Unusual behaviour.

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chilliman

Unusual behaviour.

Post by Chilliman »

This is recent, but recurring.
Usually when communicating with another pc via adat.
Hardware or software?
Maybe time to recap my boards?
Anyone recognise this message and can relate it to a known thing.
Attachments
20240304_142653.JPG
20240304_142653.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 878 times
valis

Re: Unusual behaviour.

Post by valis »

Yes, there’s a hardware issue of some kind developing. Solder, caps, and a few other components are typically a concern.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes.
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

valis wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:01 pm Yes, there’s a hardware issue of some kind developing. Solder, caps, and a few other components are typically a concern.
Such as?
valis

Post by valis »

The error only tells us that there's an attempt to communicate with that dsp and it failed. You have to test the board/components to find the flaw, or in most cases simply recap and check the additional (transistor I believe? or transformer) at the bottom of most of the cards to ensure it's still in good shape. I've done 4 cards so far, and only one continued to fail after repair indicating it was a deeper issue with one of the DSPs.

My personal opinion, is that even though our cards are manufactured to correct specifications for the tolerances these chips require, we've had them in service for many many years. The chips get HOT, which they are designed to do, but after a few decades the other components on the card begin to show wear and tear, and power cycling a system (warm/cool cycles) as well as the resulting voltage spikes that PSU's cause can eventually impact an aging PCB board and its components. Ie, solder can crack and break, chips do take a minor amount of damage under normal operation (gates operating actually triggers a change in the silicon to open/close the gate), and aging capacitors may fail to properly buffer voltage when they start failing, etc.

So I have always sought to have my cards well cooled. The original P4 era Xeon system I had was HOT HOT and all of those cards eventually failed. My newer system never breaks a sweat, and using thermal probes I can see the temperature (and airflow) around the cards themselves are much much better, which gives me hope that they will function for years to come. Given that my old cards were all ~20 years old and were in constant operation for their lifetime, I can hardly complain. I just care that the system continues to function.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

In some rare cases, the pci slot on the mainboard might be the cause.
I had a card with 14 DSP, which I recapped, changed the regulator and still got dsp errors. It was a failing pci slot, in which some other cards still worked. I wasn't able to evaluate, whether it was a power issue or some dma stuff.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

On the idea of chip cooling aiding longevity. Is there any reason not to add heatsinks to the dsp chips inside an Xite unit?
I believe this was discussed in a post some years ago but I cannot remember the outcome.
valis

Post by valis »

The DSP chips themselves are built to withstand the heat, they are used in cars and industrial applications.

PCI boards lasting 20 years is approaching limits with heat, same with mainboards and system components, which is why I tend to invest in workstations & server boards where appropriate.
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Thanks Valis, for those reasons I'll leave well alone
valis

Post by valis »

System cooling!
astroman

Post by astroman »

My Scope system (3x6DSP cards) is a small tower, positioned at the bottom of a rack, 1 side opened, facing upwards.
The rack unit above it is left empty, which provides enough air flow to get rid of the cards‘ heat.
(I occasionally check temperature by hand, nothing suspicious noticed)
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

I'll recap them.
Might not bother with the pulsar1.
I need to recap my mks70 and sh09, so might as well make a day of it.
Gives me an excuse to tinker with stuff. 🙂
The Dutch guy I got the scope pro off, he had it unused for nearly 10 years. So it's had an easy life. But electrolytic caps always go eventually.
Or drift out of spec so they are as good as toast anyway.
Even the so called expensive audiophile ones. I've got a 300B valve amp and pre that ate loads of black gate and audio note silver caps.

I hate surface mount stuff though. Extra faff.
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Hey chilliman,
I also have a sh09 to repair (output stage and recapping). Do you have any links to how this is done? I've searched the web and found a few videos but none really suitable. Any help greatly appreciated.
valis

Post by valis »

If you’re in the US, the repair technician linked in our forums can now do synths as well. Dynamixii
Chilliman

Post by Chilliman »

Rafe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:36 pm Hey chilliman,
I also have a sh09 to repair (output stage and recapping). Do you have any links to how this is done? I've searched the web and found a few videos but none really suitable. Any help greatly appreciated.
No. I'll just replace the capacitors. It's easy if you can do a bit of soldering. I've got experience from work, so it is normal to me.
You just need to match the capacitance value and match or exceed the voltage rating.
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Thanks, there's not much to it once opened up. Most are easy to get to and replace.
Cheers