"Cannot start software because board or driver..." displayed

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jjgoss

"Cannot start software because board or driver..." displayed

Post by jjgoss »

My Xite-1D was working fine for quite awhile, and I had problems with the HDMI cable on the PC end. It somehow got whacked
and really bent.

I did manage to install a new HDMI cable from the Xite-1D box to the Scope PC card connector. Nothing seemed damaged.

Now, when I try to bring up the Scope software, it displays an "Installation error" text in the upper left hand part of the popup window,
and says "Cannot start software because of board(s) or driver not properly installed. Please check installation."

And that is all that popup windows says. After I click on the "OK" button, another popup window appears
and says "Cannot start SCOPE" in the upper left corner, and the text "Cannot gain access to the SCOPE hardware!".

Once I click on the "OK" button in this window, SCOPE just shuts down and nothing more happens.

Are there some things that one usually needs to check when these error messages are displayed?

I really don't know where to start.

Many thanks to all you extremely SCOPE knowledgable people.

James Goss
jjgoss

Re: "Cannot start software because board or driver..." displayed

Post by jjgoss »

After reading my message from May 2019, it seems that the "not hot swappable" part of that is what the problem is.

I did not shut down and restart my PC with the Xite-1D powered on. Dumb me.

The first time I did this, the Scope software came up ok, but it displayed an error message about "DSP 5" not connecting or some such thing.
I could not repeat this error after exiting and restarting Scope again. It appears Scope and Xite-1D are working fine now.

THanks to any and all who read this and thought about what could be wrong. This is what we used call "Pilot error". 😏 (smirking face)

James Goss
valis

Post by valis »

PEBK is a known phenomenon :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:26 pm PEBK is a known phenomenon :)
You mean,- PEBKAC ???

:D

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

That's another (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), but PEBK is shorter to say imho (problem exists behind keyboard)
dante

Post by dante »

Same thing with Apollo. Its best to be turned on before PC started. In fact the x6 front panel LED shows initialization patterns, then makes 2 click noises (sounds like relay clicks) - then I start the PC. Difference with Apollo is that if its not detected on boot after this sequence, you can turn it off then on again with Windows still running and the Thunderbolt sequence will kick in.

So always XITE and Apollo turned off after PC closed down, and turned on before PC booted next session.