So I just started Scope...

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: So I just started Scope...

Post by garyb »

most motherboards are fine.

no, there are no other drivers to install.

it is not a problem of using the XITE as a soundcard.

ASIO3all works through the Scope wave driver.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Eiffel65Fan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:38 am Thanks everybody for all the tips and advice, but for some very annoying reason, I still can’t get sound to come out properly.

...if I select ASIO4ALLv2 in the sequencer’s audio settings, the routing doesn’t get recognised by the sequencer.
Why do you use ASIO4ALL when you have SCOPE/XITE and SCOPE ASIO ?
It´s not necessary.

SCOPE ASIO2 modules work(ed) flawlessly for me and when using a DAW,- Win 7 Pro SP1, 32 and 64Bit and Win 10 Pro 64Bit.
I just only got some issues when using some standalone VSTis after these got updated by their manufacturers after Win7 wasn´t officially supported anymore ... p.ex. Arturia.
Some pops and clicks and graphic issues,- w/ just only a few of these plugins.
P.ex. Cherry Audio plugins work flawlessly standalone and w/ SCOPE ASIO,- most VSTis do.

The graphic issues might have been related to my usage of XITE-1, using PCIe x1 card in PCIe x4 slot being directly connected to processor AND using iGPU (no dedicated graphics card).
In my Z97 system, iGPU and SCOPE PCIe in PCIex4 slot share memory adress which might be the reason,- but as an advantage, I get an exclusive IRQ for SCOPE PCIe that way.

With this configuration, the only host introducing clicks/pops and graphic issues to when loading VST(i)s in a track,- was/is Studio One Pro v4.6.3. on my Win7 Pro SP1 (rackmount) DAW which isn´t updated to Win 10 ´til today.
It might be history when I update the machine to Win10 (Win11 not posibly by hardware restrictions) and when upgrading to Studio One Pro 6.

Latest version of Reaper and Reason 10 and 11 work flawlessly w/ SCOPE ASIO2.

So, SCOPE ASIO isn´t non-functional or a really bad driver !!!
Don´t forget it´s luckily still usable w/ Win XP, Win7 and Win 10 and we´ll see an optimized and by MS signed driver officially supporting Win 11 too while not losing Win7 and Win10 compatibility and supporting SCOPE PCI and XITE.
We might lose Win XP compatibility,- but I´m not sure.

And,- S|C is a small and very idealistic company w/ not enough manpower to create lots of tutorial vids and such,- so fugget it !

So, were you able to enter your BIOS and optimize the settings or not ?
S|C gave you installation instructions what to de-activate as also which Windows settings in regards of processor speed and energy savings like hibernation etc. have to be changed.
Scope PCI and XITE are not Windows soundcards and want the power of your machine for realtime audio/MIDI work.

As a PC user and for audio/MIDI work, you´ll HAVE to learn how to tweak your system yourself,- or pay an experienced DAW builder.
It´s not an Apple Mac where you plug in a USB and/or Thunderbolt cable connecting your audio interface and it works out of the box.

When your computer is well configurated, SCOPE works "out of the box" too once being installed correctly and launched.
Yes, there are some issues, but have in mind how many FX-, synth-, I/O-, tool- devices and modules come w/ stock SCOPE !
And don´t tell me your native VST plugins are all bug-free.

I´m pretty sure your issues are related to your ACER computer (only 1 PCIe slot !!!) and FL Studio 21.
I dunno how your BIOS looks like, but I own an Acer laptop which´s BIOS is so crippled there are not much settings possible at all.
I use it w/ Creamware NOAH EX,- and it was a lot of time investment and investigation to make it work.

Again ...
Install Windows, then configure your BIOS settings 1st,- download WinPrivacy and/or OO AShutUp10 and tweak Windows BEFORE installing SCOPE !
Once installed, double check if Scope ASIO and WAVE drivers appear in Windows audio settings as they should and check if SCOPE/XITE appears in Windows device manager as it should,- then try to use.
If there are performance issues, right-click Windows icon to the left of of the taskbar, go to "execute" and type MSinfo32.
Once done, go to "hardware ressources" > "conflicts/sharing" and have a look which devices share IRQ w/ Scope/XITE.
If there are USB controllers sharing, de-activate in BIOS and/or device manager in Windows.
Reboot and launch SCOPE.
When it doesn´t work at all, there´s still something wrong w/ your computer.

