Scope 5.1 (Pulsar II) and Windows 11

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

Re: Scope 5.1 (Pulsar II) and Windows 11

Post by Liquid EDGE »

…….
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

……..
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 am So whats the issue here ? Is it a question of whether S|C support Scope 5.1 under Windows 11 ?
Yeah,- OP doesn´t want to move on and would like to run SCOPE v5.1 on Win11.

So,- there´s NO issue.

It was always announced which SCOPE is for which OS.
Users of old hardware have to accept that.

Scope v4 / 4.5 = Win 2K / XP
Scope v5 = XP, VIsta, Win 7
Scope v5.1 = the same IIRC
Scope v7.0 = like you already wrote below
dante wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 am Here at http://scope.zone/index.php?id=1611&lg=en I see that Scope 7 is compatible with :
Host Computer Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP: 32 Bit / 64 Bit
Microsoft Windows 7: 32 Bit / 64 Bit
Microsoft Windows 8: 32 Bit / 64 Bit
Microsoft Windows 10: 32 Bit / 64 Bit
So,- there was backwards compatibility ALWAYS and much more than other companies usually provide.
dante wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 am Nothing about Windows 11. (Theres also no statement I can see regarding Scope 5.1 and Windows versions.)
No official statements up to now,- but and Scope v7.0/ Win11 only:
viewtopic.php?t=36995
dante wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 am So to me Scope isnt officially supporting Windows 11 at all - 5.1 or 7. Correct me if Im wrong
Correct,- for the time being.
dante wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 am One would hope with the new forthcoming S|C web presence that there will be at least some positioning regards Windows 11. In the meantime everything said here is kinda moot isnt it ?
I don´t understand why it´s urgently necessary to use Win11 at all,- regardless for which tasks ever.
There´s still enough time to jump on that train when necessary.
Win11 will need time to improve too.
But it´s all about security s##t we don´t need for audio/MIDI/ DAW etc..

IMO, OP should take the chance and buy Scope v7 (and other goodies) from new webshop, once up and for a discount like Holger announced:
"We want to run a promotion motivated by Black Friday, for Hardware and Software as well."

viewtopic.php?t=37006

So, when OP prefers Scope 5.1,- he should stay w/ that and Win 7,- which is a good running Scope system anyway.
I also recommend 32Bit w/ that,- and run it on a 2nd machine side by side w/ "latest,greatest" DAW. :wink:

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:29 am I don´t understand why it´s urgently necessary to use Win11 at all,- regardless for which tasks ever.
Its not urgent at all. However, if I was today contemplating spending several large on any piece of DAW hardware I'd be holding back until I knew it was going to be supported on Win11.
valis

Post by valis »

What OS is worth using in the first 6-12 months for any productive user? I usually test it for some time before deploying, and this applies to Mac, Linux & GNU/Bsd as well as windows.
dante

Post by dante »

I'd do 6 - 12 month wait/tests plus require official vendor support.
valis

Post by valis »

I think for each person it's going to be dependent on what tools/apps they use, and how much time they have to adapt their workflow to new setups (reinstalling etc). I'm also not sold on Win11 being secure in the ways that really matter, so giving time to find all of the hidden data connections seems sensible as well.

As a corollary I find myself more and more using windows machines just for casual use (gaming etc) and the applications I need there (Autodesk, Adobe and some audio stuff) and moving secure data workflows elsewhere. I started this when I did the big writeup in OT but still have resisted h having an MS login (I use a local account) and a persistent desktop across devices. I'm in no hurry personally, but at some point non-Enterprise Windows desktops aren't going to be usable without things like the task view history and syncing at least certain things to the MS cloudbrain, so it's best to be prepared in that respect. Same with Mac... as a Harrison user, this affords you some flexibility even for audio, but I think I'm prepared to have mechanical ways to disable cameras and mics and just use machines for the tasks I need them for, which has already been my approach with my Scope machine and a few other ones here.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

…….
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

valis wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:29 pm I think for each person it's going to be dependent on what tools/apps they use, and how much time they have to adapt their workflow to new setups (reinstalling etc). I'm also not sold on Win11 being secure in the ways that really matter, so giving time to find all of the hidden data connections seems sensible as well.

