were some important things that fell through the cracks, and feelings that got hurt.

now, it's been spilled all over the public forum(man, we really have nothing better to do than to cackle and gossip.. :lol: ). it should be easy to figure out a way to be happy for both companies.

also, as to the price, NO ONE will be injured by a 50% raise in price, neither by a doubling. Scope's entry price, while very cheap, already eliminates many buyers. in the vst world, you can sell quite a few copies and probably will, and soon(if the product is any good) it will be cracked and EVERYBODY really will have it. it's very likely that neither platform will be more profitable than the other, both together might be the best bet(nobody from Adern should come here and say that money is not the point of selling plugins. if money is not the point then drop the protection scheme and GIVE the product away!). the price argument is not really a part of the real world, but is rhetoric.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

garyb wrote:well, i doubt going from a core dou to a quad itself will make a tremendous difference, but perhaps in your application i am wrong(that would be ok! :lol: )....
Yep, believe me it is because of my application too. I already checked and confirm benchmark for this migration and it will be worth...
astroman

Post by astroman »

... I already checked and confirm benchmark for this migration and it will be worth...
of course it is - that's convolution which is always kinda 'geometrically' arranged ... :D
they didn't use the NVidea Cuda stuff for nothing

nevertheless in a more general context CPUs (as the Pentium) are horribly ineffective when it comes to processing of streaming data
you (usually) just don't really notice because the clock is so damn high today
but that doesn't change a bit about the underlying facts

cheers, Tom
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

astroman wrote: ...and the native version from TripleDat ? :D
while you mention tripledat...
those who can't live without tripledat, be it running on the isa card or the plugin version for scope, still run it on win98 and ancient systems.
so might do all those who can't live without flexor. run it on xp and scope v4.x. I see nothing wrong with it.
there are (basically) 2 sorts of people here, those who would sacrifice scope5 to flexor, and those who won't. it's their decision, and maybe there is a future for both, should S|C and adern agree on their future cooperation.

my 2c.

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Tau

Post by Tau »

Totally agree with you, and better off with XP and PCI than win98 and ISA :)

But will the XITE run on Scope 4.5?
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

I seem to remember when I was upgrading from 3.1c to 4.0 & 4.5 that you guys advised me that I could run more than one version on the same pc.

Doesn't this therefore offer an (albeit messy) workaround for this issue? 4.5 with Flexor and 5.0 for everything else.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

before I forget... Garyb : i agree 100% with you ! :D
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

PLEASE PEOPLE! stop this! we do not have the xite or scope 5 avaliable yet! we alreadye have more than enough of threads with people speculating about the future of scope, dont you think :wink:

I am looking forward to all of this myself, but until then, i will contiue making music on my pc with scope 4.5.

-enjoy the summer :D
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

well.... hmmm--- the summer in your speakers :D !! the sound of the music you have made! :D
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

stardust wrote:it'S raining over here :(
wrong planet, then :wink:
--
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

stardust wrote:
kylie wrote:
stardust wrote:it'S raining over here :(
wrong planet, then :wink:
This one is still my favorite.
that may apply to PlanetZ. but I actually referred to Squornhoellisch Zeta, to be precise :lol:
--
maket

Post by maket »

-eXistenz - (new name 4 Flexor)
wayne

Post by wayne »

Long time no post, maket :) Where you been?
le_tigre

Post by le_tigre »

Assaf,

For a new name, "Reflext," with whatever typographic conventions you prefer, seems appropriate.

It's too bad Adern and CW apparently cannot reconcile their differences, but the next version does sound compelling. Adern certainly wouldn't be the first to port a native plugin to a DSP architecture {Waldorf ported their Attack plugin to the Moto-based Rack Attack five years or so ago}, so maybe you can have a chat with Metric Halo about getting Reflext into their +DSP audio interfaces. They use SHARCs, IIRC.

http://www.mhsecure.com/v5mm/

We can dream, and hey, Mac OSX users have waited long enough for a little Adern+DSP love!

Edit, if you're looking for one of those names pregnant with meaning and totally distinct from the FleXor brand, "blastula", referring to the early stage of an embryo, following cleavage of the ovum, has a nice ring to it. It evokes notions of creation, potential and low-level manipulation. It also sounds pretty cool.
Last edited by le_tigre on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours,
Niall.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Most excellent.

Like the ovum, Flexor would split into different rendering paths. In other words, the core technology (DNA) remains the same excellent Flexor DSP routines. However, it would run in different surrounding cellular automata, i.e. Scope, and/or VST.

Therefore, another possible name might be Cleavage. :D

(Edit: Le Tigre, thanks for the Metric Halo stuff - wasn't aware of that platform. Mac only right?)
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Axon - they generate impulses into neurons (brain communcative pathways).

/dave
braincell

Post by braincell »

That is great news about Flexor. I'm looking forward to the upgrade! I hope I can still get some kind of discount. I'm one version behind. Will the rules for the contest be posted? Sorry If I missed it. I didn't read the entire thread.
valis

Post by valis »

I liked reflex

Simple & states what it is :D