Modular and presets

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jah Servant

Modular and presets

Post by Jah Servant »

hopefully my last modular question for a while, give you all a little break.
let's say I build a synth in modular and I want to keep all the devices without switching them out or adding new ones, and build patches with what I have. Is this what the preset list is for? Because it's not working, it doesn't seem to save all the settings, some things change and some don't. On one osc the pitch will change but on the other it won't, as well as one evelope responding and one not, other things as well. So do I have to save each patch as a separate device instead of using the presets?
bless
widy

Post by widy »

workflow
create patch
create preset for this patch

if you add modules to the patch the new modules are not handled in the old preset... store it as a different patch with own preset .pre file with new presets
lg widy
pling

Post by pling »

Jah Servant wrote: So do I have to save each patch as a separate device instead of using the presets?
yes indeed. there is this infamous 'preset bug' in the new mod2 + mod3 shell (not in the old mod2, but it has other disadvantages). you'll find many old theads with this issue on Z.
sometimes all modules are saved, sometimes not. you can avoid this bug with some effort, but the easiest way is to save each 'preset' as a patch.
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

thanks, so I end up having to load a new modular everytime I want a new sound then.
Is it too much to wish it be fixed in v5.0??? :D
Please, I'm not trying to start another v5 thread, just a joke, take it easy.
at0m

Saving patches and presets in modular

Post by at0m »

Jah Servant,

Do not let the name 'patches' in Scope confuse you with its use in VST world, where patches are often preset lists. In Scope, a patch is a shell with its modules, useable in any project as a complete device.

Saving a modular patch saves the shell, also a device, to a device. This patch can be reloaded and will contain all modules, their settings and optional a reference to a preset list file, which will be loaded automatically along with the device. Preset lists store references and values of module parameters.

The normal preset list saves the settings for all modules currently in the device. When modules added later, their settings will not be stored in previously saved presets. Re-saving each preset will add the new modules' setting to the preset list. Not saving can also be used creatively, for example I like to delete BPM controls after saving presets, and add them again: I can then change presets and keep the BPM.

Settings saved in the project override the panel settings of the saved device. To avoid preset problems, create the device first, then start making presets. When saving device (=patch) to a new one, also save the preset list to a new one. You can import preset lists from other (previous) patch versions if you want.

To be really sure:
- Preset lists should be unique to a device,
- Save preset list after presets after the device,
- Save devices instead of presets,
- Save, save, save.
- Look into using version numbers, for projects as for devices.

Hope this can serve as a small reference guide :)

at0m.
Last edited by at0m on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

A preset list only can contain the settings of the modules already present. If you add new modules the old preset list isn't good anymore. That's not a bug. It's like deciding to make a partition on an hard disk of 40 GB because that is what you think you need and then pretending to put 60 GB inside it. You only have to delete that partition and make a bigger one from scratch.

Maybe it's an oversimplified example also because there are tools and workarounds for the partitions, but the concept is similar.

Bottom line: if you make module and connection changes to a patch you have to delete the old preset list and make a new one. It seems logical though, it's another device....if you just turn the knobs the synth remains the same and no problems with the preset list.
at0m

Post by at0m »

crossposting, are we, alf? :)
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

at0m wrote:crossposting, are we, alf? :)
ye :) you are a much faster typer than me!
pling

Post by pling »

at0m wrote: When modules added later, their settings will not be stored in previously saved presets. Re-saving each preset will add the new modules' setting to the preset list.
that does not always work, at least for me. but i have just rediscovered this trick: http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21551
if this really works, that would be cool! maybe i would then stop calling it a bug :P

but read also the 2nd post:
Lima wrote: NOTE: anyway some modules don't save the preset, but this is related to the module itself, not to the preset bug.

For example the 2x1 switches made by JB or the Flexor's elastic-XY don't save their preset.

To check if the module can save the preset, just open a new shell and add the module then save the preset (init). Then change the parameter and recall the preset.
would be cool, if those could be fixed :)
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

i guess a matrix could do some good work here as well?
at0m

Post by at0m »

pCora wrote:
Lima wrote: NOTE: anyway some modules don't save the preset, but this is related to the module itself, not to the preset bug.

For example the 2x1 switches made by JB or the Flexor's elastic-XY don't save their preset.

To check if the module can save the preset, just open a new shell and add the module then save the preset (init). Then change the parameter and recall the preset.
would be cool, if those could be fixed :)
These can only be fixed in SDK, it means the parameter isn't presetised.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

ok, thanks everybody, here's what I'm having a problem with:
I build a synth with 2 osc, fitlers and env, very simple thing.
I save this as a device.
Then I change parameters and create a preset list and save these changes as a preset, however when I recall it doesn't bring back all changes, for instance one osc tuning will change while the other will not, one env values will change but the other won't.
All the used modules stay, I don't add or exchange any modules. I treat it just like a regular synth, it's the same as making presets for Minimax or anything else, but the presets don't seem to save everything. I'll try the tip in the above link, but it's not that different from what I'm doing, but maybe it will work.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Jah Servant wrote:ok, thanks everybody, here's what I'm having a problem with:
I build a synth with 2 osc, fitlers and env, very simple thing.
I save this as a device.
Then I change parameters and create a preset list and save these changes as a preset, however when I recall it doesn't bring back all changes, for instance one osc tuning will change while the other will not, one env values will change but the other won't.
All the used modules stay, I don't add or exchange any modules. I treat it just like a regular synth, it's the same as making presets for Minimax or anything else, but the presets don't seem to save everything. I'll try the tip in the above link, but it's not that different from what I'm doing, but maybe it will work.
That's strange, it's not what I experience. You save the modular with an unique name?
Jah Servant

Post by Jah Servant »

Yes I save it with it's own name.
I tried according to the thread in the above post and that is working for me, strange. Thanks everybody.
idiso

Post by idiso »

If you want to avoid always rebuilding your patch completely try some of the following:

-envelope(esp.multi-segment)preset changes are sometimes not visualized,so try the normal adsrs,
-if you use mix modules,use micro mixer ,the others(esp mix2) do "occasionally" not save parameter changes.

I just experienced problems with oscs and presets with the multi osc and fm osc modules,so if everything else works,
just exchange them with another one and try it again-at least it works for me,for the fm osc it is better to use modulation synthesis osc.

Apart from that all the rules above apply.:wink:
Scope forever