SCOPE X-ite still VIRTUAL?

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

I definitly agree ... Should you have many good plugins and you will find out you do need more DSP power sooner or later. Mixing 40/50 tracks with big synths and here we go .... And I agree 100% with the fact next generation plugins will need more power : quality can go higher and higher !!!!! Let's face the truth, I have never heard a plugin (even UAD, Oxford) sounding 100% like the analog hardware. But that can become possible with more power ... So we will need such a power one day or another ... ; :o :o
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Did they add RAM to the device or still the reverbs and samplers use the PC RAM?
moxi

Post by moxi »

Wow, you've already got an Xite then moxi? Didn't know anyone had used it long enough to know that it STILL crashes.
that was a question.. the little "?" indicates that...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

moxi wrote:
Wow, you've already got an Xite then moxi? Didn't know anyone had used it long enough to know that it STILL crashes.
Yes, but how can you say something STILL crashes when no-one's tried the final version yet? That was my point.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi there,

pics cutoff and stuff: well, I think it is not secret that some parts of XITE Interface are still to be tuned (release scheduled for May).

Plus there is no fun if you have nothing to discover anymore :-)

maxing out dsps: nope... i didn't do that. What i did is to set the Vectron to a poly of 8 and to assign it to its own dsp (that you can see in the picture as the one going over 6000).

Now, i should be buzy updating some mixers and other stuff for both Scope and Xite in addition to the current developments :-)

EDITED I removed some pics that I intended for planetz core users only as a very sneak preview ;-) thank you.
Last edited by spacef on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
voidar

Post by voidar »

lagoausente wrote:Did they add RAM to the device or still the reverbs and samplers use the PC RAM?
Probably not. Does it matter? With that Masterverb count it would seem like an awkward, old-school decision.

Besides, the newer SHARCs have more on-board memory than the old ones.

The point of this hardware is to have any laptop/desktop become a full-fledged virtual studio, not hooking them up to some self-reliant machine.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

did anybody ask if the host cards will be sold separately, so that one can attach the XITE to several machines by just repluggin the cable?

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

voidar wrote:
lagoausente wrote:Did they add RAM to the device or still the reverbs and samplers use the PC RAM?
Probably not. Does it matter? With that Masterverb count it would seem like an awkward, old-school decision.

Besides, the newer SHARCs have more on-board memory than the old ones.

The point of this hardware is to have any laptop/desktop become a full-fledged virtual studio, not hooking them up to some self-reliant machine.
I think I have read in the past that is for making a conolution reverb to run on Scope,it would need onboard memory, otherwise the Pcibandwith would be too much high.
It´s supposed that with the new PCI-e and Expresscard, the pci overflow will not occur, but in the other side, you must have in account that could run much more devices in Xite, and logical would be that the PCI-e and expresscard bandwith would be by a factor of 10 aswell, what I think it´s not.
I don´t want to be negative, just think that for this type of investement, it would be fine to do the job totally ok, without bugs, or at least without hardware ones, what will stay there when the hardware will be relesased.
With such power, and cost, logical would be to can access to make convolution for it, and have no limit for the pci bandwith before the own dsp limit.
spacef

Post by spacef »

kylie wrote:did anybody ask if the host cards will be sold separately, so that one can attach the XITE to several machines by just repluggin the cable?

-greetings, markus-
Hi Kylie, yes and that's another point of having external box for XITE. I mean, if i understand your question well, it is also made so you can plug the XITE to another computer if desired.

It has to be confirmed, but the only "host card" inside the computer would be the pci-e plug... ?
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

spacef wrote:
kylie wrote:did anybody ask if the host cards will be sold separately, so that one can attach the XITE to several machines by just repluggin the cable?
Hi Kylie, yes and that's another point of having external box for XITE. I mean, if i understand your question well, it is also made so you can plug the XITE to another computer if desired.
exactly. have 3 computers (one mac in the studio, one pc at home, and a laptop) and share the xite outboard among all of them.
I assume you get a single card of your choice together with the xite box, and all additional cards will be offered separately. just wanted to know if they will sell the cards standalone.
It has to be confirmed, but the only "host card" inside the computer would be the pci-e plug... ?
I think of it like a magma host card. only the outboard is no pci backplane but a big big scope card :)
and yes, confirmation of this would be nice to know. and the type of PCIe card (x1 or x4 or x8 or x16). just to be prepared...

