SCOPE X-ite still VIRTUAL?

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

It was really great to finally meet Mehdi (SpaceF)! Super nice guy, and quite knowledgable (of course!). He and Martin (warp69) finally also got to meet, after several disconnects of just missing each other. Looking forward to seeing the others in the coming days.

The other thing I wanted to mention that is new and quite impressive is the granular synth plugin done in-house by a new guy. It's going to be called the 'Gizzmo', and is the result of some really excellent work! The first new synthesis approach for a device in many years (not counting some of the Flexor modules). Mehdi, did you get a picture of that as well?

john b.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hey John,
I was extremely pleased to meet you, and Martin at last !! and all the great Sonic Core team and their spirit. Jurgen, Holger, Klaus, Ralph Mr KeyMan and Ralf "Mr i really love to play prodissey loud" :D ). I was feeling a bit guilty to leave after one day only and not seeing everyone who will join the Mess.... It is a great team at Sonic Core and they do products that are really not easy to produce or even to imagine

Ok so, if everyone is ok, I will continue blogging in this thread. (otherwise i can move in Off topic where i will try to post some other pics less related to scope...

EDITED I removed some pics that I intended for planetz core users only, as a very sneak preview ;-) thank you.
Attachments
GIZZMO granular synth, here pictured in Scope v 5.0
GIZZMO granular synth, here pictured in Scope v 5.0
GIZMO.jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Last edited by spacef on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:30 am, edited 11 times in total.
husker

Post by husker »

:o :D

this is looking gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

tease us a bit Mehdi :D

never seen pics with so much anticipation.
pling

Post by pling »

:o :o :o granular synth, coool! more of that kinda news, please :D
the new fx look really nice as well.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I hope theres a choice about having bright white background blasting in your face!

anyways apart from that it looks amazing. 18dsp is good, it meanss they can use less of them in a smaller version :D
spacef

Post by spacef »

Neutron wrote:18dsp is good, it meanss they can use less of them in a smaller version :D
yes and no because as now users have an option to assign devices to particular dsps if they want to, so it can be useful to have headroom. Also, the synths used in the picture of the dsp meter are pretty light ones, for which 8 voices is not impossible at all on Scope already. For mixing, you can have a lot of dynamic effects, eqs etc active on all channels.

Well, it is true that not everybody needs such a power. Some people really do (studios or Live performers who need to be able to go in the project as far as possible without boucing/changing project).
Last edited by spacef on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Wow! very sexy.

Very exciting.Can't wait.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

all this looks very promising. :)

I am really glad that there is a new channel strip eq also !

the peq4 was always nice for "rough tasks".
I hope the new one is more the "precision type" eq.

wow wow wow.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
maky325

Post by maky325 »

New hardware, new algos, new devices(that eq is looking like SSL strip, hopefully it will sound even smoother then peq4) , new skin, new driver... 8) :D
husker

Post by husker »

so who is who then?

bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

more pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Medhi and John .... That's so Xiting...

Jo
moxi

Post by moxi »

Is it possible to see the % of DSP load? your picture is two time cutted at a non convenient place... :-?

new drivers: fine, two or three new devices (even if they look like just a redraw of the old one for the Eqs): fine..

not to borring you, but the SONIC CORE Platform seems to be nothing else than a white and black SFP..

it look like the dev effort mainly serve to crossgrade to new DSPs and to update drivers for new OS, look promising for the next upcoming years, but nothing revolutionnary at this time.. even if the DSP power look great, who will need to get 140DSPs amount for this price, when besides 14DSP boards price drop down and so you can get enough power for your need at half the price (for 3 * 14dsp board)? about pci bandwith problem, who really need to load 35 reverb at the same time?

does the new platform have new mixers that benefit from the huge amount of power (higher mixing bitdepht, as some other dsp platform already propose 56bit mixing headroom..?)

maybe there is something new about MIDI handling? Does the Xcite still crash when overloaded with Pbend data or just forwarding sysex to other gear?

what is new in the patchbay?

thanks..
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

thanks for this pics and info so far.
Did SC have any info about possible other new hardware options besides the XITE-1? (lower DSP, different I/O)
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Cool..... just cool......

Did you max out DSP with the 4 synth w/ 8 voices and some sfx ?
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

"maybe there is something new about MIDI handling? Does the Xcite still crash when overloaded with Pbend data or just forwarding sysex to other gear? "

This is what I want to know as I have been suffering for 6yrs with midi related crashes/freezes (pulsar II) only the benefits and lack of an alternate solution have kept me loyal.
jdieks

Post by jdieks »

moxi wrote:Is it possible to see the % of DSP load? your picture is two time cutted at a non convenient place... :-?

new drivers: fine, two or three new devices (even if they look like just a redraw of the old one for the Eqs): fine..

not to borring you, but the SONIC CORE Platform seems to be nothing else than a white and black SFP..

it look like the dev effort mainly serve to crossgrade to new DSPs and to update drivers for new OS, look promising for the next upcoming years, but nothing revolutionnary at this time.. even if the DSP power look great, who will need to get 140DSPs amount for this price, when besides 14DSP boards price drop down and so you can get enough power for your need at half the price (for 3 * 14dsp board)? about pci bandwith problem, who really need to load 35 reverb at the same time?

does the new platform have new mixers that benefit from the huge amount of power (higher mixing bitdepht, as some other dsp platform already propose 56bit mixing headroom..?)

maybe there is something new about MIDI handling? Does the Xcite still crash when overloaded with Pbend data or just forwarding sysex to other gear?

what is new in the patchbay?

thanks..

more power=more devices... i don't know what you're doing with your scope board(s), but playing 2 pro-5s polyphonic makes my 3 pulsar 2s crumble...

so yeah, if you have 3 scope pros you can do about all the mixing realtime... but if you have 7 more virtual dsps means people can start making better sounding algos... like reverbs that DO sound close to lexicon ones for instance...

so stop whining like you're from some conservative party or something :P

besides.. 1 more generation of mainboards and there won't be pci on it anymore probebly
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

jdieks wrote:besides.. 1 more generation of mainboards and there won't be pci on it anymore probebly
there are current boards (with core2 support) that have even ISA available. remember that long black slots? :)
these are made for special applications and environments for those who can't afford to get rid of their precious expansions. a serious DAW would be a candidate for that, imho.

PCI is not dead.

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

moxi wrote:Does the Xcite still crash when overloaded with Pbend data or just forwarding sysex to other gear?
Wow, you've already got an Xite then moxi? Didn't know anyone had used it long enough to know that it STILL crashes.