Reason 12 is almost here!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Sounddesigner

Re: Reason 12 is almost here!

Post by Sounddesigner »

I'll likely be upgrading within the next couple days since i need Hi-rez in order to efficiently use Reason as my DAW. I want tech-support to answer a few questions first even tho i'll be upgrading regardless of their answers, i just want to make sure i get the best upgrade path.

I have the Suite version of Reason 11 and need to know if there will be a Suite version of Reason 12, if so then i'll wait, if not then i'll buy now.

I also heard a rumour on Youtube wich said Reason Studios WILL be adding VST3 support soon to Reason 12. I emailed Reason Studios to get some type of verification as they reportedly stated this in a live blog.
I also had other minor concerns i emailed them about.

Reason has the same problems as every other young DAW has had in that it has to play catch-up and that can take many more years. Many people will be unhappy and frustrated with it for awhile and have many complaints and that's fair. Hopefully this pushes the company to address these concerns wich in some cases are seriouse (VST3 support is not a want but a need). Reaper and Studio One had to play catch-up for years as many stated their concerns. Right now there is complaints against UA's Luna as it can't do some very basic things.

I would not recommend a developer create a new DAW as they would start out MANY years behind as some DAWs have been around for like 30 years in development like most of the major ones e,g, Sonar, Protools, Cubase, etc. Some companies can pull it off like Reason Studios an UA as their DAWs have unique paradigms and they are well established companies with a large loyal userbase.

I know Reason Studios have a great product and i know they are on the right path, but it will take time as Reason is still a young DAW. Record was created about 10 years ago before they later scratched it out and migrated its features to Reason. I do believe RS is going in the right direction, hopefully they'll figure out how to speed things up.

I'm a minimalist so generally young DAWs don't bother me that much especially when the DAW still has some great things like Reason. I love how everything in Reason is centered around the modular rack and modular routing wich is all complimented well with Reason's many sequencer devices. I love the creative experiences i had in the past with Reason so i returned. Another big reason i returned was stability. Reason did not crash and i remembered that after many years at the Sonar crash-fest. When i worked in Reason i did not have to save my projects a gazillion times per session to protect my work and crashes were the last thing on my mind.

I'm slowly migrating from Sonar to Reason and eventually phase Sonar out completely. Reason will fully be my main DAW and Tracktion secondary DAW. RS are underdogs like S|C and i love rooting for the underdogs. My 2 cents.

EDITED
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:03 pm If the Mimic sampler were sold as a Rack Extension in the Propellerhead Shop it would sell easily for close to the upgrade price ($129 for me) alone. If you look at comparably priced rack extensions per ex:

. Expanse Hyperwave $149
. Synapse Antidote $139
. Reason Studio's own Parsec $119

Throw in High Res, more powerful combinator (other smaller point release fixes etc) ... its hard for me to get my head around how its not worth it.

Actually, cant wait to check out the new combi as well.
Well, I don´t use any REs except the former Phead freebies,- not 3rd party except one,- this cool additive synth which became freeware quite recently.
I forgot the name though.
The Mimic sampler ...
Even I don´t need any new samplers,- which sample formats does it import ?
I cannot imagine I´ll go back and start sampling, truncating and looping my own samples again.

IMO, since they discontinued ReWire, the most important upgrade would be the VST3 ReasonRack being usable the same way,- with multiple instruments on individual MIDI channels, individuable controlled by user assignable MIDI CCs, responding to MIDI program changes.
Better Combinator in addition.
Reason was always a 2nd row DAW for me,- a good supplier of stuff I don´t get from VST instead and in addition.

My Bitley refills and Exode´s final synth collection run in older Reason versions too and these also load VST2.4 plugins flawlessly.

All the "HiRez" s#it is obsolete,- for audio purposes, I´d work w/ a black-white version when it had all the features I´d want,- and that´s not many.

I cannot reward Reason Studios for stealing ReWire and don´t replace 100%+,- you know.
That´s exactly what they did and I like to call ´em idiots for this.

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Sounddesigner wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 am Right now there is complaints against UA's Luna as it can't do some very basic things.
Yeah like run on Windows FFS.
Sounddesigner wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 am I love the creative experiences i had in the past with Reason so i returned.
Reason has instant gratification creativity in spades. Especially with the UJam stuff.

