Reaper DAW

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Reaper DAW

Post by spacef »

Hi all,
I am switching to reaper because I find it much better than what I was using previously (Cubase, then Studio One).

It is really ugly but it sounds better (illusion ? levels are better, sound of the devices is the same, i do not have the issues I had with studio one (sequences recorded from scope synths sounded less good ijn studio one, stuff like that).

Also, all action shortcuts can be assigned to midi, which is really cool to control the transports when the main window is not in focus (ie, plugin or other windows are opened/focussed).

there are still a few things I have not tested or that are less intuitive than on other daws, but I think I will keep it.

I post this to see if others are also using it and what advices could be given to accelerate "onboarding" :-) I have not explored scripts, and just use a "Flogic" theme that is good for me.

Also, what is this 64 bit Reaper Asio driver ? it seems to work fine with Scope 32 FLT driver, but I guess it does not do 64 bit as scope is 32 ? or I am missing something ?

See you
Mehdi
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Bud Weiser

Re: Reaper DAW

Post by Bud Weiser »

spacef wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:49 am Hi all,
I am switching to reaper because I find it much better than what I was using previously (Cubase, then Studio One).

It is really ugly but it sounds better (illusion ? levels are better, sound of the devices is the same, i do not have the issues I had with studio one (sequences recorded from scope synths sounded less good ijn studio one, stuff like that).
Well DAW apps process zeros (0) and ones (1) and in theory don´t sound different.
I recognized different pan-law by default settings made the difference and possibly quality of summing algorithm itself too.
spacef wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:49 am Also, all action shortcuts can be assigned to midi, which is really cool to control the transports when the main window is not in focus (ie, plugin or other windows are opened/focussed).

there are still a few things I have not tested or that are less intuitive than on other daws, but I think I will keep it.
I´m not a Reaper power user up to now,- but it´s one of the most complete applications.
Coming from other DAW apps makes it somewhat difficult to use, just because it´s based on actions and there are a lot of right-clicks and so on.
MANY Protools users switched over to Reaper because of it´s audio features already and when Reaper-MIDI was still mediocre.
But since some time, MIDI got a lot of love.
Interaction of MIDI notation-, list- and piano roll editors is not perfect like in Logic unfortunately,- but it´s usable already.
I appreciate Reaper handles MIDI SysEx and I also doubt they will ditch VST2 (and program changes) like most others do w/ VST3.
And it runs on Linux !
When SCOPE ran on Linux,- Reaper and SCOPE were my prefered combo.
spacef wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:49 am I have not explored scripts, and just use a "Flogic" theme that is good for me.
I never went that deep too,- and my experience is,- using the default theme is the best idea (at least for me).
Updating themes is one more task I´d like to avoid.
IMO, the default theme leaves enough tweaking possibilities for the track control panel and mixer.
3rd party skins often don´t work w/ something you´ll find out too late,- some of the SWS extensions actions which don´t get updates too often p.ex..
spacef wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:49 am Also, what is this 64 bit Reaper Asio driver ? it seems to work fine with Scope 32 FLT driver, but I guess it does not do 64 bit as scope is 32 ? or I am missing something ?
You don´t need the Reaper "ReaRoute" ASIO driver at all,- I unticked it´s installation.
Reaper and SCOPE always worked fine using the SCOPE/XITE ASIO driver (SCOPE 5.1 and SCOPE 7).
That rules for my Win7 Pro x64 Pro DAW machine as well as SCOPe v7 32Bit on my Win7 Pro x86 HP server tower w/ SCOPE PCI hardware.

I myself, I got ASIO issues w/ Studio One Pro and Traktion Waveform 64Bit as well as some virtual instruments when not running in a host,- "standalone" instead,- the Arturia synths p.ex..

I don´t use Reaper ASIO ReRoute ´cause it adds latency to any other ASIO driver running on top,- SCOPE ASIO or RME (Raydat / Babyface)
For me, it´s the better idea running any SCOPE standalone und route audio via ADAT and MIDI bi-directional between SCOPE and a DAW machine running RME multiclient ASIO driver,- both synced via wordclock and MIDI.

