Almost got the AMD with VIA chipset!!!

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

SL1200MK4

Post by SL1200MK4 »

First of all, I am a new member to this forum, and I have own my pulsar for about 2 year, now. I have a few things list in my sig. Not that I am trying to show off, let me make that clear, I do this in car forums all da time.

I almost brough a mobo with VIA chipset. I have never realize all those issues that I must be aware of with my Pulsar.

In a way I should feel lucky that I didn't throw my money away, BUT at the same time, I have reconsider what to get all over again...

Maybe I will wait a bit and get the new P4 system with the i845 chipset then...
at0m

Post by at0m »

Were you able to do what you expected it to do that time? Or did you have to leave your Pulsar card aside cos 'you got errors all the time'?
SL1200MK4

Post by SL1200MK4 »

Damn, my sig didn't show like what I expected.

Well, have the P3-600, with a VIA chipset. To be honest, I have never really seem to run of PCI bandwith.

I am getting a new system because my current system is dying (bad powersupply, bad harddrive, loud as hell)

I was gonna get a mobo with VIA chipset again, but thank got I didn't. Don't know what to get now thought...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I have an nForce in my lab right now. :smile: I will give you it's PCI performance after the weekend, if an AMD is still of interest to you. If it's good, then I suspect ideally we'd all want the still-coming striped down version of nForce called i415 -- still dual channel DDR - but without onboard sound/video. Can't wait to find out the results myself - watch this forum :smile:

Otherwise, I would probably go with either ASUS P4B266 or ASUS P4TE, i845-DDR or i850. Both have great PCI performance and good memory bandwidth to feed a new Northwood P4... quiet, cool, and a great match with Creamware stuff.
Drum-Maker

Post by Drum-Maker »

It would be cool!!

Because i've rdy a Thunderbird 1200 Mhz with a A7V266-E Mobo and all is going wonderful!! but i've only a Luna 2 (too poor in processing).

Regards

Drum Maker
SL1200MK4

Post by SL1200MK4 »

Subhuman:

Thanks for the info, my P3-600 system is dying right, now.

I outta pick up my new system 2 weeks ago, but when I realized that the VIA chipset is not good for Pulsar. I decided that I might have to go with the Northwood P4, since I don't want the AMD chipset to go with my XP.

Perhaps I will also wait and see how the strip down nForce chipset will do.

BTW, I have the VIA chipset right, now. and I only had the problem with the PCI overflow once. I only got 4 DSP on my Pulsar I, and I am not even pushing it hard. So, I guess that's why.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

nForce had identical PCI performance to VIA KT266A - that is to say, very poor. :sad: I was <i>really</i> sad when I ran the tests and tried everything to get the numbers up higher... oh well.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

We have to forget all AMD for Pulsar, that is what i think... :sad:
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

I tried: forget amd, via!forget amd, via!forget amd, via!forget amd, via!forget amd, via!forget amd, via!forget amd, via!

didn't work so what now :grin:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

throw it by the window and look it crash 7 floor down... That will help you forget... Or at least take a big one and call me sometime !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2002-02-08 11:05 ]</font>