Mixbus 32C

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: Mixbus 32C

Post by dante »

Yeah, when tracking in Reason I often succumb to the temptation to stem out to MB before its fully finished in Reason :) Glad you've discovered it. Also, it will improve with experience (get into the busses with the Drive and spend a bit of time gain staging etc). I've done over 300 mixes in it and never disappoints.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

dante wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:31 pm Yeah, when tracking in Reason I often succumb to the temptation to stem out to MB before its fully finished in Reason :) Glad you've discovered it. Also, it will improve with experience (get into the busses with the Drive and spend a bit of time gain staging etc). I've done over 300 mixes in it and never disappoints.
wow, more than 300 mixes on it? That's a lot! It means a lot to us, because this is "experience" and nothing compares to experience.

Yes, I should get dipper into it. Right now it seems a little bit alien to me, I know it is simple, but I have never had a real console like this, so it is different and I have to understand in which way to work, but yes, it sounds incredibly beautiful, a have succumbed in front of it, totally seduced :D just like you.

Well, I have not even tried using the busses, I have just loaded 18 stems from a full song, and am playing a little bit with EQs, (a fantastic and very different sounding EQ), gates and compressors, that's about it for now.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

:) Hey Dante, big news , Solid State Logic SSL, has jut bought Harrison, read on:

https://harrisonconsoles.com/
dante

Post by dante »

Cool - Ill have to get on the forum to check out the aquisition situation - plus what's new in Version 9 now ! Heres a screenshot of my bus setup just to get you started. Busses 1 - 8 for submixing and 9-12 for FX. The 'Drive' knobs just below the VU on the busses is part of the magic.

Dantes Harrision Bus Setup
Dantes Harrision Bus Setup
harrison bussing.jpg (594.04 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I wonder what you´re doin´ w/ SCOPE when using RSN and Harrison (now SSL) MB32C intensively.
Are you still using XITE-1D as your audio/MIDI interface and add FX and SCOPE synths ?

:)

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cool - Ill have to get on the forum to check out the aquisition situation - plus what's new in Version 9 now ! Heres a screenshot of my bus setup just to get you started. Busses 1 - 8 for submixing and 9-12 for FX. The 'Drive' knobs just below the VU on the busses is part of the magic.
How gentle Dante, thank you! :) To be totally honest, I need to read the manual and then follow your advice because I don't fully understand yet what I have to do, but I'm on board already I can tell you, this fixes things that otherwise, I cannot fix by myself, you know, "the glue" thing.

The trial I've downloaded IT IS, in fact, V9, not 7. You are probably still in V7. I have never had V7, but I have read a lot and users say the difference is a quantum leap between 7 and 9 in sound quality, it is an upgrade after 7 years, so it is important. V9 is much perfect sound-wise now, compared with V7. Users say better everything, that is why I am crazy about it, because it sounds amazing, particularly the EQs, and this is what many are saying, that the EQSs from 7 to 9, have been perfected to such an extent that even mixing engeneers cannot easily distinguish 32C hardware and MB V9, that's cool.

SSL and Harrison will merge in both realms, hardware and software, they will keep going with virtual plugins, they say, joining their knowledge about them together.

It is curious because I had just told you in a recent post that, with the exception of SSL plugins, (which are in a mayor league I said), iZotope as well, there is little in the market compared to Mixbus, and now they join. What are they going to do, a space ship or something? :o wow!

dante

Post by dante »

@Bud, I don't use Scope directly in Mixbus at all. I use it for classic synths in Reason which get bounced out to MB. The XITE-1D I treat basically as a synth expander for some years now. To be improved I hope by the return of VST mode.

