PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Cool Gear PCI to PCI Expansion

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Just been looking at one of these expansion boxes - Please see below

https://www.coolgear.com/product/pci-ex ... ansion-box

Is there any technical impediment or reason why this would not work with 3 X PCI cards onto a PCI-e slot?

After reading the tech specs it shows 2.5 Gb/s (Giga-bits-per-second)

USB 2 = 480 Mb/s (mega-bits-per-second) which is good for 24 channels I/O simultaneously

480 X 4 = 1,920 mega-bits-per-second or 1.9 Gb/s - Giga-bits-per-second so - Which is enough bandwidth for 96 channels I/O

The reason why I write this is that a 3 Scope PCI system would not have as many I/O channels simultaneously and should work no problem with this expansion box - But I ask here to see if anyone can offer any reason why this would not work? - Thanks - :)
valis

Re: Cool Gear PCI to PCI Expansion

Post by valis »

Try & report back, perhaps they have a good return policy.
fraz

Post by fraz »

valis wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:48 pm Try & report back, perhaps they have a good return policy.
Hello - :) - This isn't a good comment - :lol: - But don't worry - I did figure I'd try this out - and it has plenty of bandwidth 2.5 Gb/s.

Star Tech do a big box version as well but it has 2 X PCI & 2 X PCI-e - X1 - So this box will fit in two PCI cards - Two Scope Pro's 28-30 DSP - So I'll try this version out.

A little while back I got an RME card - PCI-e X1 - model was AIO - Long story short is it didn't load the drivers when the card was in the X1 slot - But when I moved to an X16 slot - The drivers loaded and RME was up and running - This was my first experience of RME - But it did revolve around a PCI-e X1 slot - and an X16 slot.

This Star Tech box is the same idea - a PCI-e X1 card that may have a better chance in an X16 slot - If it does work it means any boards from X79 to X99 to Z390 / Z490 / Z590 & X570 & C602 / C612 / C621 & TRX40 - Would be a go-er for the PCI cards - If it can work - :lol:
valis

Post by valis »

Often cards are X1 for logical connections, but still require the amperage (watts) supplied by an X4 slot. I have video capture devices that are similar.

Also, I suggested to try because it's doubtful anyone has yet tried it and it might be advantageous to the community. Hope that's ok!
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hello - Yes I will try one out at some point - I've bought it and now its arrived - It is STAR TECH https://www.startech.com/en-gb/cards-ad ... pex2pcie4l

Which is 2 X PCI & 2 X PCI-E - But it was cheaper to buy

The Cool Gear version looks very much the same but is 4 X PCI

No driver is required and native support is mentioned from within Windows so I see no reason why it should not work - But the elctrical connection you mention from an X4 slot or higher will be used.

Total bandwidth is 2,500 mega-bits-per-second or 2.5 Gb/s - giga-bits-per-second - So there is more than enough bandwidth

I checked the user manual which stipulates to power the unit on 1ST - Before main PC is booted - In time I'll try this out - But I can't try it now as I'm too busy looking at other things - But I've got a unit -
at0m

Post by at0m »

That looks very promising.

Initially I was a bit sceptic, cos "it's not just about throughput'. But I was also a bit lazy, so a quick search turned up this superuser.com post on PCI max throughput:

Conventional PCI buses operate with the following bandwidths:
  • PCI 32-bit, 33 MHz: 1067 Mbit/s or 133.33 MB/s
  • PCI 32-bit, 66 MHz: 266 MB/s

I remember taking my cards on the road in a magma chassis, maybe 15y ago, on PCMCIA expansion card. For some more details, here's on old z post on them.

In theory this PCIe-to-PCI expansion box should have plenty more bandwidth, indeed.
Looking forward to reading your experience!
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

For 3 hot running Scope cards, this Coolgear case might need a fan.
Enough space in the back for a 80mm NB Noiseblocker or such ?
How to power the fan ?
The ext. PSU might not provide enough power for additions.
Warranty is lost when modding the case.

Otherwise it might work when it really provides enough power for 3 5V PCI cards.

IIRC, Pulsar-2 needs ~ 11W and a Scope Power Pulsar or >Pro ~ 14W.
I downloaded flyer and owners manual but don´t see any specs (Watts or VA / ampere) for the 12V AC/DC PSU.

:)

Bud
Refrochia

Post by Refrochia »

Hi Fraz

Did the box work ok? I’m having issues with one of the PCI slots on my almost 13 year old motherboard and would like to buy a new PC but trying to find an up to date MB with PCI slots is proving difficult so want to know if one of these boxes is a viable alternate.

