USB MIDI Controller input for Pulsar II

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

engelkott

USB MIDI Controller input for Pulsar II

Post by engelkott »

Hi!

I have looked and searched for a solution to this problem but to no avail so any help would be appreciated.

I have a Pulsar II running Scope v4.1 and the problem i have is i just sold my old keyboard and bought a new controller keyboard...... which is USB only. Now i can't play the Pulsar "live" without having a sequencer open, which is a major hassle.

Is there a device for other MIDI inputs? Or has anyone got another solution?

Thanks for any help!
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

http://www.nerds.de/

They make a free software MIDI port called LoopBe1....check what do they have and if it fits your needs.
engelkott

Post by engelkott »

Thanks, I will check it out. :)

Engelkott
Lima

Post by Lima »

Really interesting! Thank you Alfonso!
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
engelkott

Post by engelkott »

I've had a little look at LoopBe1 but I am not sure it is what i am looking for. If i am correct LoopBe1 is a loopback device to take the midi out of a program to the in of another?

What i need is something which will make the Creamware Scope software take midi signals from my usb controller without having any other program open. So in my situation the LoopBe1 has nothing to loop back to as i can't select it in the Scope program.

So i have my Edirol keyboard and iIn Sonar it is there, as it is in my XG Edit program but in Scope it only allows Pulsar midi input. I guess what i really need is a custom device which allows you to select another midi input.

Thanks
Janni

Post by Janni »

MIDI Connection Center 1.1 is what you need!
It's free, loads on startup and connects 4 ports...
you can get it here:

http://www.musiclab.com/downloads/free/

Have fun!
Jan
-/-
pollux

Post by pollux »

garyb

Post by garyb »

the LoopBe1 or MIDI Connection Center 1.1 use the sequencer midi source and destination modules. you may use as many pairs of these modules as you need(16 midi channels on each port).

there's no possible way for the usb controller to connect with Scope except through another program, either one like these or a sequencer. the reason is that Scope is HARDWARE, the environment is not the computer itself, but the dsp chips. the computer just loads and unloads the chips and runs the interface. a driver connects the Scope card to the OS, just like the USB controller. drivers must connect to an app, they don't connect hardware, so you need a bit of software to hook the two together.
engelkott

Post by engelkott »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated!
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

You cloud use Plogue Bidule:

http://www.plogue.com

Not free ... but cheap

cheers

Michel
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

You cloud use Plogue Bidule:

http://www.plogue.com

Not free ... but cheap

cheers

Michel
husker

Post by husker »

or you can use good 'ol MidiOx
braincell

Post by braincell »

I don't understand why having a sequencer program open is "a major hassle" .
engelkott

Post by engelkott »

braincell wrote:I don't understand why having a sequencer program open is "a major hassle" .
System resources, you have to set that up, it is an extra hassle and above all else, I should not have to just to play with the synths!
garyb

Post by garyb »

doesn't your keyboard also have a midi out? why not connect that directly to the card?
engelkott

Post by engelkott »

garyb wrote:doesn't your keyboard also have a midi out? why not connect that directly to the card?
Because then i have to find a plug socket to power the unit whereas USB is self powering.

If you have a car do you push it along? Why have a technology only to ignore it? :)
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

make sure you test all you USB and virtual midi cables etc carefully. especially for performance or recording.
USB drivers can interfere with one another. my worst one was "novation xiosynth" i had to banish it from my studio and uninstall its driver before i could get good midi timing on any of my other USB stuff, and even scope MIDI.
garyb

Post by garyb »

engelkott wrote:
garyb wrote:doesn't your keyboard also have a midi out? why not connect that directly to the card?
Because then i have to find a plug socket to power the unit whereas USB is self powering.

If you have a car do you push it along? Why have a technology only to ignore it? :)
first, power by USB is not some big deal and second, as pointed out in stardust's post, you do NOT have to use USB midi to use USB power. plug USB into the computer and midi into Scope. you can STILL use USB midi for your sequencer if you wish to. have you even tried this? :)