Flexor III patches

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ben Walker

Flexor III patches

Post by Ben Walker »

Thought I'd start this thread to get people's thoughts on the Flexor III patches, seeing as I've managed to hijack the similar thread that Jimmy already started elsewhere :wink:
There's a full list of the factory patches here.

Last night I had great fun playing with the 303 emulation, 'TB free-0-free'. A great showcase for the rubber filter.

And 'with strings attached' is a surprisingly good electric bass patch. Really playable and very realistic for a synthesised bass.

At the moment I'm hardly examining how the patches are built, just loading them up and playing, but I'm excited to start to examine some of these new modules in detail.

Ben
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

I am definitly in love with all those Pads :)

Massivo "works" :P
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Not sure if any of the factory patches are using it, but I'm really enjoying using the pattern LFO. Very nice idea.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Ben Walker wrote:Not sure if any of the factory patches are using it, but I'm really enjoying using the pattern LFO. Very nice idea.
I made one that uses it as oscillator source and it's very interesting soundwise, extremely punchy in some cases...
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Pattern LFO was on a patch made by some guy named Assaf Dar whoever that is. That little module is very cool. I love changing it around in a preset. Plus I really was attracted by it's name...........................The THIN BASTSARD.

I thought it was maybe an inside joke by the developers, as the first preset was thin, but the following pre.'s were actually FAT BASTARDS, and the Pattern LFO is gonna be fun.

BTW Brotha' Man Ben, You are a supreme synth man in my eyes. ReD_MuZe was keen enough to catch a good marketing approach by making all patches load on a 1 card ( 6 DSP ) set up, and he included many mainstream sounds, which I am sure he found painfully boring, but wise choice indeed. And now you have made it possible to see the family tree, very considerate, and also wise, as many young guys these days are swayed by immediate conclusions, and GUI marketing w/ all of it's glorious terms for doing little but adding a variation of sound. The variations in Modular using Flexor III are extreme.

Anyone who has a 6 DSP card can play, and if they don't buy this awesome sounding set of modules, they are not synth men. As Arnold Shwarzenegger said of the California legislators 2 years ago,...." They Are Girly Men ". :lol:

My favorite so far is Sea Seanth, as it is named after many areas of the Medditteraenean. Made by that Assaf Dar guy whoever he is, but there was no Dead Sea, so I shall make one in honor of the name Creamware, as it lived and died a very noble death, and was resurected by SonicCore. :D
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

ehem - im assaf.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

true :lol:
dawman

Post by dawman »

I Know ReD,.........................And I am a FAT BASTARD !!

I'm just having so much fun w/ this. The Sea Seanth is awesome. I have added some modules and used this as a basis type patch. I already have created 6 presets all named after an old sample from my Emulator II days called " Fairlight Moods".

I know this sounds strange but I love playing a minor 11th, i.e. Root being F below middle C, and then middle C, E flat, G, and B flat on the top. Since these patches are 3 note capable I must add the Fairlight Moods preset from ProWave that I made where I can sweep the waveforms and sample Oscillator using my expression pedal. But the trick is to sustain the chord, and have the pitch bend wheel set to a minor third up and down. Play the chord once, and just transpose it w/ the pitch bend wheel while sustaining the chord. With my other hand I solo on KS88 # 2 where C4T, and my analog SE-1x are layered together. I just go nuts soloing and cannot STOP it sounds so good. Of course all of SpaceF's delays and SSB Modulator are rockin' out as well. The progression is an F minor 11th, A flat minor 11th, F minor 11th, D minor 11th, then repeat for hours and hours !!!

Wilma will be sorry she bought this for me, as when she gets back from Arizona Saturday, she will have to literally grab my schwanz to get me to stop playing. So Flexor III not only gets me off, but her admirable skills as well. A multiple orgasm you could say.

I Am Elated With My New Weapons !!!
wayne

Post by wayne »

Nice progression, JV. Great fusion practice loop. Gives a room that Zawinul feel instantly.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Wayne,

It was called Birdfingers from Larry Coryell and the 11th House. One of the Brecker brothers played wah-wah trumpet along with Larry's guitar lick. The song itself is an excercise.

It's in 6/8 time at a fast tempo, and the hook line is a polyrhythm over the top. It's a guitarist's, and horn players dream to jam over. But I was not about to let them have all of the fun, as it is a synth players pleasure as well.

Jam On My Brotha'.

Just found a beautiful preset which freaked me out. Don't know who did it, but it was called " Out There " from the patch Magic Carpet . It sounds like a synth being played in a cave where stalaggtites are dripping water panned left and right. The water dripping seems to be in surround sound as well.

Faxi Nadu, Leper, that guy named Assaf whoever he is,......... these guys have done an excellent, really excellent job at showing the power of this ridiculously cheap ( in price only ) designer synth package.

I shall be posting my happiness with this product for at least a year !!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well Here I go Again,
I used a real analog modular for 2 tours back in the early '80s. I made a killer lead patch ( monophonic ) and had sine, square, and pulse variations of it. As when I was playing I had little time to do patching, only basics. But I concluded that a Modular synth did not need tons of polyphony, I left that up to the Oberheims, ARP String, B3, etc.

Flexor III had that polyphony limitation issue, but I don't see it that way, at least for my use. I have Zarg's synths, what more could one need in that department. Flexor III should be used as a Tri, or duo-phonic synth anyway, as it's sound seems to lose detail with the extra polyphony.
2 and 3 voice intervals are quite powerful with the right preset, and since I am polyphonically happy with Zarg's power, and monophonically happy with the SE-1x, C4T, and ProOne Vrs. 3, Flexors poly and sound fits perfectly in my projects. I can use 4 instances of Modular via Flexor III, a C4T, and an eight voice Prowave, with several of my favorite effects. A 3 x 15DSP DAW made for Flexor to be used live could hold 7 or 8 of these, which along with all of the presets would be the most diverse synth DAW, as one could have a Waldorf WAVE Clone, a subtractive synth, a granular, and five othe choices of Modular to boot. That would be killer,.....hhhmmmm. Maybe the hardware Solaris w/ one of these, and a ProWave, B2003, C4T, ProOne DAW will cure my 3PDS disease. As you all know I suffer from the 3rd Party Developers Syndrome.

The Best Winter Of My Life Is Just 'Round The Corner !!!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have succeded in the simplest of tasks I am sure, but none the less, I tweaked a great patch, and added, deleted a couple of things to get the old ARP String Ensemble sound. To get the Styx " Come Sail Away " sound, one only needs to add Celmo's Phaza, but as it sits now it is a spot on emulation of the sound in " Down At The Sunset Grill ", or " Dream Weaver ".

This is very feeble I know, but I have heard others here, and they were not emu's of the ARP String Ensemble. I played that FAT BASTARD for years, and can confidently say it is spot on.

PM me if you want it,
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

I like it when a patch mkes me laugh.

I was happily playing the lovely Clavimonix patch when I loaded the Space Ape preset. Well, it's not very Clav like (the preset, that is, not the patch as a whole) but it took me by surprise and made me laugh!

More delights discovered every day - I am in awe of the guys who built all of these great patches (not to mention the people who built F3 of course).

Ben