resetting asio driver without rebooting?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

claes

Post by claes »

I'm having a problem that every time logic crashes, it takes the asio-driver down with it. This means that i have to reboot to get it up again. :sad:

Is there a way to restart the pulsar asio-driver without restarting the whole computer? Closing pulsar and reopening it doesn't seem to help.

Ususally this wouldn't be that very much of a problem since logic is very stable, but I code my own vst-plugins and if you have a bug that crashes logic it's very painful to debug if you have to reboot each time.

I run windows 2000 sp2.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Yes, switch to slave in pulsar, then switch back to master again, this force reloading all dsp and reinitialise asio...
at0m

Post by at0m »

... this force reloading all dsp and reinitialise asio...
i think there's two parts on ASIO, let's name them a host and a guest. Host part can be rest, but the guest will be engaged by the sequencer.

If the sequencer crashes (closes without closing the guest) it will be unable to re-engage the guest- it's already been used by 'another program', ASIO.
You will need to reboot in that case to properly close down all ASIO 'guests links'.

If, in another case, the Pulsar is synced to a sampler and Pulsar looses sync, ASIO will give an error, but not crash (ie. 'ASIO driver not available'). You can leave the sequencer waiting on it's ASIO host. In the meantime, reset Pulsar's DSP (by switching master/slave or changing sample rate) and select ASIO again in the sequencer. Should work fine.

In the third case, Pulsar DSP crashed. If you're lucky, you can reset the dsp as described above. Re-engage sequencers' ASIO by selecting again. If that don't work, close all appz you can and reboot.

As a matter of fact, you'll learn by experience. It might work, it might not, all depending on OS (Pulsar & pc), drivers, pc setup,...

That's how I see it, might not be right. Anyone else wanna give it a try?

atomic.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
claes

Post by claes »

I think you're right atomic. Sadly, It's #1 of the three of your alternatives I'm having problems with.

So what I was looking for was a way to reset the driver without rebooting so it's no longer 'busy'. Just to clear things up.
at0m

Post by at0m »

[edit] great first post, DSY :smile: that really solves it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2003-01-29 16:54 ]</font>
dsy

Post by dsy »

Solution :
- close SFP
- start cubase or logic or another ASIO prog.
- you have error message, don't worry.
- close your prog
- restart SFP
et voila you can use ASIO driver :smile: