Anyone into Bitwig 4?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Anyone into Bitwig 4?

Post by Nestor »

Just wondering about it, as it will be given to me when I get a Nektar, not yet..., but...

Do you like it, what do you like of it? Cheers
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Re: Anyone into Bitwig 4?

Post by Nestor »

Tried it, not for me, I prefer the linear way of Cubase. I don't say is not good, it is great, but I would not use it for my kind of work.
valis

Post by valis »

I have it, need to invest more time in using it but the modulators are the reason I bought in.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I'm using bitwig under linux.
I tested many DAW to exactly follow a midi clock and tune the audio-tracks accordingly.
bitwig and ableton worked best, so I bought them.
There are many features bitwig offers, which I don't use, but I like it for doing the intented job like expected.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I guess I have judged it way too fast... Anyway, it will come as a gift for me with Nektar, so..., I have to persevere and give it a serious try, see more in depth what it can really do.

One good thing is that MIDI works extremely tight in Bitwig, this is not something you cannot say of every daw out there, not even Cubase, which has hundreds and hundreds of users with MIDI problems. The most common problem I'm talking about, is that MIDI is always written a fraction before the real time, so you see notes in the piano-roll, slightly out of tempo, notes fall always before due time.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I will give Bitwig a serious chance, so far, I can see it is such a good program, the more I learn about it the more I like, it's pretty genius really in many ways. What I didn't like from the beginning it is not Bitwig itself (I realized), but the DJ, electronic, clip pushed, loop based concept, which is not appealing to me. I could have fun for a while playing with these features, but that's all, like a toy you get tired with soon. But well..., I don't have to use it this way, I can use it in any way I like, even in the traditional linear way of composing, which is what I naturally prefer.

What I find VERY GOOD, beyond any other DAW I have worked with or tried, is the timing, it really is extremely tight. There's some programing magic back there, otherwise, how did they achieve it? It is amazing!

With my Pulsar I and Scope 7, all I can get with any other DAW is 13 milliseconds, with Bitwig I get 11, pretty interesting... But this is not the reason I am saying timing is the best in Bitwig, no, I am referring to the fact that what I play in the keyboard, it is repeated with a far greater accuracy with regard to tempo, like no other DAW does.

Not having to redo your MIDI parts it is already great, and get read of so much quarantining, I think it is bless. That is the main reason I want to give it a try. Cubase, in that regard, even being the best MIDI section compared with any other DAW in the market, it has this unacceptable problem, it writes MIDI slightly before the time it should, which is bizarre. There are thousands of people using Cubase with the same problem, no other serious DAW has this problem, but the best at doing it perfectly well, it is Bitwig. Love this fact!
astroman

Post by astroman »

The „clip pushed, loop based concept, which is not appealing to me...“ might become useful, once you have more sections of your own compositions ready.
It allows to quickly built variations of the arrangement as backings to further improvisation or whatever ideas.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I will open my mind Tom, sure, I'll see how it could accommodate the way I work, but I will keep an open mind.