no sound after dsp assignment ?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

fra77x2

Re: no sound after dsp assignment ?

Post by fra77x2 »

And if it is real, my feeling is that with automatic dsp management if you sneeze by mistake or if a fly pass a couple of meters away from the system a communication error will occur...
valis

Post by valis »

I haven't had time to use Xite because I have to build the machine to use it, and there's just not a pressing need. I have it for gigs, the PCI cards work fine in the home. And the 4,999 other people who have signed up here are all in various states of their learning process, as the (current) forum steward I see little need to bash anyone who's learning, for that's why they're here...?

Anyway, I can attest to things improving even on the PCI side. No need to steer boards with CSET.ini (boards tend to go in PCI slot order unless generations are different now), and I can get more voices with things like Solaris than I used to, or certainly see less DSP allocation messages in general.

I had inquired several times in PM about your SDK offers btw, even wanted to set something up where I recorded it while streaming via OBS and my restream account, or helping you do that, or etc, so that your time spent with me could then be reshared back to the community. At the time I think you were busy, but I would hardly call that a lack of interest if I was willing to setup a new Youtube channel for the forums, assist in streaming and recording and editing etc. And I think I even offered to host a page here for you to offer the service up for financial return as well, on the main site frontend?

Relax. We're here for music not to compete over who has the best tubes or most skills. I think I'm completely fine with checking out your tube and analog playground and enjoying it for your sake, and just being happy for you. Much like I'm happy people come here to get whatever enjoyment out of Scope they have time for.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

ps I didn't bougth the tubes, i have made it with my hands. it was the last circuits i designed before i decided that i am ok with analog for the time.

I dived around ten years in analog electronics, it helped me get a perspective.

now I am even busier... i have felt in the programming/ ai pit. I try to make my computer able to discuss. listen talk see etc

this is what i like, knowledge that is accumulating and lead to new logical continuations/ evolution

competition is not bad per se especially if it is fair... if it is fair, it is good actually, reminds us a bit we are humans and alive and that our choices were justified

great there are improvements,
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

IMG_20230316_115235.jpg
IMG_20230316_115235.jpg (537.34 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
IMG_20230316_114647.jpg
IMG_20230316_114647.jpg (598.78 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fra77x2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:47 pm And if it is real, my feeling is that with automatic dsp management if you sneeze by mistake or if a fly pass a couple of meters away from the system a communication error will occur...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Aww you caught me dang it. I just photo shopped my Scope project just to fool you guys.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

It would be extreme... so it is fixed? scope 7 can reliably span resources? or you have some special pc? can you share the details of your system?
valis

Post by valis »

What I'm interested in is knowing what the limitations are so they can be worked with/around, rather than dithering over the fact that they exist. A $300 soundcard and cheap mac laptop or a tablet clearly offers a more seamless modern software workflow. But I have that too...

So I'm interested in knowing the answer too as I'll start my Xite box soon. Clients have just kept me too busy to care. I like spending time with my children more than building machines in this era, which is a good thing. I've had the parts for 3-6 months though, so...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

with a hot fuzz tone:

you know guys even if spanning resources better is fixed i doubt the algo can take care of phase issues -remember a signal adds 4-5 samples on each trip on a different dsp. And when i make production sets i tune very carefully where each stuff is loaded so to know what i am doing and everything is sample accurate at the end. for serious production work i still reccomend manual assignment
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

@yayajohn: My issue in not related to load. I can do wild dsp allocations without loosing sound within a project.
But on reload, the sound is gone and requires strange actions to get it back.

I just tried this in my project shown above:
Allocating the upper 4 channel elements and the upper Z-Dest to DSP8... everything works, sound is present.
Now I save and reload the project.. and there is no sound.
As the channel-elements show ampltiude, I tried all DSPs on the upper Z-Link Dest, but no way to get the sound back !
( The lower Z-Link Dest wasn't allocated to a certain DSP and works well.)

I also own the sdk, but I don't know where to look for DSP for an element.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (291.22 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

wow the sdk.

ok

if you select modules and press control-f the modules will get folded, moved to a sub module
pressing right click on a module and select module attributes

in the window you can see the dsp id
if you press right click inside the module attributes window and select show dsp placement of subtree you will see the dsp
placement
you can change the assigned dsp by selecting the dsp id field and pressing F2
you can enter a value between 0-17 or -1 to reset the value and inherit the value of the outer module.
The project itself is regarded a module.
If you click on an empty space on the outer layer -outside all modules-(by double clicking on a module we go inside the module)
you can see the module attributes of the whole project

you can similarly assign a value as a default dsp to load modules or set to -1. Then the automatic dsp distribution works for the project and the modules either inherit values from their parents if set to -1 or override this value with the value set i.e. 10 etc
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

the IO modules act a bit differently most work at fixed dsps.. i don't remember now by heart the details i 'll have to check the system. in general it is not complicated and the sdk can be used for production with the benefits of manual assignment, folding of modules and in general better optimising and tailoring projects. there maybe some quirks here and there but for my work i don't find any
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

and unfortuanately i don't use the z-links
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

So here comes the DSP-location measurement (thnX for you howto):

A) working project, no manual allocation:
channel = (0,9)
Z-link = (0,0)

B) same project, after manual allocation of one channel and upper Z-link dest to DSP 8
channel = (0,7)
z-link = (0,7)

Setting DSPId allowed me to change the channel to (0,9)-
The Z-link shows no change on DSPPlacement, no matter what DSPId I set.
(Some screens: clip4 and 3 show Z-link not reacting to assignment; clip2 shows channel with working assignment, clip1 shows an exception during folding, which might not be related to this discussion)
Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (9.65 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

what happens if you put all three to dsp 7?

if the z-links are locked to 0 dsp then set 0 at the z-links dsp id and then use channel 10 for the channels
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

you can also try folding the three modules set their dsp id to -1 and then assign the dsp for the module

what happens it goes to 7 and stops accepting further changes? perhaps leave the z-links to dsp 0 and use dsp 10 for the channels
does this work after reloading the project?
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

within scope:
allocated channel, z-link to DSP7.
all working, but after save and reload just silence.

loaded in sdk:
the allocated channel and Z-link report (0,6)
the functional channel and z-link report (0,9) and (0,0)

Now I set DSPId 10 for the allocated channel and I get (0,10)
Then i set 0 to the z-link and it stays at (0,6) .. this doesn't change on any and DSPId I tried.

I tried to save the project from sdk to check for changes on reload, but it refused due to "illegal things" I made :)
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

there is another trick that i don't remember exactly. I ll have to check the system tomorrow. if the IO module resets on loading
there is a procedure where you "protect" the module containg the IO modules, saving it as a module and then reloading the saved module. This will fix the case with some IOs resetting.

for protecting a module select it at the project browser window and press right click and select protect.Save it by right clicking and select save as module. Make a new file.. do not overwrite the IO module.You won't be able to go inside a protected module and see their dsp ids at the module attributes window but it will work.

use the protected module it should work. most probably z-links are fixed to dsp 0.

make connections to the modules before folding so to create input pads
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

also i am not sure if loading the scope project in the sdk is ok.

it isn't. you have to make sdk project

you will find the IO modules in the file browser window in the folder circuit design/IO

you can use the file browser or windows explorer to get scope devices in the sdk. you will have to fold them to properly app!y dsp assignations
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

now I remembered. you can't fold the IO modules. they will create the message prohibited action etc. you have to put an empty module from the circuit design folder and then drop the IO module inside.

then protect the module save it reload it and it should work

to make pads select a pad at the pad browser window and press e. An arrow will appear and there will be a new pad on the outer module.

do delete an exported pad reselect and repress e.