Got a new midi controller keybord, period!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Got a new midi controller keybord, period!

Post by Nestor »

I hate complex solutions. Nevertheless, having little money it is almost always a complex solution..., isn’t it?
I am very used to play with 49 keys, but had to go with a 25 keyboard now, because it is what I can afford. Anyhow, I have chosen a great, powerful solution, a Novation Impulse 25.

25 keys is way too little for my playing style, but this little thing has so many advantages and so much power that I am surprised, I will play both keyboards, the 49 and the 25 together. Of course, going from a M-Audio Keyrig 49 to this one, is like changing a mediocre bicycle for a good car…, even if it is a small car, the difference is just astounding.

We are in difficult economic times right now, that’s the problem, otherwise, I would go straight for an 88 semi-weighted with all the faders in the world, but this is what I can afford and I am extremely thankful to life for this possibility.

As I say, I will use both keyboards at the same time. I will try to disable pitch and mod wheels in the M-Audio, see if it works correctly, and will add the Impulse to the rig, problem solved, hopefully.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Re: Got a new midi controller keybord, period!

Post by Nestor »

The Novation is in its way home still, so a few days till I can comment on it.

Is there anyone with an Impulse in here? cheers
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm a little restless right now, when it comes to "instruments", I am always eager to test them, like a child yes :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

That’s a smart solution to use a small keyboard to get the dials back 8)
Not that I intended it, but I had a Casio VZ-8M in the attic for a decade. Bought because it was cheap and had support for their midi guitar and sax, but then NEVER used it... until a couple of days ago :D
(turned out much more capable than expected)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cool brother Astro! We have to keep going. One of my preferred ones is the Arturia CZ V, obviously, it is not hardware, but it is really pretty nice.

I have already prepared my PC for this little guy beforehand: got drivers, mapper 4 app, the PDFs to study it (manuals and the so), all of it. It has been sent just today, I have received the pics a few minutes ago, so, I'm anxious.

Tutorials and reviews give the Impulse line very good reviews, it is preferred by many home studio guys. Some would say that Komplete Kontrol is the best, Others, Arturia, but both are centered in their own software, i guess Novation is much more open, software wise, and contains a wider approach to the market, I prefer something like this. It comes with some templates already for Kontakt, Massive, it works well with Arturia Synths, etc., so, there you are.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Still 5 days to go.... agghrrrr... too long a wait
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Already changed my Avatar in here and registered in Novation the new hardware, but not yet here...

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yet another day..... haaaaaaaaaaaa (that's supposed to be a loud noise)...

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

FAKE NEWS MOMENT:
Yesterday I was daydreaming about pitchbending and modulating…, jonesing for it like a madman… I could not help it and so went for a walk around the streets of the city. After a few minutes, I started to pitchbend and modulate anything I could find and handle easily, anything that could go up and down at my command with the left hand, until I realized I had been pitchbending people’s noses. When I woke up from my pitch and modulation hypnosis, I realized I was in trouble as a crowd started to run after me to put me into justice.

Those who suffered the modulation rub in their heads in the other hand, for lack of affection in their personal lives followed me so I could repeat the modulation moves. They said it felt like a soft and delicious caress that gave them back the spirit of being alive, while they would say, vibrating their larynxes in a synth like voice, woooooooooooooo, in accordance with the modulating moves of my left hand, can you believe it?

When both crows, the pitchbended and the modulated confronted me, I was in danger. The pitchbended guys versus the modulated ones, had a confrontation, so, fortunately for me, they compensated each other and the problem was over, so I got back to my home and asked myself like this: “Why did I act on impulse?” And as I said the word “impulse”…, well…, I started to daydream all over again and the story repeated itself on the go.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, yet another day in the void............ haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I wanna play..., I wanna play...,
I wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna play...
Ho yeah...

Ho yeah...

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Waiting...., Waiting...., Waiting....., still not here, it is irrational, I know, but I want it now!!!

Now!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Today is the longest day ever...

PITCHMODKNOBKEY POEM:

Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend… If I don’t have you where I will my time spend?
Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend… I need to feel you, beloved tiny wheel, so the sounds blend…
Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend… If I don’t start soon to transcend this pain, I will myself get to an end…

Modulation, knobs and keys, brothers and sisters in the fields of abstract resonances, I call upon you, come back to my hands to celebrate the miracle of music. Compositions that comes from nowhere, and that…, nevertheless, are everywhere…

Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend… If I don’t have you where I will my time spend?
Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend… I need to feel you, beloved tiny wheel, so the sounds blend…
Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend, Pitch Bend… If I don’t start soon to transcend this pain, I will myself get to an end…

Up and down, up and down, up and down…, like mountains of waves moving across the universe…
Up and down, up and down, up and down…, I write my emotions in the forefront and in reverse…
Up and down, up and down, up and down…, charming wheel of sound traverse and inverse…

Modulation, knobs and keys, brothers and sisters in the fields of abstract resonances, I call upon you, come back to my hands to celebrate the miracle of music. Compositions that comes from nowhere, and that…, nevertheless, are everywhere…

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I´m waiting for SCOPE 7 update since years now as also for some "device" connecting XITE-1 via D-Sub25 XTDM to Dante and rtpMIDI network.