BTW Here's what Selig made for his first Combinator 2 device :
Selig-Tape-Sim
Selig-Tape-Sim
seligs-tape-sim.jpg (100.81 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
And my first Combinator 2 device:
Dante Guitar Rig Combinator 2
Dante Guitar Rig Combinator 2
Dante Guitar Combi.jpg (188.89 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:18 am And actually, there´s no VST3 support for plugins, MIDI Prg.-Change commands don´t work, etc., etc. ...
Tracktion 7 handles all my plugins very well, VST2 and VST3.
VST3 support in Reason is slated for JAN 2022. In fact their next 5 month roadmap is here

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/road ... -map-blog_
Reason Studios Roadmap
Reason Studios Roadmap
reason-roadmap.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

In my age, I can wait w/ investments now and don´t give too much on promises needing years anymore.

I really hate, their VST3 ReasonRack device lacks MIDI multimode,- consequently NOT replacing ReWire.
Reason was never a DAW for me in 1st place, instead it always acted as a sound pool here.
I´d use the RSN VST3 Rack in other DAWs only when MIDI multimode ecxisted.

The workaround is using multiple instances of the rack, but it costs more CPU cycles.

Bud
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:04 pm
VST3 support in Reason is slated for JAN 2022.

This is great news! I know that a Youtuber reviewing R12 said that VST3 support was comming for R12 but when i emailed tech support they gave me no timeline and only stated that VST3 was on their to-do-list. It's great to not only know that it's comming but also when. I'm glad it is for R12 and not future versions.

RS has reeled in a lot of my money lately with R11 Suite, Algoritm, Friktion, Virtual Audience, and now R12. They are a mad scientist with a super monster in the makings. Reason will become more and more beastly as needs and wants are addressed. Reason is definitely a 'diamond in the rough' IMO.

The new hi-rez graphics are definitely a significant improvement for those of us with horrible vision.

PS. judging by the audio-demo's i heard the Ujam drums are pretty good.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

To all who use Reason, you may want to check your Account and see how many Rewards points you may have. Reason-Studios is doing Rewards points again and you can get a free plugin with them.
I had 74 Rewards points wich translate to $74 and it allowed me to get the new Vocoder wich is currently on sale for $49 for free.
dante

Post by dante »

Reason 12 sucks for me. I had to roll back to Reason 11 months ago. Way more stable.
valis

Post by valis »

Just did the upgrade to suite from my light (LE?) version, hopefully it's more stable for me. Thankfully I'll only use it as an ancillary tool, some of the rack gear appeals to me in tandem with the ability to cross modulate.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:22 pm Reason 12 sucks for me. I had to roll back to Reason 11 months ago. Way more stable.
I gave up on updating/upgrading RSN and use v10.4 and v11.x only,- on occasion.
I´m happy I didn´t invest too much and I didn´t buy any REs.

And I´m still pi##ed about RSN VST3 rackplugin not being MIDI multitimbral up to now and MIDI program changes not working in RSN at all.

On VST3, I give a s##t in general ´cause Steini decided for MIDI program changes being obsolete.

So, CLAP plugins https://u-he.com/community/clap/ will be the future !

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

I have Bitwig as well.

Reason still has some interesting bits, seems mostly stable here if I avoid vst's. Plenty of other hosts for that.

I also have way more crap than necessary for my current lack of output, but I did just get an Xite in the mail...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:07 am I did just get an Xite in the mail...
Congrats !

Bud
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:07 am
dante wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:22 pm Reason 12 sucks for me. I had to roll back to Reason 11 months ago. Way more stable.
And I´m still pi##ed about RSN VST3 rackplugin not being MIDI multitimbral up to now and MIDI program changes not working in RSN at all.

On VST3, I give a s##t in general ´cause Steini decided for MIDI program changes being obsolete.

So, CLAP plugins https://u-he.com/community/clap/ will be the future !

Bud
Yea, the Reason-Rack plugin's MIDI limitations along with a couple other things should have been corrected long ago. I'm hoping much is fixed the next upgrade. I'm willing to wait for all to be fixed cause i love the whole concept of Reason, but i could just possibly be some sort of massochist :P ..
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

valis wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:07 am I have Bitwig as well.

Reason still has some interesting bits, seems mostly stable here if I avoid vst's. Plenty of other hosts for that.

