Windozer 11

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Windozer 11

Post by yayajohn »

So I have been using windows 11 for over a year now and while I really don't have any specific complaint about it, with reference to the previous versions, there are things going on that leave me scratching my head. Things/anomalies/minor problems/glitches that just show up and then mysteriously dissappear.
I'm beginning to think it has a mind of it's own so my question to the group is:
Do you think there is a certain amount of AI built into the system or is controlling the systems through the internet?
Or do you think that there are real-time adjustments being made to our systems by real MS people without the use of the update?
(I do realize this might be a little far fetched but I really need to pass the time while I wait for Scope 8 to be released :D)
nebelfuerst

Re: Windozer 11

Post by nebelfuerst »

There's not much magic or AI behind. If you're using the home/prof version of 10/11, you're some kind of alpha tester. For this reason, the cheap versions cannot disable updates. There is even a switch for "allowing experiments" on these pcs.
This way, some 1000 home users should detect bugs in advance, so an enterprise user has a chance not to see this bug.

All this is done without human interaction. I only know about human interaction on voice recognition or camera classification software.
Most people have no idea, how widespread their pc interactions already are.
Only a few people know how to block these functions.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

There's a difference between exposure surface and standard practices. Ie, just because the predictive features for optimizing software load times and user telemetry isn't typically reviewed by a human, does not mean it's not able to be exposed to someone for reasons legal, nefarious or etc.

The AI stuff isn't coming until the next versions of windows, which I presume means they'll craft some windows API's that can be used for building software, and use that to make one or two included apps. This seems typical, and for machines where it's useless one would presume we'll be able to configure necessary things to our preference.

For most of the Home/Pro Win10/11 stuff, you can set policies, registry keys and--in the case of professional with full workgrouping or domain control--pretty much control everything just like enterprise. Most of our tools for disabling telemetry etc simply rolled up all of the documented tasks into a single user interface (and similar apps always exist on Mac as well).

As for the OP's question, in addition to 'experiments' we also get user experience updates more frequently. It not only versus some of the above items discussed, but also introduces other changes. Tabbed explorer windows are the cosmetic things we see, but there's more under the hood. For instance after a recent one, on one of my machines all explorer views kept reverting back to the grouping style, which I loathe (group by date was active in every new window, no matter how many times I tried to set the 'use current view for folders of this type' or w/e that's called).

In any case, I find Win11 is actually improved over Win10 in some ways, small bugs like that aside. And most of the things I liked in 10 are still present. Win10 runs suprisingly well on very modest hardware, and Win11's install size seems to be able to be trimmed even more.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

valis wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:34 am explorer views kept reverting back to the grouping style, which I loathe (group by date was active in every new window, no matter how many times I tried to set the 'use current view for folders of this type' or w/e that's called).
Ok thanks Valis! That is one of the things I've seen among others. Hope they get that sorted quickly cause it's very frustrating.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I don't mind to be used as an experiment as long as it is for something genuinely positive, which I doubt very seriously this is the case!

I DO FEAR these people at Microsoft, I don't trust their intentions at all. I am fully convinced they are part of the NWO and they serve the world control plans they are after since many years, plans that, BTW, are now really advanced in every possible level and way.

In my case, WebView2 keeps installing itself over and over and over again..., even if I'm in win 10. I don't need it, uninstall it, but you don't have the choice. Edge, in the other hand, keeps asking forever to be the main browser, I finally uninstalled it after saying "no", many, many times.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I now have my 2nd laptop (Lenovo W541, Intel i7 2.8GHz quad and 16GB RAM) ready w/ Win11 Pro.
It seems to be very stable and I was able using "Win10Privacy" (yes, it works although it´s called "Win10" !) to tweak Windows pretty much the same way I did w/ Win10 Pro on the other Lenovo W540 laptop which I already use for Audio/MIDI.

I´ll try Win11 1st w/ RME Babyface, last but not least because I bought a dedicated USB3 Expresscard for the expresscard34 slot which seems to be the solution not sharing IRQ w/ the other USB stuff.
But like it is in my rackmount Z97 DAW, the expresscard34 slot will share memory adress(es) w/ the graphics (iGPU and Nvidia card).
This is also the same w/ the Lenovo W540.

When this is working good,- I´m ready testing XITE-1 and SCOPE v8 beta w/ this machine ´cause I want SCOPE/XITE portable and mainly standalone,- possibly running a very few assorted VSTis in addition which will use ASIO then.

I didn´t uninstall Windows apps from Win11 Pro, just deactivated and stopped almost all of the telemetry stuff, leaving only what´s needed for Windows updates.
The only app I uninstalled is "OnDrive".

B.t.w., I still find Win10Privacy safer and easier to use than Win10/11 Debloater for Windows 10 and 11 tweaks.
I now used it for 3 machines and it worked all pretty well.