I was also wondering how you supply power to the IO boards using one of these boxes to house the cards-can you shed any light on that please?

Thanks
R
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know.
valis

Post by valis »

Look at server vendors for motherboards. There are many embedded applications (business 2 business) where PCI slots are still needed (there are still ISA slots!!) and companies like Supermicro offer boards. I went with a 2015 era board with 3x PCI slots and an older quad core XEONz
Refrochia

Post by Refrochia »

Hi Valis

Yes I've seen some posts about using a XEON server board however I would rather get an up to date processor and MB if I can. Just really hope the PCI to PCI-e converters work!

Thanks
R
garyb

Post by garyb »

PCI slots are obsolete.
look at server boards, as Valis suggested. consumer boards will likely not have PCI slots anymore.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

I'd like to recommend MSI B350.
I have a Tomahawk Arctic which has two PCI slots and gives 13 Masterverbs.
I think it's from 2018, but together with a Ryzen5 CPU it gives you enough power for your DAW.
Be sure to have the mainboard updated to the last version, otherwise you cannot use the newer Ryzen CPUs.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

roy thinnes wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:21 am I'd like to recommend MSI B350.
I have a Tomahawk Arctic which has two PCI slots and gives 13 Masterverbs.
I think it's from 2018, but together with a Ryzen5 CPU it gives you enough power for your DAW.
Be sure to have the mainboard updated to the last version, otherwise you cannot use the newer Ryzen CPUs.
I did a search in germany ...
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=MSI+B350&t=ffab&ia=web

try to find a shop ... :-?
Unavailable, even @Amazon.
"Mediamarkt" has it on disply for EUR 90,- w/ the announcement: "available SOON again"

And what´s up when there are more than 2 Scope PCI cards ?

I also googled for serverboards,- and there´s just only 1 (One) "Supermicro" w/ PCI slots @Mindfactory,- and it´s VERY expensive compared to the MSI.

It´s not so easy to buy the right electronics these days.

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

there are companies that only make server boards, other than supermicro....
valis

Post by valis »

For Supermicro we can look at their motherboard matrix: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/ ... rds/matrix

In the 12th generation (X12 boards), you are correct there is only 1 PCI slot on those Supermicro boards. But these are intended for consumer applications. Going backwards in generation I see:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/ ... d/X11SSA-F i (I own this board, it has 4 PCI slots!)
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/ ... d/X11SAE-F (2 PCI slots)
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/ ... d/X11SAE-F (2 PCI slots)

And GaryB is correct, this is far from the only server/embedded motherboard manufacturer that will have boards that will have PCI slots.

https://servers.asus.com/products/Serve ... /P10S-V-4L (4 32bit/33mhz PCI slots)

MSI & ASRock have some server boards with PCI slots in the 2 previous generations as well.

If you're looking for a motherboard on par with current generation consumer gear AND 3-4 PCI slots, probably not going to happen.

Btw I run Scope alongside my DAW using ADAT, analog i/o, Midi, RTPMidi, etc.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

DFI also offers pci, like this with 5 pci slots:
https://www.dfi.com/de/product/index/1606

Nevertheless, those pci-expanders also worked for me (using magma brand). The number of masterverbs was 50% of that of the mainboard, but in my usecase not a limitation.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Refrochia

Post by Refrochia »

Some great motherboard suggestions so thanks for that

@nebelfuerst - what Magma product are you using and how is the latency? Also, if its an enclosure how are you providing the power to the boards?

@Fraz - are you able to report on your experience with the Startech enclosure?
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I have two magma expanders. One with 3 slots and one with 13 slots. The card on the pc-side can either be pci or pcie.
I tried scope in the 13 slot and an old pulsar in the 3 slot-version, both worked.
The 3 slot came with its on powersupply and case, but not sure if a 15 dsp would fit there.
the 13 slot is in a standard pc case, with an atx powersupply.

These are quite old, so you might look at ebay to find them. The pcie card seems still to be quite expensive.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
valis

Post by valis »

Magma is the standard (PlanetZ) approved solution for using an external PCI expansion chassis.
Refrochia

Post by Refrochia »

Thanks Nebelfuerst

What latency settings did you use with the cards plugged into the Magma boxes? Did you have any issues with lower buffer size settings?

Regarding the power question-the pulsar and scope cards need the old floppy drive power cable style connector plugging into the IO board-do the magma boxes have such a cable? If not what did you use for this?