Scope card and surround/atmos in cubendo

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

outsounder

Scope card and surround/atmos in cubendo

Post by outsounder »

Ok, Pulsar 6 dsp and myself are out of retirement after a few years and recently Upgraded to scope V7 on PC/Win10 pro 64 bit with Cubendo, its very stable but do have some occasional/random clicks ands crackling and i'm a bit rusty after not using the card for some years! After connecting the adat outs to a 16 channel exterior adat converter i borrowed, and then analog from that to powered monitors it seems it works fine in surround and atmos using the cubendo atmos renderer but, there are a few problems so some questions if I may (I have been scouring the threads and trying to find answers)

1) Unfortunately. Ive noticed that in Sound Devices there are 3 sets of Sonic Core speakers and spdif Interfaces, doesnt seem right, should i uninstall the lot and re-install V7?

2) Advice from steinberg is to set asio buffer at 512 fro immersive audio though in the daw studio setting, choose asio drivers and set at 512. In scope settings theres no asio buffer, just sample rate and approx ms of latency in the settings, is it me showing my years and not looking in the right place or am i looking for something thats not there? I cant any box allowing me to change to 512 samples!

3)There seems a conflicts in disabling mulit threads in BIOS/Cubendo/asio gaurd/Kontakt/Scope etc? The scope card is purely to give 16 channels of adat to surround/atmos and the stereo spdif to stereo master/monitor.

4) When running cubendo with the scope card, should cubendo daw be set to master/slave or vice versa? Daw or Scope card or thge xternal adat converter/digital mixer?

I'd like to resolve this before buying my own adat converter, the clicks and crackles are there in stereo analog and spdif so they're coming from the card. The system runs like clockwork on standard USB asio and mixes large multi track projects without a whisper with no hiccups with suprisingly low resource uage, though when run with scope card the cubendo performance meter shows pulses and erratic perfomance though CPU is only 2% in windows resource monitor, the scope clock maybe? It's frustrating, its almost there and it would be fantastic if there were no clicks and crackles so any advice would be really appreciated!

System specs

Hardware Asus Z87K
CPU Intel i7-4790k' 4Ghz 4cores 8 thread
Physical RAM 32gb
Display Nvidia GT 730
USB: Allen and Heath Asio
Attachments
Shared IRQ's.png
Shared IRQ's.png (3.71 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Sound Devices.png
Sound Devices.png (34.82 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Startup.png
Startup.png (37.67 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Audio devices.png
Audio devices.png (5.31 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
garyb

Re: Scope card and surround/atmos in cubendo

Post by garyb »

Scope is noit a Windows soundcard. in other words it is not controlled by Windows and it is not part of Windows. what you see on the screen is merely a gui. Scope happens on the cards, which are seperate processors that Windows knows nothing about. the Cubase settings are referring to what to do with a standard soundcard. Scope cards do not function like that.

however, the good news is that 512 samples equals about 12ms @ 44.1k. so set the ULLI in Scope to something pretty close to that and you are good.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I have no Win10 experience, but in previous OS versions it was‘t cool if Scope shared with the graph card IRQ.
Try to move Scope to the other PCI slot and check if things improve.
outsounder

Post by outsounder »

Thanks Gary, are there anything in those pics that give any clue to the odd crackles and pops that have started again?
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you could move the card to another slot, it might help. as astro suggested, sharing an irq with the graphics isn't best. is EIST, hyperthreading and/or turbo disabled in the bios?
fidox

Post by fidox »

Normally, in device manager I disable "High Definition Audio Controller" if you don't use it from graphic card output.

I also use for testing LatencyMon application if there and where are high spikes in realtime.

And yes, since I have 2 computers connected together over Adat, i remember that sometime I heard clicks and pops out of speakers, but not sure, what was the case. Probably re-connecting cables again or something similar, can't remember. :)
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
valis

Post by valis »

Digital connections clocking = poor clock. Bad cables can cause this too, as can incorrect sync settings between devices, etc.
garyb

Post by garyb »

be sure to only have one digital master. everthing else MUST be slave.