-greetings, markus-
--
astroman

Post by astroman »

you're correct that it has to be confirmed officially...
but then it would be the most strange decision to not take advantage of the multiple-connectivity-feature ;)
it is an invaluable advantage (in critical situations) that you could have a backup machine ready to boot in the rack, if for some obsure reason your main OS disk crashes.
unplug-replug-boot :D

cheers, Tom
moxi

Post by moxi »

moxi wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but how can you say something STILL crashes when no-one's tried the final version yet? That was my point.
again, that was a question...as now the box exist, I suppose it's not so difficult to test such a thing, as it's not difficult to mesure the S/N ratio, the Harm. distortion and so on, (the price let suggest it's a pro gear, so that is something usual to do).. nor to communicate about that.

or all is theorical, so when SC say it's 10 times the 14DSPs power inside, does this is theorical?

do they go to the music messe to present a new product or a new conceptual thing?

I suppose the dev know how are defined midi buffer and other technical things like that.

even if I have been disappointed by the last update of this stuff, I'm pretty interrested in this new one, so I have to know more about, that's my point, dude..and from my side I don't plane just to use it to emulate a complexe hall loading 45 masterverb...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

OK moxi i think i'll leave it there - it's an English point i was making. The word STILL implies that the Xite has a previous history of crashing. The Xite has no previous history of anything yet, that was my point.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

astroman wrote:you're correct that it has to be confirmed officially...
but then it would be the most strange decision to not take advantage of the multiple-connectivity-feature ;)
although that is another suggestion what they'd better should do or not, I still second that in this case :)
it is an invaluable advantage (in critical situations) that you could have a backup machine ready to boot in the rack, if for some obsure reason your main OS disk crashes.
unplug-replug-boot :D
that would be another but nevertheless important reason.
--
jdieks

Post by jdieks »

lagoausente wrote:
voidar wrote:
lagoausente wrote: With such power, and cost, logical would be to can access to make convolution for it, and have no limit for the pci bandwith before the own dsp limit.
why would you want convolutions if you can remake the original algo's with enough power?

convolutions are static... real algo's arn't.
voidar

Post by voidar »

I.m.o. convulutions are more hype than practical. I'd rather use a high-quality reverb algo. Even for "real" spaces.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

I hereby take copyright of the name xlite-1™ ;)
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

jdieks wrote:
lagoausente wrote:
voidar wrote: why would you want convolutions if you can remake the original algo's with enough power?

convolutions are static... real algo's arn't.
Static is relative, don´t you think? Since you can load any impulse in a convolution soft it opens a wide range of posibilities, not only reverb, but also impulses from a guitar amp cabinet, a hardware compressor, or anything you like. The good point is that there is a lot of impulses out there of many spaces, devices etc etc, and most free, and even you can make your own impulses and share it. So from this point of view is not very static, otherwise it´s very open.
I haver read that native convolution soft sounds worse than some dedicated hardware out there. Why not exploit all the posbilities? It´s a nice dsp hardware very promising. Many guys don´t need such power, don´t need many things, true, but since this devices it´s not finally developed yet I think it´s time to SC can tune it in the best direction.
Today, RAM is no so expensive, and maybe in the future SC may want to develop a sampler that can load big Gigs, that would attract many guys.
The Xite-1 has near all the posibilities of a pro Studio in a little 1u rack, so why not put there "all them" ? Giga, Synths, mixing, convolution, routing... just all.
That would be the best marketing avaible, and if Xite-1 could do on DSP all a computer can do on Native, there would be much reasons to go from Native to Xite-1, and no reason to not go (more if they sell a lower price version).
Since my point of view, it´s better to develop without any knock bottle, and time will tell if finally exploit all or not, but the best is that there is no "but" at all.
In the other hand, I have seen some photos of the first Pulsar card prototyes in a thread some week ago. Some of those prototypes had RAM slot. So they have already done it! , and so they know how to develop it and make it work, and so why not put 2 or 3 of this slots. They could sell it without the RAM, as an option of upgrade, so the cost would be the same, and if anybody or the future make the needing of them, who wants, just buy some RAM at put it on the slots. Why not?
I have no knowledge about the posibilities that brings the chips own memory so can´t tell, but anyway the RAM would be a good point for loading GIGs in the future. It seems not very logical such amount of data traveling to and from the PC, just because using the RAM on the PC.
And in the other hand, you may want the PC ram free for any other uses.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

and to the "why should you need, convolution" or "why should you need..."

Yes, it´s true, but I ask, why should you need 140dsp?
So, it they make a exagerated machine, why not exploit it at the best? Would be ilogical, and not proportional with the power of the dsp it has.
moxi

Post by moxi »

The word STILL implies that the Xite has a previous history of crashing. The Xite has no previous history of anything yet, that was my point.
I agrre, I choiced the wrong english world, I was reffering to the old hardware, I'm sure none will be confused..