Scope Pulsar cards: Using MIDI in modern programs?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

PlanetZaxxon

Scope Pulsar cards: Using MIDI in modern programs?

Post by PlanetZaxxon »

Hello! So I just built a new system for my scope pulsar cards, running windows 10 now and what not. Everything works as it should within scope. I can use all the inputs and outputs, including midi in and out. But is it not possible to use those midi ins and outs within modern DAW software, such as FL Studio or Reaper?

In FL Studio, it actually comes up as "Scope PCI" for midi devices, but it says "FAIL" after it, and will not work. Reaper detects it as well but does nothing. I even tried some VST hosts, and tried sending midi into the midi in to control the VST HOST and it wont read any midi data.

I understand the Scope stuff is a self contained system, but is there no way to utilize the midi ins and outs on the scope pulsar cards within Windows 10?

Thanks in advance!
valis

Re: Scope Pulsar cards: Using MIDI in modern programs?

Post by valis »

What version of Scope software are you running?

What version of each application are you running?
PlanetZaxxon

Post by PlanetZaxxon »

Scope v7, and since I just set this up, it is all the latest versions of each one, if you mean for FL STUDIO and REAPER, as well as scope v7 tho yes.
valis

Post by valis »

Right click on the shortcut for each, set compatibility mode to Win8, report back what happens when you launch. Scope should of course be running before you start your DAW/audio application, and please close the application before making any changes in Scope to samplerate, ULLI latency, or closing Scope (you can also set 'release audio in background' or similar for applications that provide this option).
garyb

Post by garyb »

nothing special us required....
you need sequencer source and destination ports in your Scope project BEFORE opening the midi app. you can change many things with the sequencer app open, but ASIO and midi source and destination cannot be changed or activated with the sequencer app open. you can connect or disconnect the cabling at any time.
you can use as many pairs as you need with 16 midi channels for each pair.

the Pulsar midi source is the hardware input from a controller or other midi hardware. it needs to be connected to the sequencer midi destination to get midi from external hardware into the app.

likewise the Pulsar midi destination is the cards midi output. to get midi out to hardware from the app, the sequencer midi source needs to be connected to it,

just think of the sequencer midi source and destination as the application's midi jacks. they are just like hardware midi jacks. the application needs to see the modules being present in the Scope routing window when it starts or it can't use them.

the Pulsar midi source and destination are the ends of the cables connected to the card.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

Could you send us a screenshot of routing window?
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

@ARCADIOS: Who is this question posed to ?

To get an idea, how to set up Midi/DAW with scope I suggest to read these links:

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_29/ab_mast.htm
http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_29/
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

Hi Planetzaxxxon

If you use scope's midi you need to connect your midi source to seq midi dest.
That's why i asked for routing window..
PlanetZaxxon

Post by PlanetZaxxon »

Oh duh! Yes forgot this can be all done with routing within the scope software.. I routed MIDI SOURCE to SEQUENCER MIDI, and then opened FL STUDIO and the midi port is in GREEN and usable.

Thanks for this writeup and to everyone else's response!!!!

garyb wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 pm nothing special us required....
you need sequencer source and destination ports in your Scope project BEFORE opening the midi app. you can change many things with the sequencer app open, but ASIO and midi source and destination cannot be changed or activated with the sequencer app open. you can connect or disconnect the cabling at any time.
you can use as many pairs as you need with 16 midi channels for each pair.

the Pulsar midi source is the hardware input from a controller or other midi hardware. it needs to be connected to the sequencer midi destination to get midi from external hardware into the app.

likewise the Pulsar midi destination is the cards midi output. to get midi out to hardware from the app, the sequencer midi source needs to be connected to it,

just think of the sequencer midi source and destination as the application's midi jacks. they are just like hardware midi jacks. the application needs to see the modules being present in the Scope routing window when it starts or it can't use them.

the Pulsar midi source and destination are the ends of the cables connected to the card.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

🙂