Hey Subhuman

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

i did a search on motherboards and i found one of your threads that stated

"The best chipset for PCI performance is by far the AMD761. Three favorites, ASUS A7M266, GigaByte GA-7DX, Epox 8K7A"

i can currently only find locally a
Asus A7A266 DDR (AMD K7 will this do the trick as well?? i currently have a via motherboard and have numerous pci bandwidth issues and wanted to upgrade my amd 1.2 to better motherboard
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

ALi Magic chipset? Well only the '-C' versions of that chipset are good. I probably will never test an Ali chipset. I heard decent results... slightly above VIA but still below Intel chipsets for our purposes (info from someone on CW forum a few months back, not a '-c' verison).

It might be good to wait a couple days for me to put up my PCI results with nForce (I did just build one last evening, but haven't had time to throw in the DSP cards yet).

To be honest, I am not going to test every new chipset that comes out; I'm probably going to drop AMD entirely, and build only Intel machines. People who want AMD generally like to build their own machines anyway. That is, unless the nForce I built last night impresses me with it's PCI performance... we'll see after I test that aspect of it. I like nForce for everything else so far though! :wink:
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

Thanks Sub no need to test it i got my answer in your reply i will keep looking for one of the ones you mentioned. it was my understanding that the amd machines were outperforming the ibm's can i assume from you statement that that has changed?