DirectX vs VST

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Many plugins are available as DX and VST. I don't know anything about the specs, which one is better or preferred to use (if I can choose)?
visilia

Post by visilia »

Hai Spoimala,

Let your host be the deciding factor. If you use a host that started as a VST host (like Steinberg products), use VST plugs if you can choose. On the other hand, if you use a host like Sonar or Samplitude, use DirectX.

IMHO, the differences between VST and DirectX interfaces are too small for the end user in order to generally prefer one above the other.

Cheers,
Vincent
at0m

Post by at0m »

It's been looong time since i've used a Dx plug, I didn't like them mainly becouse they could not be tweaked on the fly w/o crackling.
Has that changed?
garyb

Post by garyb »

not much.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Hey spoimala,
If you use Cubase, I would recommend you to VST PLug´s because you can automate them with the VSTMixer, knob movement recording etc.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Is vst automation possible with logic?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Yes, using most of them... But not all params are available to automate in all plugins... Depends on the plugin....
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Sooo, how do you do it? i mean what is the procedure to record a cutoff variation in reaktor for example?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Doesn't that depend on the host ? I don't do a lot of automation since I use almost 100% pure audio and tweak manually while recording, but I have experimented.

The best I found was Orion. While in record mode you simply move any of the knobs on the plugin and the movement is recorded. Move as many as you like. Eventually you plugin can be twitching like crazy. Trouble with Orion is that it's a bit buggy.

Fruity is a bit more obtuse but I believe the procedure will be improved in the imminent FL4 release.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Yes Spirit, it depends on the host. I use logic and before 5.0, you would simply record on A or B-playback and start vst knob movements. But starting with 5.0, i can't do that anymore. anybody?
garyb

Post by garyb »

logic's automation in 5.0 couldn't be easier.there is a flip on the audio mixer for automation,just set and push play,make the movements and viola.also hyper edit allows the movements to be drawn AND the arrange window's veiw option allows automation to be veiwed and edited.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

Cool, thx Gary, but i can't find that flip! you refer to the audio mixer, could you tell me which logic window you are refering to? i know this must be obvious but i lost an hour yesterday searching...
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

The little text where it is written READ, or OFF, or WRITE, or LATCH, or TOUCH on every channel...

Set it to touch, press play, move the knobs, it will be recorded as automation...
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, thx guys anyone care to describe all modes? :grin: