Network Card ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

q8composer

Post by q8composer »

Hey guys ..

Just a question in my mind .. do Network Cards between 2 PC’s slower performance ?
Or have any problems what so ever .. ?

I’m using 2 PC’s both :
( P4 1.7 – i850 Motherboard – 512 RDram – Logic Audio 4.81 – Creamware Scope )

Thanx ..
ALIEN Digital Recording Studio
www.alien-studio.com
Micha

Post by Micha »

With good drivers not. But they take their part of the PCI bandwidth. So be prepared to reduce from maybe 8 MasterVerbs to maybe 6. Especially while you transfer data from one machine to the other and/or back. But overall performance should not go down. In this case look for updated drivers.
Happy pulsaring
Micha
at0m

Post by at0m »

Yup, you shouldn't be concerned about bandwidth as long as you're not actually transferring data at 100mbps.
Also monitor your IRQ settings when you add a pci card. It should not share an irq w your host Creamware card. I have it sharing irq with a secondary card (my Pulsar1 listens to STDM, not pci).

Good luck :grin:
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

remember that a 100mbps network connection is 100 mega BITS per second so only approximately 10 mega BYTES of your pci bandwidth would be used (or 20 in full duplex while sending a file both ways at once). anyhow it is not that much.

If you use a network card with an onboard processor (like a 3com) it will use less cpu but i doubt that it makes much difference these days)
q8composer

Post by q8composer »

Thanx guys ..

i guess i wont be using the network card while in a recording session or while mixing .. its just hookd up to a back up pc for sharing .. so i guess im in the safe side except that i have to watch for the irq settings hmm ..

anyways thanx :grin:
www.alien-studio.com
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

I've got a P2P network working here perfectly.
Machine A is the Pulsar station and completely free of internet stuff, office, etc...
Machine B does the rest: internet, office, grafix, games.
When I find nice devices or drivers I download them with machine B and transfer the files to A. And the Pulsar station stays clean.
The other way round: creating MP3s on machine A and push it in the internet with machine B.

Don't want to miss a network again!

EC-HQ
q8composer

Post by q8composer »

hey Eurocide :

exactly my point .. thats what i planned to do .. a pc for the net and graphix and the other for the studio work ..

:grin:
www.alien-studio.com