on an asus A7N8X-E deluxe, amd 2800+ barton, 2 GO dual ram 400,
80 GO ide 7200rpm maxtor system drive,
200 GO sata1 7200rpm maxtor project drive
it works very good
but
i have a raptor 74 go 10000 rpm that i would use as system disk
and a new wd 200go 7200rpm that i would combine in raid with my previous
200 go
but on the asus i just have 2 serial ata1 connectors...
i have a pci card with 2 additional connectors

so i want to put the system on the raptor on the mother board connector
and the two raid 200 go unit on the pci additionnal card
so my question is

this pci serial ata card will kill my pci bandwith?
the increase will be less than the decrease of my system config?

thanx a lot
jonathan
Micha

Post by Micha »

yes, it will decrease bandwidth. Do you want to mirror or stripe? In case of mirror, ok, safety first, in case of stripe, maybe you win a bit but I don't think it's worth it, the pci rules your performance after all, so the amount your stripe could do cannot be delivered by the rest of the bandwidth flowing out of your scope outputs. Taking the second 200g as a parking lot for important files is maybe a better idea.
hubird

Post by hubird »

welcom on board Emo :-)
I can understand you thought this Tech forum is the right one for your question.
Yet I'd suggest to use the problem forum for stuff like this.
After all, most questions have a 'tech' component, the tech talk forum would get a problem solving forum soon, and we have already one :-D
emo

Post by emo »

thanx a lot

if i have understand raid is not a good idea
but put the system to the raptor it is good?

sorry for the area where i put my topic i didn't know
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

emo wrote: if i have understand raid is not a good idea
but put the system to the raptor it is good?
1) I have a mirror connected to a 3ware sata raid controller for non system storage. maybe I have not the bandwidth I had without it, but I don't feel too limited right now.

2) I also have a raptor as system disk. that was indeed a good decision, although it's not redundant...

my board, btw, has additional sata ports with software raid functionality. but I chose not to use them since I prefer hw raid (that can be simply migrated to another system by unplugging the whole bunch and re-inserting, can be accessed without pita with linux and is, last but not least, much more performant)

I do consider, nevertheless, to kick the whole storage bunch off the machine and establish a nas box with left over parts, for several reasons.

-greetings, markus-

ps. hubird, I think the question is right where it belongs. it's tech stuff that is not related to an existing problem. it's kinda "what if ..?" stuff, and I would have put a question like that here, too :)
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
hubird

Post by hubird »

kylie wrote:
emo wrote:ps. hubird, I think the question is right where it belongs. it's tech stuff that is not related to an existing problem. it's kinda "what if ..?" stuff, and I would have put a question like that here, too :)
Yeah, like posts in the Tips&Tricks forum sometimes where people ask for tips to solve a specific problem... :-D
I'd say, let's stay on the safe side ;-)