As a corollary I find myself more and more using windows machines just for casual use (gaming etc) and the applications I need there (Autodesk, Adobe and some audio stuff) and moving secure data workflows elsewhere. I started this when I did the big writeup in OT but still have resisted h having an MS login (I use a local account) and a persistent desktop across devices. I'm in no hurry personally, but at some point non-Enterprise Windows desktops aren't going to be usable without things like the task view history and syncing at least certain things to the MS cloudbrain, so it's best to be prepared in that respect. Same with Mac... as a Harrison user, this affords you some flexibility even for audio, but I think I'm prepared to have mechanical ways to disable cameras and mics and just use machines for the tasks I need them for, which has already been my approach with my Scope machine and a few other ones here.
I really don’t like where things are heading with regards to computers, it really seems that collectively a lot of software companies are trying to head towards total control of what one owns or doesn’t..

I’m not happy with how Stienberg are changing their activation and licensing. Software in future will HAVE to be reactivated often via the internet.

Having the experience of Native instruments dropping reactivating certain older software. Shows how it can be set up to just “take away” what you own.

So for me, it looks like I’m going stick with cubase 11 (like I did with for the past 10 years with cubase 4/5)

Windows 11 won’t install on my computer. I’m sort of glad, as I don’t even want a new OS.

I’m the type of person that likes to set up everything, getting all working. And then just switch off from gear lust, and make music!!

Only updating Scope every so often with a new plug in etc. as this is an OS that doesn’t relentlessly force obsoletion of stuff and force upgrading.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I’ve just got myself the Space f delay and echo. It works perfectly regardless if it’s xp or win10. Like nearly everything on scope does.

That’s impressive!

The reason I keep both xp and win10 is due to all the different software and such that doesn’t work on the other.
So I have choice, maschine 1.8 on xp for example, it does what I need and I refuse to pay for v2 to have it on win10..

It’s down to you if you want to pay to use something on a new OS. Luckily Scope 7 works on xp, 7, 8, 10, and it seems 11 is fine.
valis

Post by valis »

I still have my XP box, it's just too hot and too slow for the heat it generates. I have no idea if I can install XP on my current 11th gen Xeon tbh.
Liquid EDGE wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:50 pm I really don’t like where things are heading with regards to computers, it really seems that collectively a lot of software companies are trying to head towards total control of what one owns or doesn’t..

I’m not happy with how Stienberg are changing their activation and licensing. Software in future will HAVE to be reactivated often via the internet.

Having the experience of Native instruments dropping reactivating certain older software. Shows how it can be set up to just “take away” what you own.

So for me, it looks like I’m going stick with cubase 11 (like I did with for the past 10 years with cubase 4/5)

Windows 11 won’t install on my computer. I’m sort of glad, as I don’t even want a new OS.

I’m the type of person that likes to set up everything, getting all working. And then just switch off from gear lust, and make music!!

Only updating Scope every so often with a new plug in etc. as this is an OS that doesn’t relentlessly force obsoletion of stuff and force upgrading.
I don't disagree with this, it was clear watching the tech industry consolidate that options were going to be more limited in the future, and Gary has often said the same quite overtly. Most of this is driven by the commodity status of the bulk of the financial return in this game. For now, gathering older resources for critical workflows while seeing what can be adapted from the new while avoiding the 'embrace, extend (extinguish)' goal of many of the top driven companies is what I think most can reasonably do.

I could of course go on at length with a critical analysis of why certain entities are pushing spatial audio formats that fall largely within their own domain(s), and so on. But this is obvious to most of the longterm users here, and a bit off topic for the thread.

The licensing issue is of course one of the primary reasons I am interested in helping the Scope cards. A new web frontend is good because it means that S|C can still earn an income, and similarly it means that our key investments are maintained. The ownership model of software has always been an issue, and hardware that requires software to do its thing is similarly bound. Stallman & co. knew that (GNU).

Not much GNU out there either, for all the 'freedom' that linux has it's still reliant on corporate investment of time to function, and the GPL side of the coin shows that. So the relevance of harrison as an overall solution is only by degree, not by kind. Meaning that an end to end piece of hardware (including high quality graphics drivers & GPU arch.) is a much rarer commodity, and a solution for our DAW (and perhaps visual) needs even more rare.

As for sticking with things, this is the first time I've considered to move Scope into the modern era as I know full well where we stand. But for me at least, it's time and the rewards are already on hand in that I can move forward.
pranza

Post by pranza »

IT WORKS WITH WINDOWS 11!

do this: https://www.techperiod.com/disable-sign ... ed-driver/

and then install the driver.

also, run scope.exe as administrator, as otherwise it won't be able to load some modules.

the same applies to windows 10...
valis

Post by valis »

Enabling Developer mode should do the same thing. If this was the only issue, then it's simply about submitting it and paying the fee (to MS for the cert) to update the driver.