I wonder if I should post pics of my bored and aging face, my retirement, progressive infirmity and in the end my funeral when that day comes.

:D

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I wish you well Bud, but yes, absolutely brother! Get into this cathartic scenario and let our friends on the Z have some fun with our crazy faces... We need it in these present days! Post all you want, and if you want to include your face, be welcomed! :P :P :P
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Talking seriously, I do need to compose, because when I do I get out of my own routine and the madness that is all around us right now. When I come back from any composition I’ve been working on, be it good or bad, (because I abstract myself into it), I feel much better and even comprehend better whatever situation that could surround me. I do need music in a daily basis!

I’m a heavy pitch and mod user, they are essential for my musical experience in terms of expression mostly I mean.

Why I am so anxious for a little keyboard like this one? Perhaps for you guys it is something totally normal and non-transcendental, but for me it is something great, I have never had a keyboard MIDI controller other than the keyboard itself, with no faders, knobs or programing, so having so many knobs and possibilities is crazy.

By the way, I contacted Novation and they advised me to work with Automap 4 in state of the HUI protocol as I am still in Win 7 64 and I am not planning to move any time soon anyway. Well, many people, (I have learned), still use and love Automap, even in these days and with Win 10 because they are used to the way it works.

Yesterday I was listening to a podcast made by Paul Whittington from Focusrite, Senior Product Manager at Novation. This guy was at the front of the development of Automap, and I realized Automap is much more than I expected it to be. In fact, I said to myself: I am paying for an excellent piece of hardware at a good price for what it is, yes, but, how much more money should I pay for the programing of Automap 4?” It is a mature software and if in any case you cannot map things automatically the way you want, you can always and pretty easily use other methods that are manual, but very reliable and fast, so I don’t care. They have been programing this thing for about 7 years in a row, which means: “It is a precious piece of software”.

I have been making music and away from technology, as I always do for a few years in a row. I don’t believe in being up to date with the latest hardware and software every year, it is a lot of money for me, money I don’t have, and a lot of hassle too. So when I come back now and then because I really need it, I’m always in awe, the advancements are always greater than expected.

This little keyboard does everything I have been dreaming of having for many years, that is the reason of my excitement, I will be able to go faster, concentrating my mind in the musical creative process without losing momentum, something I believe it is priceless :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:33 pm ...
I’m a heavy pitch and mod user, they are essential for my musical experience in terms of expression mostly I mean.
Me too !
Nestor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:33 pm I have never had a keyboard MIDI controller other than the keyboard itself, with no faders, knobs or programing, so having so many knobs and possibilities is crazy.
I own both,- an assortment of older MIDI keyboards and so called "controllers" too,- these w/ keys,- Edirol PCR 300 and 500 and a Roland A800 as well,- as also w/o keys,- JL Cooper Fadermaster Pro.
I also "misuse" my ancient Roland R-8 "human drum machine" as a MIDI controller ´cause it offers 16 quality velocity sensitive pads w/ 5 banks (!!!) and allows assining a dedicated MIDI channel and MIDI note number to each pad.

But now don´t ask how often I use this gear,- as a musician prefering to play on keyboard instruments w/ quality 61 and 76 key synth action and 88 full length (pivot point !) weighted keys.

I mention quality because all my "old" gear is way more reliable than anything I bought within the past decade,- period!
In fact, I had to replace 10 faders in these controller keyboards meanwhile and don´t ask how difficult to find these replacement parts for a DIY job.
In addition, on the PCR-300, the rubber coating of knob- and fader caps as also the PB-, Mod paddle became sticky.

Regardless how many options I got w/ these tiny controllers in regards of programing,- their keyboard actions ALL suck,- last but not least because the keys are too short and you don´t get much velocity range at the end of these keys ´cause there´s the pivot point already.
Nestor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:33 pm I am still in Win 7 64 and I am not planning to move any time soon
Welcome to the club,- almost !
My DAWs are Win7 Pro 32Bit (SCOPE PCI in HP server), Win7 Pro 64Bit rackmount (XITE-1 or RME Babyface) and my laptops (Lenovo W540 / 541) are Win 10 Pro x64.
I can use these w/ both,- Scope v7 x64 XITE-1 (expresscard34) or RME Babyface.
There´s a 3rd machine being set up soon,- older rackmount w/ Win XP SP3 32Bit and Win7 Pro 32Bit on swappable drives in harmony w/ Scope v5.1 32Bit, another set of SCOPE PCI cards and RME Hammerfall 9652 PCI card.
This will be mainly for Scope samplers and VDAT as the multitrack recorder,- alternately still working w/ the old RME card under WinXP and w/ ASIO then.