:)

Bud
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

I´m pretty sure your issues are related to your ACER computer (only 1 PCIe slot !!!) and FL Studio 21.
I dunno how your BIOS looks like, but I own an Acer laptop which´s BIOS is so crippled there are not much settings possible at all.
I misphrased that I had just one PCIe slot in my current machine. There was only one free PCIe x1 slot in which I inserted the Scope card, and above it was a PCIe x16 slot already taken by the graphics card.

In my BIOS screen (which I get into by pressing Delete), the top tabs are Main, Advanced, Power, Authentication, Security, Boot Options and Exit, and on the bottom it says version 2.21.1277.

In the Advanced tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:
Intel AES-NI (under CPU and Chipset Configuration)
Onboard SATA controller, Onboard Audio Controller, Onboard LAN controller, Onboard LAN Option ROM (under Integrated Prripherals) and I can set the Onboard SATA Mode to either Intel RST Premium or AHCI.
System Shutdown Temperature, CPU Shutdown Temperature, VRD Shutdown Temperature and Smart Fan (under PC Health Status)

In the Power tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:
Deep Power Off Mode, Power On by RTC Alarm, Power On by PCIe Devices, Power On by Onboard LAN, Wake Up by USB KB/Mouse, and options for Restore on AC Power Loss are On, Off and Last State.

In the Authentication tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:
Secure Boot, and I can also set Secure Boot Mode to Standard or Custom.

Finally, in the Security tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:
TPM Support, SHA-1 PCR Bank and SHA256 PCR Bank, and I can change TPM Operation to Clear or None.

I don’t really see any of the options from the setup manual in my BIOS, unless they have different names.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am
I misphrased that I had just one PCIe slot in my current machine. There was only one free PCIe x1 slot in which I inserted the Scope card, and above it was a PCIe x16 slot already taken by the graphics card.
Does that x16 graphics card share ressources w/ the free PCIe x1 slot ?
(re-read my post above,- it´s about the "execute MSinfo32" proceedure where you can see "conflicts" !)
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am In my BIOS screen (which I get into by pressing Delete), the top tabs are Main, Advanced, Power, Authentication, Security, Boot Options and Exit, and on the bottom it says version 2.21.1277.
O.k.,- at least, you now know how to enter the BIOS.
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am In the Advanced tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:

Intel AES-NI (under CPU and Chipset Configuration)

:-?
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am Onboard SATA controller, Onboard Audio Controller, Onboard LAN controller, Onboard LAN Option ROM (under Integrated Prripherals) and I can set the Onboard SATA Mode to either Intel RST Premium or AHCI.
All these don´t have to do w/ the energy saving states,- unfortunately.

The SATA Mode should be set to AHCI though.
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am System Shutdown Temperature, CPU Shutdown Temperature, VRD Shutdown Temperature and Smart Fan (under PC Health Status)
This is just only hardware temperature monitoring stuff.

But,- you DON´T WANT any system shutdown and/or CPU shutdown (throttling) during realtime audio work which means:
You´d need the option to disable related parameters.
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am In the Power tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:
Deep Power Off Mode,

I wonder what that is.
No explanation when you click on and the pulldown menue opens ?
What does your mainboard manual say according to this BIOS setting(s) ?
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am Power On by RTC Alarm, Power On by PCIe Devices, Power On by Onboard LAN, Wake Up by USB KB/Mouse,
Disable ´em all,- again: You don´t want the machine go "sleep",- so no wakeups necessary.
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am and options for Restore on AC Power Loss are On, Off and Last State.
I never wrapped my head about that,- and when I´m not sure w/ BIOS settings, Ileave ´em w/ "AUTO" (no enable or disable !)
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am In the Authentication tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:
Secure Boot, and I can also set Secure Boot Mode to Standard or Custom.
"Standard" .. for the time being.
It´s not related to performance once the machine and Windows is up.
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am Finally, in the Security tab, the settings I can disable or enable are:
TPM Support, SHA-1 PCR Bank and SHA256 PCR Bank, and I can change TPM Operation to Clear or None.
No idea,- it´s also not related to performance.
You need TPM enabled for Windows 11 WHEN there´s a TPM v2.0 chip on your mainboard.
AFAIK, If it isn´t, you cannot run Win 11,- but there might be exceptions like my Lenovo workstation laptops which are able and run Win 11 w/ TPM chip version 1.2
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 am I don’t really see any of the options from the setup manual in my BIOS, unless they have different names.
That´s crap.

Go into Windows (right click Windows icon/tab) and disable everything saving energy.
And disable Hyperthreading and Turbo Mode.
Because you don´t have that option via a single setting (enable/disable) in BIOS, the latter means, you have to set processor speed in Windows to "best performance" and go to the advanced/additional energy settings and create your custom "energy savings plan" that way it doesn´t save energy at all.
That should include everything, screen, drives, USB devices (right-click every in "device manager" and prohibit saving energy).

