AMD 5600G & Asus B550

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

AMD 5600G & Asus B550

Post by dawman »

Got tired of waiting for all the right parts for a 1U so bought an open frame Chassis.
This allows me to see if the chipset actually works with Scope and only cost 1 large and change.

I already have cloned SSDs and an NVMe M.2 so my spare storage will save me another few hundred bones.
They’re the usual Samsung Pro SSD and Pro NVMe M.2.

I’ll run DAWBench once built because I run mostly Single Core synths and will try MultiCore with Kontakt and PTeq just to see if 6 cores can handle the mixed loads. My i7 4790k’s ran this stuff really well, and they’ll be spares.

Once I see B550 working I’ll buy the damn 525 dollar ASRock Rack B550 not due out until years end.

Here’s the machine that if I were to re purchase storage would be about 1400 bucks.

Cougar Enhance Open Frame Chassis
Asus B550
AMD 5600G w/ Arctic Liquid Freezer II
2 x 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600
Silverstone 500Watt PSU
Samsung 870 EVO 1 TB OS + Apps
Samsung 870 Pro 1 TB Samples
Samsung 950 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2 (STEAM Folder for Omnisphere)

valis

Re: AMD 5600G & Asus B550

Post by valis »

I'm interested in your experience here, I have an Asus ROG Strix B550-E here that came as part of a combo sale from Newegg.

I needed a new GPU during the price scalper era and the only way to avoid that was via twitter/telegram snipe bots or the newegg shuffle (raffle you enter daily in the morning). This is relevant because this also seemed like it was done to blow out existing stock out when the USB issues first hit for the Ryzen 5000 series boards, since the 'fix' was going to be a rev of either the CPU, motherboards, or both, and the BIOS (software) fix merely mitigates the issue and still potentially affects multi-device performance and sleep ability.

Anyway, while the 3000/5000 series and 400/500 gen boards were all affected, it seems most severe in the the top 5000 series AMD CPU SKU's--aka 5800X and so on--along with B550 and X570 boards. AMD claims to have addressed this on all boards but there's still reports of B550 based boards having USB disconnect issues, especially with the top AMD 5000 series CPU SKU's.

So... I had intended to move onward from my RME PCIe cards sometime this year, the units are getting less stable in tracking clock and 1 just failed. Elsewhere on these forums I've reported about my upgrade to a new studio clock, losing more than one of our PCI cards, and now an RME card with clocking issues. So I am musing about upgrading across the board to an Xite, RME Fireface UCX II, and a PCIe 4.x board that can also run some of my visuals in tandem with audio tasks.

Anyway, due to the USB issues I've been sitting on this Asus B550 board. I couldn't sell it for a price to make it worth it until it was patched, and now prices have dropped so I'd be basically selling it at a cut rate just because I'm not using it. If one of the integrated AMD chips sidesteps the issue entirely, that would be very good news. While they top out at 8 cores, the TDP of 65W and integrated GPU for encoding purposes is very appealing.
dawman

Post by dawman »

FWIW B550 boards were showing out of stock the same day the CPUs went out of stock, which was the day they went on sale.

In case the B550 isn’t compatible I will use the USB disconnect excuse to return everything, Ankyu.

I hope it works. If it doesn’t my spare i7 4790 rig awaits.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:30 am
i7 4790 rig
It´s still the best I´ve ever had up to now.
I still use w/ XITE-1.
Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit.

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:51 am
dawman wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:30 am
i7 4790 rig
It´s still the best I´ve ever had up to now.
I still use w/ XITE-1.
Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit.

:)

Bud

#MeToo

But expanded my Bidule project window by multiple instances of Kontakt x 2, Keyscape x 2 and Omnisphere x 1, 1 x PianoTeq.
So 6 cores, all with an increase of 30% in single core/IPC power just might do the trick.

I still have 2 x 1U i7 4790k rigs.
If AMD works out I’ll get the 1U ASRock Rack boards and a 5700G.
Having this open frame tower is the cheapest way to test out new CPU’s and motherboards.
Might even try M$oft Windows 11 as the new boards all have the TPM modules.