I keep my old gear busy,- it still sounds good,- and there´s no need for latest greatest ever.
Nestor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:33 pm I don’t believe in being up to date with the latest hardware and software every year
same here, see above ...
Nestor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:33 pm This little keyboard does everything I have been dreaming of having for many years
Congrats,-
that "Automap 4" sounds promising !

:)

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow Bud, you do have an arsenal there!
Amazing that old stuff is better in quality, as you say, than new stuff. The market has implemented everywhere this horrible concept of programed obsolescence, so everything has a time of service and boom, it dies when you least expect it to die, it is a shame, such a lack of respect to nature.

Many friends, even here at the Z, have an XP DAW that is still in use, why not? As you say, they also sound good. The important thing is “music” at the end of the day.

One of the few “fatar based” 88 MIDI keyboards out there today is the Arturia Keylab 88:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ction.html
Piano players say it is really great, you close your eyes and it feels like a real piano.

Well…, today is THE DAY, my little Impulse25 should arrive this afternoon, I hope there is no delay. I really want to plug it immediately. Cheers :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:41 am
One of the few “fatar based” 88 MIDI keyboards out there today is the Arturia Keylab 88:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ction.html
Piano players say it is really great, you close your eyes and it feels like a real piano.
Unfortunately, the latter isn´t true.
These are the cheapo Fatar "hammer" actions like TP-100(LR),- nowadays TP-115 at best (see Studiologic NUMA X pianos).
Same rules for NI´s 88-keys keyboard controllers.

The only acceptable MIDI controller/ master keyboard w/ 88 weighted key hammer action was the Viscount Physis Piano K4 which forumite "dawman" (R.I.P. !) used.
It´s discontinued already and used the Fatar TP40L you find today in Kurzweil K2700 again.
Formerly It was also in Kurzweil PC3X and PC3K8.

Today´s top standard is Fatar TP400 wood w/ triple sensor per key, performing repetitions better than 2 velocity sensors only.
But "triple sensor" piano type action was way better realized by Kawai before already.
Kawai MP11SE followed by Kawai VPC-1 still offer the best actions for piano players, along w/ Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Montage and CP88 or forerunner CP-4.
With these actions, which are all in the top league, it´s only up to you which you prefer.
But when it comes to the other haptics like knobs, sliders and so on, the Roland RD-2000 wins.

Anyway,- when you´re not a pianist in 1st place, you´ll be fine w/ your new controller for a period of time.
At the end of the day,- these things are only for DAW usage, not concert touring/gigging,- and there´s the price difference too.

I myself, when using these controller toys and want weighted action, I midi it up w/ my ancient Rhodes MK80 which has a good action and run the merged MIDI data stream into the DAW.
I also bought Audiofront "MIDIexpression iO" https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php to spend my MK80 USB MIDI and more connectors for pedals and switches.
Comes w/ software editor and allows great configuration for connected stuff.
This, in combination w/ JL Cooper Fadermaster Pro is amazingly versatile.

Finding the right toys to combine w/ my old but still reliable gear, saved several thousands of bucks meanwhile.
I invest that money in "in house" maintenance and repairs,- so my friend and tech gets the cash,- and I don´t produce much of electronic scrap.
That´s good enough for me and good for the planet, I think.

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

So they are not real fatar mechanisms? That is, they are a lower version of the famous ones? Bloody marketing! I believed it all!

Are you kidding me? I have just learned Dawman passed away! What a sad announcement Bud, I loved this guy very much. We shared many years of very nice conversations, music and enthusiasm. I’m so sorry, what a shock, I didn’t know anything about he being ill either, I have been away for such a long time in here. We did some musical interchanges online too.

They have just knocked in my door when I was writing this post, the Impulse keyboard has just arrived, but…, I can’t be happy right now, not like this... I will read the rest of your post later Bud, thank you for such a nice conversation you gave me. Jimmie was the man!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 am So they are not real fatar mechanisms? That is, they are a lower version of the famous ones? Bloody marketing! I believed it all!
Fatar manufactures MANY different keyboard actions,- great ones, good ones and not so good ones.
Very good ones have a price,- and weight !
You won´t find very good ones in cheap and/or lightweight keyboards.

When you wand lightweight an good,- buy Fatar TP-8S or TP-9S.
These are the synth actions you´d find in J.B: Solaris (TP8), Kurzweil 61-keys workstation synths PC3 and PC3K models,- and Native Instruments controllers below 88 keys.
It´s possible there´s an Arturia offering TP-9S too.
Nestor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 am Are you kidding me? I have just learned Dawman passed away! What a sad announcement Bud, I loved this guy very much. We shared many years of very nice conversations, music and enthusiasm. I’m so sorry, what a shock, I didn’t know anything about he being ill either, I have been away for such a long time in here. We did some musical interchanges online too.
He unfortunately passed away june 15, 2022 ... viewtopic.php?p=352637#p352637.
Nestor wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:31 am Jimmie was the man!
Yes !

Bud