PCI master overflow Solved on K7g-lite

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DP

Post by DP »

I've tried a lot of solution, but The big old problem 'PCI master overflow' is always present. After removing ACPI the things goes better, but the problem was present....until......i disabled DMA on my two HD; I know that like this i've lost performance, but the problem was solved.
Now with this configuration i can work well:

AMD Athlon XP 1700 +
512 DDR
Creative SB64PCI
Controller SCSI Adaptec AIC-7850
2 HD UATA 100
Pulsar I
Motherboard Abit K7g-lite (AMD761+VIA686b)
AGP Geforce2 32Mb

Hope this could help somebody with the same configuration.
Sorry for bad english
Bye

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DP on 2002-01-23 05:26 ]</font>
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

How much did you lose HD performance after this? Noticably?
DP

Post by DP »

At the moment, i can do all the thing I want; I use 01v, and i record all in real time (no exporting audio) without problem (click.....etc) I don't know the limit, i have to try.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DP on 2002-01-23 06:56 ]</font>
JDifool

Post by JDifool »

Hi,
That's interesting. I have a KG7 and suffer also from this.
But first I have to check something about your setup: did you install the last VIA 4in1 and AMD CPUtoAGP drivers?
Anyway, thanks for the tweak!
Cheers

PS: Your english is good enought to let it know.
DP

Post by DP »

Yes, i've installed all the latest driver for the Via and AMD chipset, but before disable DMA the problem persist.
Bye
P.S.: Thanks for the english
digitalboy

Post by digitalboy »

DP,

I wish I had read your post before trying all the useless tips suggested in the Creamware manual. Disabling DMA is THE solution to the PCI overflow problem! I tried everything else (running my XP PC in "Standard PC" mode, disabling USB, etc.) and none of which made any difference whatsovever. I would still get PCI overflow errors literally every two minutes. As soon as I disabled DMA, everything started working the way it should. I can now run my STS5000, a couple of MasterVerbs, and the Pattern Delay without any problems.

You are my saviour! :smile:

Thanks!
DP

Post by DP »

You are welcome !
I'm happy this is the right solution :smile:
Bye
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

This is fine if you will only be running a few audio tracks. Disabling DMA severely restricts the number of audio tracks you can run.

Regards,
Stuart.
DP

Post by DP »

For now, with Cubase VST
32 Tracks 16bit and 24bit
with different effects, Send and insert
2 VST instruments, and i record all into a single stereo track in real time.
Yes, i notice less performance (I think that with DMA enable i could have performance x3, but for now i can work without PCI overflow problem.
I Hope VIA or AMD make a patch or new drivers to solve the problem without tweaking.
Sorry for bad english
Bye
DP

Post by DP »

Working without DMA, i notice that PCI overflow proplem was solved, but in my mind there is a question: 'Why disabling DMA there is no more PCI problem ?'. Why VIA or AMD don't analyze this problem and solved with a patch or similar ? For now i can work, but my performance are not full ! I Wanna use my computer with all his power, and now i can't !! Are there some genius that could create a patch solution (like George witch solve some problem with a patch on the Via Website, but only for MOBO total based on VIA chipset.....i have a fucking Hybrid KG7-lite with AMD761 chipset !!).
I've buy my new computer looking at Infinitevortex Website, and I try to take all the chipset i've read on tha DAW workstation AMD; the result is that now i've more problem than before !! I have to buy the computer at InfiniteVortex, but they don't send outside US......so.......
Sorry for bad english and sorry for long post.
Bye
DP

Post by DP »

Somebody with the same problem ?
Solution ?
Thanks in advance.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Via and AMD do not fix it because they do not care. If they did thay would have done something long ago.

now AMD is going to be "approving" some asus motherboards with VIA chipsets to try and get in the corporate space. i wonder if they will be fixed?

unfortunately for people who would like to use AMD "good enough" is not good enough.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

The AMD761 (even paired with a via south bridge) and the AMD762 are absolutely still the best chipsets for use with Creamware stuff <i>for an AMD processor</i> (Intel is still about twice the performance for PCI-specific devices). But still far behind intel. Wonder if Creamware could do some optimizations for these lesser chipsets? Anyway I probably wouldn't hold my breath - it works perfect and always has on the Intel platforms. And lots of people have no problems with the limitations of the AMD chipset...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-02-07 10:30 ]</font>
DP

Post by DP »

Hi Subhuman, i know you are a kind of guru of Pulsar, so give me some advice to solve this problem; I try all the normal way.
Teel me the secret.
Thanks in advance
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Guru? Nah, just means I post a lot heh. :wink:
DP

Post by DP »

Yes.....also for that :smile:
MAy you explain me how to work with my configuration ? It's similar to DAW workstation sell on Infinitevortex; gimme a hint. Plese.
Bye