Finaly run Win10 Privacy,- allow a backup of the original settings via "system restore point" and disable everything what´s GREEN.
Don´t touch checkboxes of the yellow and red lines (unless you know what you do and how to get back if necessary) !
Read the lines befor you click !!!

The hardware:

Well,- before I buy a computer mainboard (I asemble my machines myself) or before I´d buy a stock computer, I´d download the manual and double check which options I have in BIOS.
I guessed your (ACER) BIOS might be crippled and it seems I was right (please correct me if I´m wrong).

When you´re unable to get the machine to run w/ SCOPE w/ all the advice you get here in the forum,- especially these from Gary and Valis,- who are real experts,- you might have bought the wrong machine for SCOPE/ XITE unfortunately.

Bud
fidox

Post by fidox »

I have never used laptop for making music, but what i've seen so far,
most of them have very limited options to change in BIOS.
For me, desktop PC, always.

Did you try to run Latencymon if there are "spikes" or ?
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

The SATA Mode should be set to AHCI though.
After I changed the setting to AHCI, when I rebooted, I got a BSOD, but when I changed back to Intel RST Premium, there were no problems.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fidox wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:51 am I have never used laptop for making music, but what i've seen so far,

I understood his computer is an ACER desktop PC already.

Laptop works, but for Windows we have to buy workstation laptops, which is the more expensive route.
For SCOPE, needing PCIexpresscard 34 slot, there aren´t many anyway, especially not current models and regardless of brand.
Lenovo W and P series work, are outdated,- but are still fine for SCOPE standalone.
I use 2.5 and 2.8GHz Intel i7 4th gen quadcore models, which also run every VSTi, standalone or in a host (Reaper) w/ low CPU consumption.
But I won´t record w/ ´em using their internal SSDs as also nut run large/ high track count native DAW projects w/ many plugins inserted.
That´s a task for Apple Macbooks using M1, M1x and M2 processors.

I use several desktops ands laptops.
When you want to be mobile and not only spend the time in your (home-) studio, you need mobile computers,- laptop and/or tablet.

Latencymon ...

It´s only useful when there are software (OS related and driver) problems.
The OP might have choosen a hardware lemon which might be set in stone.
You cannot make EVERY machine working for realtime audio processing.
I don´t understand why it must be explained on and on here in the forum,- running SCOPE is not the same like running any native DAW software using a by the OS controlled ASIO soundcard,- and AFAIK, there is no interest to make it work like that.
That´s also the reason why you cannot change ASIO sample buffer size on the fly.

P.ex. RME stuff runs (also) on USB ports and you can change settings on the fly,- SCOPE would never ever.

Bud
fidox

Post by fidox »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:22 pm
fidox wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:51 am I have never used laptop for making music, but what i've seen so far,

I understood his computer is an ACER desktop PC already.

Laptop works, but for Windows we have to buy workstation laptops, which is the more expensive route.
For SCOPE, needing PCIexpresscard 34 slot, there aren´t many anyway, especially not current models and regardless of brand.
Lenovo W and P series work, are outdated,- but are still fine for SCOPE standalone.
I use 2.5 and 2.8GHz Intel i7 4th gen quadcore models, which also run every VSTi, standalone or in a host (Reaper) w/ low CPU consumption.
But I won´t record w/ ´em using their internal SSDs as also nut run large/ high track count native DAW projects w/ many plugins inserted.
That´s a task for Apple Macbooks using M1, M1x and M2 processors.

I use several desktops ands laptops.
When you want to be mobile and not only spend the time in your (home-) studio, you need mobile computers,- laptop and/or tablet.

Latencymon ...

It´s only useful when there are software (OS related and driver) problems.
The OP might have choosen a hardware lemon which might be set in stone.
You cannot make EVERY machine working for realtime audio processing.
I don´t understand why it must be explained on and on here in the forum,- running SCOPE is not the same like running any native DAW software using a by the OS controlled ASIO soundcard,- and AFAIK, there is no interest to make it work like that.
That´s also the reason why you cannot change ASIO sample buffer size on the fly.

P.ex. RME stuff runs (also) on USB ports and you can change settings on the fly,- SCOPE would never ever.

Oh, yes, you are right, it's an desktop pc.

