IRQ tweak

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bluzz

Post by bluzz »

Hi all !

I just found a trick related to IRQ settings. It's just about assigning a specific amount of RAM to a particular IRQ. It's originally supposed to improve network cards capacities from 0 to 10% according to the authors. It can maybe be usefull if applied to your Pulsar IRQ.

Here's the link to the tweak explanation :
http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_irq.shtml

I've tried it, but i'm new to Pulsar so i can't really measure the improvement. Maybe longtime users can tell ! (it did'nt cause any bug on my system anyway).

cheers
bluzz
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Wouldnt that just add another stage of latency? usually an IRQ request would happen in hardware, between the Pulsar and the CPU if there was another stage (especially involving windows) i would think it might slow things down..not that i know much about it though!
Micha

Post by Micha »

has to do with streaming. You add this entry to prevent a card to stop in the send/receive processing. Is good for audio as well as network. The smaller the amount of RAM, the more the system must swap memory and the more swapping is needed for your card. You prevent this by giving the card a buffer(=part of RAM). Then it has always memory to write/read. I think it makes sense to fix this size to the buffers you install for the sequencing and/or streaming software.
(I did 2 x law + cep) The more RAM you have the less important it is.
Happy pulsaring
Micha
ohmelas

Post by ohmelas »

HMMM,

I DIDN'T NOTICE ANY PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE. BUT THAT'S WHAT THEY SAID TO EXPECT....
Howard Salter Dot Com
Musician, Marine Corpsman, and Father
Milwaukee, WI USA