:)

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Hey Bud let us know how that Win10Privacy app works on Win11 when you try it out. I'm very hesitant to use anything like that for fear it will screw up an update. I already had system related issues with Native Access and ended up having to do a System Restore in order to fix it.
NI support was no help what-so-ever with that.
Besides that I'm really suspicious of these software developers with their updates. On my previous LG Android phone I kept getting lots of updates on tons of apps I had installed. None of the updates made the apps work any better and I started thinking that the primary purpose of the update was just to reset the app to it's default setting -which meant everything was turned on!!!!!
So I'd have to go to each app and turn off all of the nonsense that was bogging the phone down.......uuuggh.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 pm Hey Bud let us know how that Win10Privacy app works on Win11 when you try it out. I'm very hesitant to use anything like that for fear it will screw up an update.
As I said above,- I used it already on 3 machines,- 1 Win10 Pro x64 desktop (office), 2 laptops,- Win10 Pro x64 and Win11 Pro x64.
No problems and I get all the updates !
yayajohn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 pm I already had system related issues with Native Access and ended up having to do a System Restore in order to fix it.
NI support was no help what-so-ever with that.
I had an issue w/ NI Access 2 on my Win10 laptop too,- but it was a NI issue.
I uninstalled NI Access 2 and installed old NI Access 1 again,- problem solved.
NI Access 2 is buggy as is Kontakt 7.
yayajohn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 pm Besides that I'm really suspicious of these software developers with their updates. On my previous LG Android phone I kept getting lots of updates on tons of apps I had installed. None of the updates made the apps work any better and I started thinking that the primary purpose of the update was just to reset the app to it's default setting -which meant everything was turned on!!!!!
So I'd have to go to each app and turn off all of the nonsense that was bogging the phone down.......uuuggh.
As far as I recognized, Windows updates don´t re-activate apps being de-activated by Win10Privacy.
MS Edge updates bring back autostart entries for "helpers" and update service, but I recognize using CCleaner and de-activate again.
You don´t have to learn much for Win10Privacy.
Just only tick all the boxes for everything marked green and/or decide which features you like to keep.
Skype might be something for someone.
I don´t use/need,- so I ticked that box too and deactivated.
This is what eliminates all the unimportnant stuff and doesn´t have negative impact on the system.
Then, there are the yellow and red marked lines explaining what happens when you decide to tick boxes also there.
I avoided yellow and red for the time being and have the impression these are for the hardliners.
Uninstalling apps falls under yellow p.ex.,- I didn´t except OnDrive.

Before you start Win10Privacy for the 1st time,- it asks if you want to create a restore point, so say YES.
The app is several pages/tabs,- all very good explained.
Read every line behind tick-boxes and verify if you want that.
Once a page/tab was finished, I always saved and when I sstarted the app again,- next restore point,- and so on.
When you have done all the settings you wanted in every tab,- you can save a profile.
So, when you got something back by whatever MS trick, you launch Win10Privacy, load the/your profile and the app does the rest.
I guess, like in Win10Debloater, it´s all running scripts in background.

Hey, you can make a backup of your current system or make an image of your system drive before running Win10Privacy.
So, when you destroy your system, format drive and play back the image.
But, you know, I was a newbie, used the program for the 1st time and it worked flawlessly w/o creating any probs.
The Win11 laptop tweaks I did w/ the experience I already had from Win10 tweaks using Win10Privacy.
And I double checked on their website if the program REALLY works for Win11 too,- and it does.

But you get problems w/ your antivirus when downloading the program.
Win Defender and all my antivirus programs wanted to make me believe it´s a virus,- but it isn´t.
You can read on Win10Privacy website.
So,- for the download, deactivate your antivirus.
And I did all the tweaks while the machine was offline and antivirus deactivated.
It makes sense replacing Windows Defender w/ AVAST before you use Win10Privacy.
Win Defender will wipe the application when detecting the installer on the machine.
AVAST deactivates Win Defender when installed, and deactivation/activation of AVAST protection works via systray (rightclick icon).

O.k.,- I hope that helps ...

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

yayajohn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 pm Hey Bud let us know how that Win10Privacy app works on Win11 when you try it out.
W10Privacy works fine on Win11, most of the settings are the same and it even exposes a few I don't see on my Win10 machines (I have both). I use O&O ShutUp10 as well on all Win10 & 11 machines. There's a lot of overlap, but in some cases one offers a tweak that either makes more sense or shuts something off 'higher up' in the code tree than the other.