I also have way more crap than necessary for my current lack of output, but I did just get an Xite in the mail...
Congrats on the XITE-1. She definitely will add another dimension of power to your Native-computer rig for many years to come, if you don't mind me 'preaching to the Choir' :) . Welcome to the Juggernaught Club!
astroman

Post by astroman »

Another congrats to already receiving the Xite 8)
(just read about the plan in the other thread)
dante

Post by dante »

Congrats ++
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:57 am
Yea, the Reason-Rack plugin's MIDI limitations along with a couple other things should have been corrected long ago. I'm hoping much is fixed the next upgrade. I'm willing to wait for all to be fixed cause i love the whole concept of Reason, but i could just possibly be some sort of massochist :P ..
My problem is age and growing mobility issues.
I don´t have the time waiting for too long anymore,- may it be for Reason or SCOPE updates or whatelse.
And really,- according to reason I hate to pay for upgrades every time, expecting to get fixes also for the former version and then, there are new devices and new features I possibly don´t need and the old bugs are there in former and new version still,- new bugs in addition too.

It´s always the same,- w/ "featuritis" and MORE devices, they concentrate on sales, new customers and the subscription biz model,- then leave you in the dust w/ the old version.
My DAW is Win7 Pro SP1 x64 still and Reason 11.4.3 would be ideal when Reason Rack Plugin worked the way I imagine it should to replace ReWire.
But ReWire is still better and so I have to use RSN v10.4.
But that´s not I payed money for and they just only fix v12 which is the buggiest RSN since "Propellerhead" became "Reason Studios".
And it requires Win 10 x64, so I cannot install on my DAW,- just only on my 2.5GHz quad laptop.
And when I´d use it as my only DAW,- all the VST3 plugins were useless up today,- as also every time there´s an NI update of Massive X, I get issues w/ RSN11 nor recognizing and loading Massive X anymore, until RSN Studios and/or NI come up w/ a fix, which will never be announced and needs weeks or month to come.
At least, up to now it came for several times,- but I have no idea why they break already working things so often and why it just only happens w/ Massive X.

When Reason was made by Propellerhead, it was better.
They released a .0 version and not much later, w/ the .01 or .1 version it was stable and worked like it should.

When they began making it a so called "fully fletched" DAW,- what it isn´t to the full extend´til today,- the crap started.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:07 am
I gave up on updating/upgrading RSN and use v10.4 and v11.x only,- on occasion.
I´m happy I didn´t invest too much and I didn´t buy any REs.

Bud
I think its the hi-res stuff they put in V12 causing issues on my system. Wave tracks don't draw, there's no grid lines on cut wav parts, so you cant see where you have cut a wav into verse, chorus etc. And some crashes when doing midi track parameter automation etc.

Its the most disappointing thing for me since a Windows update caused DAS devices to crash.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:15 pm
I think its the hi-res stuff they put in V12 causing issues on my system. Wave tracks don't draw, there's no grid lines on cut wav parts, so you cant see where you have cut a wav into verse, chorus etc. And some crashes when doing midi track parameter automation etc.

Its the most disappointing thing for me since a Windows update caused DAS devices to crash.
It´s a known problem software developers use different libraries for resizable hi-rez GUIs unfortunately.
There´s no standard library for that purpose.
Some work perfect, others not so good and some not at all in some systems.

I´ve found out when Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II 64Bit introduced pops and clicks in Presonuns Studio One Pro v4 on my machine when it´s virtual keyboard, PB- and Mod- levers got animated.
Now I could deactivate keyboard animation, but unfortuunately not for the virtual levers,- so clicks and pops remained.
But no issue in Reaper or Reason in this case.

Similar issue w/ Full Bucket Music plugins when freely zooming the GUI by using the mouse.
I reported and now they offer serveral plugin versions.
Normal Win10 /11,- "N" version for Win7, the Mac versions and CLAP.
Toontrack leaves graphic artefacts of pulldown menues when mouse hoovering over "tabs" etc..
These stack until you close GUI and re-open to gwet rid off.

It´s a nitemare since "hi-rez" and "resitable" became a MUST.
Today, it seems to be more important than soundquality and perfect working useful audio/MIDI features.
Users don´t hear the music,- they watch it ... :lol:

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Or just like to complain that they can't use something in the way the latest & greatest all them they have to. We were here at the beginning of the slaving of musicians to the technology cycle, and it continues unabated.

My biggest issue still remains: Time