:)

Bud
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Reaper is my preferred choice as a DAW.
Extensive and easy routing, light app, fast GUI.
With scope my Daw performance stays at 5% with an old i5 laptop until the end of the project.
Spend some time to customise key shortcuts.
Midi assignment is also nice as you said it works without the app to be in focus, like scope.
I am using this facility and scope with an arduino IR remote control for transport functions and ab comparison.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

When i tried Reaper many years ago it was not that intuitive to me and seemed like i needed extra steps to do the things i did in another DAW. But it was'nt just Reaper i have trouble learning new DAWs anyways. My mind does'nt like big changes.

Benchmarks in years past consistantly showed Reaper was the best DAW at harnessing Multi-Core CPU Power. Reaper showed in several benchmarks that out of all the big name DAWs it is the most CPU efficient DAW and best at Core-Scaling. Reaper will allow you to get more out of your computer cause it is well coded. It has very flexible routing and a reputation for rock solid stability (possibly cause of the lack of bloat).

The main Guru who code's Reaper certainly takes pride in his work and loves the DAW. I wish more DAW developers was like Reaper's developer.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:34 am ...i have trouble learning new DAWs anyways. My mind does'nt like big changes.
:D ... me too !!!
Sounddesigner wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:34 am ... Benchmarks ...Reaper will allow you to get more out of your computer cause it is well coded.
QFT !!!
Sounddesigner wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:34 am The main Guru who code's Reaper certainly takes pride in his work and loves the DAW. I wish more DAW developers was like Reaper's developer.
J.F.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Frankel

He´s a true EXPERT !
I´m always surprised how small the installer´s footprint is with that amount of functionality and features,- and how fast it installs,- also over a previous version.
And 60 bucks for a small biz licence and for 2 big version numbers is great policy too,- not to forget to mention there´s the evaluation licence w/o any restrictions in functionality/features.
The included VST and (GUI-less) JS plugins are way underrated.
These work well too !

The application is well done and they save a lot of cash,- so I´m willing to accept a learning curve.

:)

Bud
spacef

Post by spacef »

It is not intuitive and takes a bit of time to customize, because terminology is not the same/similar to other DAWs.

That's why I did not go for Reaper previously. I do it now more because of recent native plugins that work as they should in Reaper.

As I am customizing it, I find more and more reasons not to go back. But I agree it requires to sit and do it, and sometimes it is frustrating.

The secret to "not get lost in menus and right clicks" is to make your own toolbar with actions that you need. Some of them are "macros" (like, duplicate track without content" is necessarily a "macro").

Took me a lot of video watching, but there are many and the most important ones are referenced on Reaper's website.
I haven't read the manual yet...

Depending on your habits, you will have to find ways to make things so they allow to work faster. For example, my template begins with FX sends and busses, because it will allow to show them first in send menus. That's why they are not at the far right of the mixer like on cubase/studio one.

There are a couple of things that I miss from studio one, like sends in menus so you do not need to delete/add send destinations, a few things like that, but it is not enough to make me want to go back.

PS: about the fact that DAW all record the same, I would agree, but I am not sure they all play it the same. For example, some people mentionned that Reaper is one of the few DAWs that are perfect in phase reverse tests, like ProTool. I just notice that I feel happier and that levels are better than on studio one (ie, I do not have to change the levels of imported or recorded tracks, whereas I had to systematically remove 6dB on Studio One (sample import), or boost what was recorded from Scope. In reaper I do not need to do all that. may be it is just Studio One (i use v4, and even studio one makers said it was a bad DAW, lol).

The pic below is my default template and my custom toolbar. 6 FX channels, 16 busses, and xite destinations for sending/recording effects. I am in the process of assigning some toolbar buttons to an old midi controller.

The theme I am using highlights selected tracks in the mixer much better than the default theme. I think this one is "FLogic"'. May be one day i'll customize it with SpaceF/Scope buttons, lol :-)
Attachments
REAPER-SpaceF.jpg
REAPER-SpaceF.jpg (132.21 KiB) Viewed 152 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website