Luna2 + Pulsar2 + A16 Ultra + Apogee Mini-Me, master/slave

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

thomashenrydavies

Luna2 + Pulsar2 + A16 Ultra + Apogee Mini-Me, master/slave

Post by thomashenrydavies »

I have a system containing a Luna2 and Pulsar2 connected via STDM, with and A16Ultra connected via ADAT, giving me 16+2+2 channels.
I've been offered an Apogee Mini-Me (2003), which is a Mic preamp and ADC with spdif out. I would like to use this with one of the SPDIF ins on the Scope cards to give me 2 extra input channels.

My understanding is that that Mini-Me always needs to be master. So, could I have this as the master, with my Scope cards slaved to it, and the A16 Ultra also then slaved via the ADAT?
Bud Weiser

Re: Luna2 + Pulsar2 + A16 Ultra + Apogee Mini-Me, master/slave

Post by Bud Weiser »

thomashenrydavies wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:47 am I have a system containing a Luna2 and Pulsar2 connected via STDM, with and A16Ultra connected via ADAT, giving me 16+2+2 channels.
I've been offered an Apogee Mini-Me (2003), which is a Mic preamp and ADC with spdif out. I would like to use this with one of the SPDIF ins on the Scope cards to give me 2 extra input channels.

My understanding is that that Mini-Me always needs to be master. So, could I have this as the master, with my Scope cards slaved to it, and the A16 Ultra also then slaved via the ADAT?
Mini-Me is "master" always.
In theory, it should work w/ the SCOPE sync source set to SPDIF (or AES,- when the Pulsar-2 is equipped w/ the pro plate/snake), the cards run as "slave" and the A16U as well while A16U syncs to ADAT (select on A16U).
For A16U, it should also work w/ Z-Link when you own the Luna-2 expansion card offering a 2nd Z-Link port (all 16 I/Os @96KHz).

Download Apogee Mini-Me ressources here https://knowledge.apogeedigital.com/min ... -downloads

Both, SFDIF and AES/EBU digital outs will transmit wordclock and the Apoggee´s internal clock might be a great choice when using the SCOPE PCI cards as slaves.

:)

Bud
thomashenrydavies

Cool! Was hoping that would be the case. Will hopefully try it out soon.
thomashenrydavies

I wonder, would it be possible to use one z-link (->Luna2) and one ADAT (->Pulsar2) connection on the A16U to use its 16 channels? This would then leave one ADAT connection on my Pulsar2 left, and another 8 channels available if I bought an UltraGain or something?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

thomashenrydavies wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:41 am I wonder, would it be possible to use one z-link (->Luna2) and one ADAT (->Pulsar2) connection on the A16U to use its 16 channels? This would then leave one ADAT connection on my Pulsar2 left, and another 8 channels available if I bought an UltraGain or something?
And then ? - A16U is synced to what ???
In a SCOPE configuration, you cannot slave-sync A16U "A" and "B" sections to different sources (Z-Link and ADAT) simultaneously,- at least not ´cause you have to pick a single source in the Scope settings,- ADAT or Z-Link (or SPDIF, AES/EBU or BNC wordclock).

Try to find Luna-2 ADAT (and Z-Link) extension: 1 ADAT I/O, 1 Z-Link connector.

I had the luck and got one NOS.

Bud
thomashenrydavies

I was hoping that the A16 could take sync down both Z-link and ADAT, as it's ultimately the same source!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

thomashenrydavies wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:36 am I was hoping that the A16 could take sync down both Z-link and ADAT, as it's ultimately the same source!
I didn´t say it´s impossible, instead just only cannot imagine.
No need to try up to now and sice using a BNC master clock device.
So, you´re the one,- and please post the result here.

Bud