@Nestor, I think SSL and Harrison should stick to their own product lines - maybe just pool dev resources. No need for a big Frankenstein spaceship mixer :lol:. I'm running V8 of MB so will upgrade to V9 of course. When I started on MB in 2019 it was V5, with yearly new versions since then.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Harrison themselves say they have not upgraded the program in depth for 7 years, so I think this is a mayor update, the V9 I mean.
dante

Post by dante »

What I'm reading is its the first major upgrade to the *mixer* in 7 years. But they've certainly been updating the program itself (almost annually). For mine the best most major mixer update was V6 when they reworked busses 9 - 12 which was my suggestion. "Dedicated FX buses: Mixbuses 1-8 can now assign to mixbuses 9-12, permitting their use as dedicated FX buses or matrix outputs."

That's why in my pic above you can see the busses 1-8 sending to effects at busses 9-12 for chorus, tape delay, time cube, reverb etc. As well of course the mix tracks themselves being able to send likewise to 9-12
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

How cool when developers "listen" to their costumers like that, I understand you cannot complain there, great, isn't it? An app, the way you want it? Amazing! Well, after more than 300 mixes, you deserve it by far! :)
dante

Post by dante »

Here 's V9 - clicking the various sections in and out. It certainly is a surprisingly good functional update. Jury is out on the sound until I've spent time gain staging the new environment, I think by default it screwed with my channel compressor gain from a previous project. No biggie just something to look out for when I load v8 projects. But it does sound promising.
MB32C-v9
MB32C-v9
mb32c-v9.gif (11.1 MiB) Viewed 2125 times
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm surprised at how low you have your master gain, almost -8

try the new EQs, they sound amazing, they are about the best feature of the app
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah that's headroom for mastering plugs and post master comp gain. I use the output VU for setting final output.

To properly test this new mixer I need to strip out the VST plugs. Plan is to do a cover version of the AU Vision Console soundtrack - https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/luna ... undle.html . For that I'll use MB purely native (no DSP plugs) to give all the inbuilt stuff a proper workout & see how close I can get.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I do the same, but at -6.

Great, waiting for your experience, If you don't mind to share it with us in here :)
dante

Post by dante »

Had a crack at it -: My first MB V9 mix from scratch.

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Very cool Dante! Thank you! :D

The special "glue" we have been talking about is there.

The general low end reminds me of those old school great records too, so warm.

Thank you for helping me discover this very interesting platform, I was unaware of its powers and possibilities till now. I'm in. I did not believed in it, now I do based on my short experience.

Nevertheless, I realize (as I have already said before), I found "my coup of tea in sound characteristics" with Mixbus, but perhaps... it is not for everybody in the world, I don't know, but it is definitely close to my dearest likes for me now. Everything I could eventually compose in Jazz, Rock, Electronica, Blues, Heavy, etc., I know it will sound better after going through Mixbus, this is a fact.

I have been trying several other demos out there of new plugins that promise reaching heaven. I first do an image of my C drive, then I go crazy trying out anything I want to try, then I go back so there is not even a trace left of these trials.

My conclusions? Well, again..., many of them are extremely sophisticated, complex, deep, that include AI and all, but they lack in the most important area: SOUND QUALITY. It is not the case with Mixbus: it is simple, straightforward, with a fantastic sound! Again, I'm in! :) Cheers!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I will try something in Mixbus too, and will post it here for you.
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks for the cudos Nestor ! I prefer the original Vision Console theme to my own, but that may have more to do with having actual musicians than the desk :)

BTW - if its glue you are after - I really like the Fairchild 660/670 on the Master bus. There is a DAS 660 for Scope from DAS which is part of the Dynamics bundle in the SC shop. https://sonic-core.de/product/das-dynamic-bundle/ There's also various native versions, some of dubious quality.

Looking fwds to hearing your first MB creations !
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

My first mix in Mixbus, don't expect much ok? I'm starting with it, I'm a bit lost on it.

Nevertheless, I like the final character of the sound, perhaps, not that much the mix.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... VJm5RL28Fy
dante

Post by dante »

It a good laidback chill track with a good mix - well done. Maybe next try a track with some live content - acoustic / vocal / rock /orchestral etc - to really push MB capabilities.