Pulsar with Sonar?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Luke Piasecki

Post by Luke Piasecki »

I'm learning Sonar, right now and I'm wondering if I should get and learn Cubase instead... is Pulsar strictly for working with Cubase, or will it also work with Sonar?

Thank you,
Luke
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I know that Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Fruity work well, Sonar should also work well. But does Sonar have VST? If not, the XTC you talked about in other thread is useless
Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

SONAR works fine with Pulsar. But it has no VST support (DX and DXi instead), no ASIO support either. Only Wave audio.
Luke Piasecki

Post by Luke Piasecki »

On 2002-01-10 02:08, Noctulius wrote:
SONAR works fine with Pulsar. But it has no VST support (DX and DXi instead), no ASIO support either. Only Wave audio.
Sonar has kind of VST support via plugins like DirectiXer or VST-DX Adapter. And since I'm new to audio, I have not yet learned the advantages of ASIO. I know that Sonar has much improved latency (through support of WDM drivers, which Cubase doesn't support?) but I'm not sure if it's equivallent to Asio.. probably not...

Luke
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Anyway you put this, asio is alot superior to WDM for the time being, maybe in 2 years, but now asio as lower latency.
Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

ASIO has another point over WDM: Currently (as it's finally found out) you can's use 24-bit Wave drivers in WXP. And 16 channels of wave is a max in WXP. As far as I concluded you can use 24-bit 64-channel Pulsar ASIO interface easily in XP.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

A few corrections, under WinME, you can use 16 Wave drivers for 32 channels inside Sonar, 24bit. Obviously this is still the OS to use with Sonar for now.

With Win2k, there is a limitation of that version of Windows, to only 10 wave devices. The Creamware driver was out a few months before XP was released. Under Win2k, you will NEVER be able to use more wave devices than you do now, Creamware can do nothing about it -- I imagine that this is one reason they wanted to skip Win2k entirely and develop for WinXP.

With WinXP, this wave device limitation is removed from the OS, but Creamware has not yet released a version of their drivers with XP-specific optimizations.

Wave drivers were never really intended to be used for multichannel low latency audio, and Cakewalk always has used wave drivers. With Win2k however, they worked with Microsoft to develop a new standard. There are VERY few cards which have 24-bit, low latency WDM-ks drivers, and I think it's an obvious step for Creamware to develop these.

But yes, you can use 64 channels of ASIO @ 24bit now in WinME/XP, at extremely low latencies...
bigBadWolf

Post by bigBadWolf »

I recently moved from Cakewalk 9.03 to SONAR 1.3.1.

In 9.03, I was able to record/playback in 24 bit. However, in SONAR, I am only able to operate with 16 bit audio - 24 bit WAV files will load into SONAR - even displaying waveforms - but are silent.

Any suggestions peeps ?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yes - for now use MME drivers under WinME with Sonar, and you should have no problem with 24-bit.

(sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear..)
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

big bad wolf:
If you are using 98 or me then you have to set the the sream>16bit audio to 3 bytes then 24bit will work fine(under the last tab of audio settings). for some reason sonar's wav profiler messes this up and sets it to one of the other settings. Also be carful if you experiment with the other settings some make the nastiest sound you have ever heard. BTW the files are playing now their just about 90dB too quiet. good luck

Ryan
bigBadWolf

Post by bigBadWolf »

thanks subhuman/RyanC,

I am using W98SE (P3,933, 512RAM) so will give your suggestion a whirl and advise of the result.

( it seems a little draconian to have to revert to 9.03 to record 24 bit audio and extremely frustrating not to be able to use the powerhouse of new effects within SONAR because of this issue, so i will eagerly try your suggestions)

bigBadWolf

Post by bigBadWolf »

RyanC - YOU ARE A F****NG LEGEND !!!!!!! :smile:

Your suggestion worked first time :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

You have solved a problem which both Cakewalk Head Office AND the Australian distributor of the product have been unable to answer after several attempts on my part to extract a solution.

Thank-you, thank-you !! yay 24 bit :smile:
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

Anyone know what are the best Sonar DMA buffer settings in 24-bit with Pulsar2?

Coz I think my midi and audio are slightly (just barely noticably) out of sync 50% of the time. Could be just my lame duron800+VIAkt133a system though... :smile:
agnishvatta

Post by agnishvatta »

I know that in WinXP I was able to use 24bit WDM in Sonar, but this was using an EGOSYS Waveterminal 2496. So 24bit at least works with some cards in Windows XP.