The big old problem......

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DP

Post by DP »

My system:
Athlon XP 1700+
Abit Kg7 Lite (AMD 761)
VGA AGP ASUS v1700 (Geforce2 32mb)
512 Ram 266
Pulsar I
Adaptec 2940.
etc....
The big old problem 'PCI overflow....'
There is a program to tweak setting of PCI slot(not the wpcredit) ?
There is a definitive solution for this problem ???
Plese help !!
Sorry for bad english
Thank in advance.
Bye
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yup - get rid of your SCSI on that system or put it down to 10mb/sec. Or switch to Intel, and get twice as much PCI. :smile:
DP

Post by DP »

Thanks Subhuman, I'll try to put down SCSI tranfer.......but this is the solution ?
I've just buy my new PC, and for now i try to use this AMD processor (i've always use Intel CPU and Board........) now i take the decision to change.......and it wasn't a good decision.... :sad:
Bye
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

[edit]oops, delete[/edit]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Funktastico on 2002-01-17 03:05 ]</font>
MeloManiac

Post by MeloManiac »

DP, sorry to say, but yes. If you had checked these forums or the Creamware site, you'd see that everybody recommends an Intel motherboard, and especially one with the i815 chipset. However, I think you can tweak your VIA chipset to perform better. Have you tried messing with PCI Latency in the BIOS? Try setting it to 64. If you don't have that option in BIOS, you could try using WCPREDIT, but that is for 'hardcore' tweakers somewhat:)
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yes i815 chipset works like a clock (ASUS TUSL2-C is a good one), but I think if you are buying now that i845D ASUS P4B266 (P4 with DDR) or i850 ASUS P4TE (P4 with RDRAM). Both are excellent boards.

But I think you can make your current system workable - if you don't use your SCSI for your main harddisk (I don't suggest you do), then you will gain more PCI which will help with lower latencies, higher track counts, more STS voices, and more reverbs without clicks.