For Latencymon was just suggesting , that I would check really everything :)
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Okay, so I disabled all energy saving settings in Windows, and I downloaded Win10 privacy and disabled all relevant settings. After installing and turning on Scope again, the only new audio settings are two Scope Xites under Speakers, and two SPIFEs. The computer still lags in the sound settings menu when the hardware is turned on, and the computer still freezes when the Scope ASIO driver is selected in the DAW after doing the routing. The problem still happened when downloaded the trial version of Reaper, so Bud was right the first time that my current desktop was not designed to be used with the Xite. Bum.

The Scope card did not share any resources with the graphics card in the Device Manager and MsConfig32.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Eiffel65Fan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:29 pm Okay, so I disabled all energy saving settings in Windows, and I downloaded Win10 privacy and disabled all relevant settings. After installing and turning on Scope again, the only new audio settings are two Scope Xites under Speakers, and two SPIFEs.
should be o.k.
Can you make screenshots of all these w/ properties open and going thru the tabs ?
What´s up w/ Windows Audio service?
It should run even w/ Windows Audio (Realtek ?) hardware deactivated.
At least, you won´t get MIDI to run if it doesn´t.
But you can leave Windows Audio hardware activated still and use for system sounds, WHEN it doesn´t share IRQ w/ SCOPE/XITE.
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:29 pm The computer still lags in the sound settings menu when the hardware is turned on, and the computer still freezes when the Scope ASIO driver is selected in the DAW after doing the routing.
You power up XITE-1 BEFORE powering up the computer ?
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:29 pm The problem still happened when downloaded the trial version of Reaper, so Bud was right the first time that my current desktop was not designed to be used with the Xite. Bum.
No stock computer is DESIGNED for work w/ XITE-1 or any other pro audio interface system.
So, it´s not the end for the time being, especially since you got SCOPE/XITE appearing in Windows audio settings as described above and managed disabling everything necessary w/ Win10Privacy.
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:29 pm The Scope card did not share any resources with the graphics card in the Device Manager and MsConfig32.
Also good news.

At least, it should be possible to get the audio/MIDI work at all, even it might not introduce ideal performance a.t.m..

Now, when XITE shows up in audio settings, it´s all not OS related anymore.
It doesn´t matter if it´s Win 7, 10 or 11,- it´s all about the assignment of SCOPE ASIO and WAVE.
Once you hear something,- audio w/ pop, clicks, crackles or not,- optimizations should or might be possible later.

Reaper works w/ SCOPE ASIO like a charme,- Win XP Pro 32Bit, Win7 Pro SP1 32 and 64 Bit and Win 10 Pro 64Bit here.
Didn´t try w/ Win 11 up to now,- waiting for SCOPE 8 beta ASIO driver.

Would be nice when someone using SCOPE/XITE w/ Win10 on a desktop machine can post screenshots of his audio settings in Windows and you try to replicate.

Because my desktop machines (XP Pro 32Bit and Win 7 Pro SP 64Bit) are in the works, I did a backup of my SCOPE/XITE folder, uninstalled SCOPE and will remove the PCIe card.
So, I cannot make these screenshots for you a.t.m..

I prepare Win 11Pro 64Bit laptop for XITE usage w/ PCIexpresscard34 ´cause I want it mobile and standalone,- together w/ S|C "blackface" A16U, 8x8 MIDI interface/processor and CW NoahEX,- all in a single rack.

I might have another Win10 desktop for SCOPE/XITE and PCIe card later.
Cannot upgrade my office machine to Win 11,- so it will be the one.

Bud
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Here are some screenshots of my system to give everyone a better understanding of my problems.

Windows Audio:
Sound Settings.png
Sound Settings.png (54.96 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
with the Realtek Speakers disabled, and no SCOPE ASIO or Wave Drivers in sight.

My sound driver options in FL Studio 21:
DAW Settings 2.png
DAW Settings 2.png (108.97 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
and another screenshot:
DAW Settings 1.png
DAW Settings 1.png (136.78 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
My Scope routing test, in that instance I just want to test the audio in Scope without any DAW and go through the Prisma presets; this screen shot shows that a MIDI audio signal is coming out of the mixer when I click the keys, but no actual sound comes out. I have also tried it with the both ASIO 1 & 2 source/destinations, and the hardware source/destination, but still no sound comes out:
Scope Settings.png
Scope Settings.png (754.2 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
I always remember to turn the Xite on before turning the computer on.
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Here are my settings in System Information:
System Information Settings 1.png
System Information Settings 1.png (56.54 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
System Information Settings 2.png
System Information Settings 2.png (84.94 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
System Information Settings 3.png
System Information Settings 3.png (91.93 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
System Information Settings 4.png
System Information Settings 4.png (53.61 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

And in the Device Manager:
Device Manager Settings 1.png
Device Manager Settings 1.png (61.67 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Device Manager Settings 2.png
Device Manager Settings 2.png (52.41 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Device Manager Settings 3.png
Device Manager Settings 3.png (140.88 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Device Manager Settings 4.png
Device Manager Settings 4.png (89.98 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Device Manager Settings 5.png
Device Manager Settings 5.png (60.08 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

O.k.,- your settings look good,- almost ...

