Digitising Vinyl

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mondo

Digitising Vinyl

Post by mondo »

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that I have to connect my turntable to my hi-fi amp and use the tape-line-outs to the soundcard to digitise my vinyl recordings? i.e. I can't go straight from the turntable RCA outs to my mixer then to the soundcard can I?
Yep...sure...I could set this up and find out for myself...but um...it's late and I'm going to bed and I'm hoping someone will have the answer by the time I get up tomorrow.

Thanks,
Neil
zangsta

Re: Digitising Vinyl

Post by zangsta »

mondo wrote:Hi,

Am I right in thinking that I have to connect my turntable to my hi-fi amp and use the tape-line-outs to the soundcard to digitise my vinyl recordings? i.e. I can't go straight from the turntable RCA outs to my mixer then to the soundcard can I?
Yep...sure...I could set this up and find out for myself...but um...it's late and I'm going to bed and I'm hoping someone will have the answer by the time I get up tomorrow.

Thanks,
Neil
That´s right. you have to go trough some kind of pre-amp, unless you happen to have one of the recently made vinyl-players with built-in pre-amp.
I have been thinking of buying one of the new ones that use USB-connection stright to the computer. i have a lot of old vinyl, some very rare ones as well.

Cheers
Jörgen
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi,

you've got to connect it thru a preamp with earth for your turntable and connect the output to your sound card accordingly,

regards,

didier
pling

Post by pling »

Wolf made a useful freebie: PhonoPreAmp
"Now you can stick your turntable directly onto your scope."
:)
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi pCora,

you will still have to connect it physicaly anyway, where do you connect the earth as every turntable bares one except the usb versions,
the phone amp is just a software interface between your turntable and scope,

regards,

didier,

pd: if the phoneamp is sufficient for the purpose of retrieving your vinyls sounds, then I'm a happy mofo :P
pling

Post by pling »

i haven't tried it yet, but i would just try to stick earth to the comp-case, or anything else that is connected to earth (like a (pre-)amp :P )

the plugin from wolf replaces any phono-input, you go straight into line-input.
astroman

Post by astroman »

the preamps on the Scope boards are 5532s which are pretty low noise by nature.
Wolf's amp does indeed work surprisingly well by adding a lot of gain to the first stage.
It doesn't replace a high end phono pre, though (which is not it's purpose anyway), but it can be a handy tool.

I have a Phonobox cheapo (yet quality pre) or alternatively the NAD1020, which has a well regarded phono input stage.
The NAD is a versatile box (I use it to drive active monitors, too) and usually cheaper than a dedicated phono preamp of similiar quality.
The version with 30Watt powerstage is called 3020, one of the most common high end (entry) systems. Both units can be found for less then 100 Euro.

cheers, Tom
Micha

Post by Micha »

normal setup is turntable - RIAA phono preamp - line In for hardware.
In the project you go analog in - osiris - mixer - wave out or asio out.
As recording software I use Wavelab Lite, so I use wave out. 24 bit.
After normalize or limiter I convert back to 16 bit and burn it.
Once you've checked out how to configure osiris it's fast and easy.
Edit:
of course, you can add psyq or optimaster, sometimes they do miracles.
valis

Post by valis »

How a phono pre reacts to the needle/magnet assembly in a turntable's tonearm is based not just on the 'RIAA Curve' or filter, but also the load (impedance) seen by the magnet or coil the needle is feeding, the capacitance in the phono circuit (most very cheap phono pre's have little capacitance and hence suffer very poor transient response) and the input voltage. Impedence for most non-stereophile parts are roughly around the range of 47kOhm with required capacitance being anywhere from 100-500pF.

Direct connection to a standard rca style input and post processing with an Eq is not the ideal, to be used only when you have no other option. No disrespect to Wolf's device at all....

I would also avoid inexpensive turntables with direct usb connections. If you aren't in the market for a dj or hifi turntable, finding a unit secondhand in decent operating condition is VERY VERY easy, and you'll find units that were once upper midrange for mainstream users at thrift store prices. My only concern using a modern multifunction reciever as my phono pre would be how it's treating the signals internally. If it's passing through an AD/DA stage (modern recievers are becoming digital internally as it's far less costly to do the mixing and routing in a chip than with circuitry) or picking up a lot of noise from the onboard amp circuit, etc. There are relatively inexpensive phono pre's available from ART and other companies that will work just fine.