Also for O&O ShutUp10, check the Local Machine section and disable the telemetry and clipboard (cloud) sharing there as well.
Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:44 pm As far as I recognized, Windows updates don´t re-activate apps being de-activated by Win10Privacy.
It can roll back settings, not apps. This would generally occur when there's something related to that update, and MS does not expect things to be disabled in the manner that the app does it. Enterprise users (and workstation users) can set domain policies that will ALWAYS override other things, but these tools don't necessarily do that.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks guys! I will try it and see how it works out.
fidox

Post by fidox »

yayajohn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:33 am Things/anomalies/minor problems/glitches that just show up and then mysteriously dissappear.
I have installed Windows 11 couple of days ago.
Scope 7 installation went well, so far looks good.
But, just what you said,
sometimes if i change some settings, for example, i wanted to disable login screen with password,
i have enable this option in 4 different areas, windows settings, registry, group policy or winaero tweak.
None of them worked, i must still login everytime i power on comp.
I saw just once, that, there was no login window, once, lol, otherwise, despite i selected this option ,
doesn't want to work.
And i noticed also few other things, which i selected and then was reverted back without my knowledge.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fidox wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:10 pm
yayajohn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:33 am Things/anomalies/minor problems/glitches that just show up and then mysteriously dissappear.
I have installed Windows 11 couple of days ago.
Scope 7 installation went well, so far looks good.
But, just what you said,
sometimes if i change some settings, for example, i wanted to disable login screen with password,
i have enable this option in 4 different areas, windows settings, registry, group policy or winaero tweak.
None of them worked, i must still login everytime i power on comp.
I saw just once, that, there was no login window, once, lol, otherwise, despite i selected this option ,
doesn't want to work.
And i noticed also few other things, which i selected and then was reverted back without my knowledge.

This is all gone w( he Win10Privacy tweaks here,- on 3 machines ... Win10 Pro x64 and Win11 Pro !

Bud
fidox

Post by fidox »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:32 am

This is all gone w( he Win10Privacy tweaks here,- on 3 machines ... Win10 Pro x64 and Win11 Pro !

Bud

I was enabling just green ones now, overall win 11 works fine.
Latencymon shows stable audio system.
fidox

Post by fidox »

yayajohn wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:33 am So I have been using windows 11 for over a year.
do you have maybe scope at startup program when windows starts ?
it was working for me at win10, but can't figure out now at win11, i
mean i know where to put shortcut or check in registry, but scope doesn't want to start with
startup then.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

No I start Scope manually. On one of my computers I have Scope 7 PCI and Win 7 64bit installed and was using Gig Performer nicely.
Just upgraded the motherboard and OS to Win10 64 and now Scope ASIO on Gig Performer crashes my computer.
Gig Performer also crashed with Scope ASIO on my Xite-1 computer Win11 64.
So........something changed between Win7 64 to Win10/11 64 that affects the Scope ASIO.
I"m really hoping Scope 8 will fix this.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:35 am ...something changed between Win7 64 to Win10/11 64 that affects the Scope ASIO.
Or it´s a SCOPE ASIO issue. :-?

The RME ASIO drivers work flawlessly,- Win7 up to Win11.
AFAIK, the SCOPE ASIO is still 32Bit code and that will change w/ SCOPE beta 8.
I dunno what´s crashing your machine, but it might have to do w/ memory adresses or such.

Bud
fidox

Post by fidox »

yayajohn wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:35 am No I start Scope manually. On one of my computers I have Scope 7 PCI and Win 7 64bit installed and was using Gig Performer nicely.
Just upgraded the motherboard and OS to Win10 64 and now Scope ASIO on Gig Performer crashes my computer.
Gig Performer also crashed with Scope ASIO on my Xite-1 computer Win11 64.
So........something changed between Win7 64 to Win10/11 64 that affects the Scope ASIO.
So far, i didn't have problems with win10 64bit + Scope 7 or now upgraded to win11 with Scope 7.
Ofcourse I don't have Gig Performer.

On my second machine I have now Win11 with Scope 5.1, but since that computer isn't my main
music production machine is more like for Multimedia in general, youtube, music listening and so on...
Sometimes I use it in sync over LunaII adat cards with my main audio machine, running 2x seq.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fidox wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:03 pm
So far, i didn't have problems with win10 64bit + Scope 7 or now upgraded to win11 with Scope 7.
Ofcourse I don't have Gig Performer.
I already got some issues w/ SCOPE ASIO when using Win7 Pro x64, Presonus Studio One Pro v4.x or Tracktion Waveform free (version 7 up to 11).
And when there came some Arturia updates, the standalone versions of their "collections" introduced problems too.

In fact, I wasn´t aware it was SCOPE ASIO related until I bought a mint RME Babyface USB device for relatively cheap and used it w/ latest drivers alternately.
From that moment, I knew SCOPE ASIO caused the issues.

But,- using Reaper changed that.
Reaper worked flawelessly w/ SCOPE ASIO on the same machine.
So, there´s definitely more in the ballpark than using the SCOPE ASIO driver w/ different OS only.

Anyway,- let´s wait for SCOPE v8 and see ...

Up to now my decision was using SCOPE (XITE and PCI) standalone,- and I will until I´ll recognize significant improvements.

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well there's definitely erratic behavior. We've always known that when a software host tries to treat Scope as a Windows soundcard then bad things happen so the reality is that some programs will work with Scope and others just won't esp when the developers aren't willing to budge.
It will be nice to have all of that sorted with the next Scope update but somehow I get the feeling it will never truly be over when you're dealing with MS.
Reaper definitely works well with Scope. Right now I'm using Ableton but I still have Reaper installed.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

But why the problem is not consistently reproduced? So far, it seems I don't have these problems in Win 10 64.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*