Audio Playback on my system looks like:

XITE-1

Speakers (set up as "standard audio device") = SCOPE XITE-1 w/ a marker to the right
Speakers (set up as "ready") = SCOPE XITE-1 w/ a marker to the right
SPDIF (set up as "ready") = SCOPE XITE-1
SFDIF (set up as "ready") = SCOPE XITE-1

Onboard Audio

Speakers: High Definition Audio Device - (set up as "not connected")
Headphones: HD Audio Device - (set up as "ready" w/ a marker to the right)
Digital Audio (S/PDIF) HD Audio Device - (set up as "ready" w/ a marker to the right)

Windows Sounds = "no sounds" and "Windows start sound" = unchecked

Device manager > audio, video and game controllers > Scope XITE-1

In your DAW apps (and all virtual instrument standalone devices),- the selected ASIO driver should be SCOPE XITE-1 !!!

Your XITE has it´s own IRQ and I don´t see any other conflicts,- so it´s installed correctly and should work.

It must work when you don´t have done something insanely wrong!
I see FL Studio ASIO and ASIO4ALL in your ASIO driver selection window.
When you use XITE-1 as your one-and-only audio interface, delete at least ASIO4All.

I have no other idea why it´s not working for you.

There must be an audible signal,- and when performace issues come up, it´s all about fine tuning only.

OT.:
For me, it works w/ 2 (two) audio interfaces connected a.t.m.,- XITE-1 and RME Babyface.
I just only have to switch ASIO driver in a given application on demand.

good luck

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

the Windows settings don't matter except to browsers and other Windows devices.

what is the analog output on the XITE connected to? a mixer? powered speakers? an amp?

if you have sound in the mixer(proven by the meter) and the analog destination connected to the output of the mixer, sound MUST come out of the analog outs of the XITE. Windows is not involved in any way.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:22 am
if you have sound in the mixer(proven by the meter) and the analog destination connected to the output of the mixer, sound MUST come out of the analog outs of the XITE. Windows is not involved in any way.
^^^^^
THIS !

Bud
fidox

Post by fidox »

Eiffel65Fan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:17 pm Here are some screenshots of my system to give everyone a better understanding of my problems.
I don't own XITE-1, so just guessing.
Did you try to change to other "Speakers Scope-XITE-1" ?
Can you see on which device is playing sound ?
Control Panel - Sound.

also ...
Is there a sound on XITE-1 thru headphones ?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 6326 times
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

garyb wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:22 am the Windows settings don't matter except to browsers and other Windows devices.

what is the analog output on the XITE connected to? a mixer? powered speakers? an amp?

The only connections I have on my Xite are the Power Cable and the HDMI cable to the soundcard. Nothing else.
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

Unfortunately, even with all the Windows sound and (very limited) BIOS settings correctly configured, the privacy settings enabled, AND the energy saving settings at MAXIMUM, in ANY DAW that I attempt to open with the ASIO Scope Xite driver selected in the DAW’s audio settings (not the Speakers Scope Xite under DirectSound) with the ASIO2 Source and Dest modules in the Scope routing window, my computer STILL gets completely frozen and my cursor gets stuck (pressing Crtl Alt Delete and Crtl Shift ESC does NOTHING), so then I have to force restart the system by holding down the power button, ARGH! I even disabled my antivirus software and that still didn’t fix the problem!

The only thing I can think of that I’m doing wrong now is not doing the routing in the window correctly. For my next computer I will DEFINITELY be getting a custom built one with the recommended configuration settings (ASUS motherboard with Intel Core i7, 16 GB Kingston RAM, etc).
Eiffel65Fan

Post by Eiffel65Fan »

fidox wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:42 am
Eiffel65Fan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:17 pm Here are some screenshots of my system to give everyone a better understanding of my problems.
I don't own XITE-1, so just guessing.
Did you try to change to other "Speakers Scope-XITE-1" ?
Can you see on which device is playing sound ?
Control Panel - Sound.

also ...
Is there a sound on XITE-1 thru headphones ?
I do have headphones, but the plug is too small to fit in the Xite’s headphone Jack.