"Creamware products with Pentium 4 systems"

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Cy-lense

Post by Cy-lense »

Hi! Is there anyone who uses Pulsar or another Creamware product with a P4 system? On the CreamWare hompage they write:
"We have not finished all our tests yet and for this reason cannot recommend individual P4 systems.
However, the P4 chip sets i850 (RD-RAM) and i845 (SD-RAM) use the same ICH2 chip in the PCI bridge as the i815 chip set we currently recommend. This chip is important for the available PCI bandwidth. So theoretically PCI bandwidth should be ideal with P4 boards." [...]
Is there anybody who can tell me if the bandwidth of i850 and i845 chipsets is really ideal with P4 boards? Or are there also other chipsets that work with Pulsar as well or even better?

Robin
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

subhuman

Post by subhuman »

P4 rocks. ASUS P4TE is the successor to the popular CUSL2. If you're a CUSL2 owner currently, you won't be disappointed by the ASUS P4TE. But I suggest not buying anything slower than a 1.9Ghz P4 chip for performance reasons.
Cy-lense

Post by Cy-lense »

Hmm... sound's good! I think, I'm going to get one of these P4T-E ! Thanx!
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Lucky one... I gotta have an DSP upgrade before, so it will be only in May or June for me... :sad:
dxl

Post by dxl »

P4 1.4G is slow...............
I'm still seeing new things in life.
<p><a href="http://mp3.com/dxl">www.mp3.com/dxl</a></p>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

You're right a 1.4P4 is slower than a 1Ghz P3 or close! That's why I say get only 1.9Ghz or higher for a P4.

BTW: 2.2Ghz P4s are available now and are really, really fast. Can't wait until they drop in price so I can snag one!
Cy-lense

Post by Cy-lense »

Well, are there also other boards for P4 that work with DDR-RAM and work with Pulsar, too? RD-RAM is a bit expensive... :smile:
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

Why P4? Why not the faster and cheaper AMD XP 1900+ or 2000+?

Someone please explain this to me. Don't tell me it's because of PCI bandwidth because KT266a and AMD 761 should have enough.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Intel P4s are quieter (cooler), have better thermal protection and are currently the fastest CPU you can get on your desktop @ 2.2Ghz. (even beats out AMDs latest 2000+ by a few percentage poitns). Motherboards (platforms) for Intel based on Intel chipsets are the most reliable and stable in the industry, if they are made by a quality board mfg. VIA KT266A is really a poor performing chipset for PCI, still has the same 3 year old problem as all previous via chipsets. AMD761 is okay, but still only half as good PCI as a comparable Intel chipset. Intel motherboards are also more compatible, you can put in almost any audio card and get a reliable setup; not so, even with AMD's best chipset (which after lots of testing is still AMD761; still need to put an nForce system through it's paces).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-01-09 10:05 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Pricewatch.com memory prices:

256meg PC2100 DDR $62
256meg RDRAM $72

It's not that big of a difference and the performance is worth it to many people.
dxl

Post by dxl »

On 2002-01-07 10:14, subhuman wrote:
You're right a 1.4P4 is slower than a 1Ghz P3 or close! That's why I say get only 1.9Ghz or higher for a P4.

BTW: 2.2Ghz P4s are available now and are really, really fast. Can't wait until they drop in price so I can snag one!
eliam

Post by eliam »

It's too bad I didn't read this before buying my A7M266 motherboard and 1.2 Ghz Athlon, as recommended on the infinite vortex site. Now I have plenty of clicks and crackles when I run my sts sampler... Subhuman, I suggest that you specify on your site what you say on the forums, so people aren't misled and know the truth...

No grudge anyway, we're all here to learn :smile:
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

On 2002-01-09 10:04, subhuman wrote:
...AMD761 is okay, but still only half as good PCI as a comparable Intel chipset. Intel motherboards are also more compatible, you can put in almost any audio card and get a reliable setup; not so, even with AMD's best chipset (which after lots of testing is still AMD761; still need to put an nForce system through it's paces).
Is there any MoBo with an intel chipset that can take a 1.4GHz Athlon CPU? Or does any Athlon-compatible chipset provide enough PCI bandwith for stable and complex use with pulsar? If so, which one? I´m collecting knowledge for planning my next computer which goes directly into my new studio in a few months.
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

I am just checking out the Elitegroup board with SIS chipset together with an Athlon XP 1700+ and 512 MB DDR Ram.
It is said that It SHOULD work better than any comparable board for Athlon CPUs.
I will report my experiences to this list at the end of this week.

Eurocide-HQ
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" Agent Smith

<a href="http://www.eurocide.com">www.eurocide.com</a>
at0m

Post by at0m »

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &forum=3&2

I quote:
"At 3650MHz we were able to run heavy benchmark programs such as SuperPi and Pifast successfully although the VCore was quite high (2,12V). It seems that Pentium 4 can handle it without any conflicts."
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Intel chipset for AMD? Never. :smile:

BTW - the site does clearly state "CPU vs. PCI" :smile: But now more than ever, with the better performing CPU power of Northwood P4s, the AMD platform isn't drawing as much attention as it once did. And with 1.4ghz P3's (!! 1400 P3 !? it won't die!) maybe coming shortly the P3 is still running like a timex :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-01-21 12:14 ]</font>
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Hello,
How many Timeworks reverbs can run on the 850, 845 and 761 chipset? From the yahoo forum I know that 10 ST can rum on the 761 chip. But how is that whith the P4 ?
Drum-Maker

Post by Drum-Maker »

I've a Asus A7V266-E Mainboard with an Thunderbird 1200 Mhz + Luna 2 and when IRQ are not shared and Luna 2 has it own IRQ, all is working perfectly, the best chipset right now, for Amd is KT266-A.

I had clicks and crackles but i solved my problem disabling the ACPI (see the FAQ from Pulsar/Luna), and i turned on standard configuration, and now is all OK ... I can use 8 compressor + 8 stereo channel ASIO and 2 masterverb without any clicks!!
The only problem just right now is that i've only a luna 2, but soon i want to buy a XTC!!

Regards ...

Drum Maker
dxl

Post by dxl »

u will regrate when u get XTC
it only work ok with Luna
and it will always say ur DSP reach limit when it's only at 60%
I'm still seeing new things in life.
<p><a href="http://mp3.com/dxl">www.mp3.com/dxl</a></p>