re-flash NOAH EX

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Re: re-flash NOAH EX

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:18 am Noahs and ASBs do not always report the firmware version correctly.
Thx for this info,- so what´s crucial ?

I guess his is (much) higher firmware not only because of the number/date,- it´s also because when he got his NOAH EX new as 1st owner, his orig. installation CD was/is v.1.1 already AND his NOAH EX offers the "Windows" setting in "System" > "Device" > USBcom menue.
He never updated/upgraded anything.

I have his orig. installation CD) and a pic of his NOAH EX´s system display screen (which is not on my laptop I type from actually), but I can make evident later if necessary.

Anyway, w/ his firmware and v1.1 CD, he was able installing drivers and Remote Editor Software in minutes by using the above mentioned "Windows" setting.

So, I hope to get that requred setting option, essential for v1.1 drivers and software, w/ a firmware upgrade (using the files from S|C server).

We´ll see next days ...

:)

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

mk_vip wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:35 am I confirm that XP SP3 works fine with NOAH. ... try to install drivers and software v 1.0 (to make a successful firmware upgrade).
Thx for that advice !
Using another WinXP SP3 machine today, driver installation and installation of Noah Remote Editor v1.0 worked.
The basis for all the other tasks following next days.

But,- when I launch the editor, it doesn´t show all the devices already working w/ NOAH EX standalone, even when I "synchronize".
I´ll read in the manual later ... :wink:

Bud
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Right bud, where are we? From what I'm reading you've successfully installed the drivers. Have you got the Flashtool to upgrade the firmware?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

brookesy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:55 pm Right bud, where are we? From what I'm reading you've successfully installed the drivers. Have you got the Flashtool to upgrade the firmware?
Yes, v1.0 drivers and v1.0 editor installed successfully.
I downloaded everything available from S|C server, flashtool included and I´ve burned a v1.1 driver/ editor CD.

In theory, I´m able to move on ... but have the impression I better re-read everything info and the v1.0 editor´s manual.

Maybe it makes sense to backup the entire NOAH EX as it actually is,- using "backup IF" and before trying a re-flash/firmware upgrade ?

Anyway,- 1st I´ll have breakfast now and some time in the yard.
Actually brilliant weather, but it will get hotter later which is the time to begin w/ firmware upgrade etc..
11:15h here,- I guess I´m near my gear in 3 - 4 hrs.

Bud
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

It looks like you have everything in hand.
Do you have all the other synths installed eg. Prophet, Prodyssey etc.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

brookesy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:33 am It looks like you have everything in hand.
Do you have all the other synths installed eg. Prophet, Prodyssey etc.
No, not yet.

With the actual firmware my NOAH EX came with:

Interpole, Vocodizer, B-2003, Minimax, ProOne, Vectron P, Lightwave and Sixstring.

It works and plays well, except Sixstring can make occasional problems, at least w/ my Yamaha KX-5 connected,- the only MIDI keyboard in the world transmitting MIDI active sensing every 50ms (vs ~ 300ms).

That´s the NOAH hardware,- but in v1.0 editor, I don´t see anything above activated, red crosses everywhere instead.
I wonder if I have to install all the devices on the computer in addition too,- so I HAVE to red something.

I´m new to NOAH editor and have no clue what to do 1st ...
That´s why I said I better read the editor´s manual again and before doing any other,- no ?

I´m away from computer for some time now and be back later.

thx for all your help and input !!!

Bud
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Did support give you the .rgy file with the authorization for all devices. You have install the optional synths separately.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

brookesy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:22 am Did support give you the .rgy file with the authorization for all devices. You have install the optional synths separately.
I have single keys for all devices incl. Prodyssey and Profit-5 in email/textform,- no .rgy-file.
there was nothing attched to S|C´s email.

I wonder how to make a .rgy-file from that.

I guess I can save the in NOAH EX internal flash memory existing activations using the editor,- no ?
That should be a .rgy-file ... yes/no ?
Once saved to computer,- I´d be able to open w/ Windows editor and add the keys from S|C support email.
Would that work ?

I´m now out in the yard w/ the NOAH EX printed manual and will read about devices installation.
NOAH isn´t SCOPE v7 which I have on Win7 machines,- so I have to learn.

I´m back when it´s too hot outside ...

Bud
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Have you upgraded the firmware to the last version, 1.1xxxxx can't remember from the top of my head.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

brookesy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:32 am Have you upgraded the firmware to the last version, 1.1xxxxx can't remember from the top of my head.
No,- I gave up yesterday afternoon because I was unable to concentrate.
I´m ill and prefer watching TV or sleep.
I´ll come back when I feel better.

I hope I didn´t catch the delta variant of corona.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you did, there's a 99% chance that you will live.
get rest, keep hydrated, take care!
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Second, what Gary said. Take care and we'll resume when your fighting fit again.
PS. Hope you have some good box sets, nothing good on telly 😌
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Hi,- I´m back.
Thx Gary and brookesy !

I prepared the old XP P4 machine for better performance and usage w/ NOAH also later and will try to re-flash NOAH this afternoon.

@Gary:
Is it perhaps possible to get a complete allkeys/ .rgy - file for NOAH EX or do I have to enter keys one-by one later anyway ?
I got new keys in an email,- strings of numbers and letters for each single device etc. ...
No .rgy - file attached by whatever reason.

I opened the previous owner´s .rgy file after I was able to backup the internal flash content, but recognized it´s cryptic vs a SCOPE 4 - 7 keyfile for PCI or XITE.
So I don´t think I have a chance using it for adding new keys and/or overwrite old w/ new keys and then use the file for activation in one go.

.rgy - file would be less work though once NOah is re-flashed and upodated to editor version v1.1 incl. updated drivers.

Nonetheless I can imagine I´ll have to use v1.1 editor to enter keys one-by-one later then swap all over to NOAH.

I´ll have lunch now, then go upstairs, do it and come back w/ info about success or at which point I´m (possibly) stuck.

O.T.:
I´m already back since yesterday afternoon, seems I have a very good immune system.
Saturday evening and sunday was headache, fever and a bit of ague.
I sweat w/ hurt in all muscles and joints and decided to stay in bed ´, had lots of mineral water, ginger-tea and a mix of fresh pure ginger, garlic, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, radish, olive oil and extra hot mexican jalapeno sauce.
When I got up monday noon, all was gone.

anyway ...

´til later

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

just use the rgy file the previous owner gave you, and then use the individual keys for anything not included in the original rgy.

normally, it would be no problem to provide the text file, but the keyserver is down. individual keys is the best that we can do, at this very moment.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:33 am just use the rgy file the previous owner gave you, and then use the individual keys for anything not included in the original rgy.

normally, it would be no problem to provide the text file, but the keyserver is down. individual keys is the best that we can do, at this very moment.
O.k., I understand, thank you !

Results in next post and in a minute ...

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

More results:

I now have system version 1.4.23, 2003-10-16 so that worked successful because I can see the following devices in NOAH EX´s display when I scroll thru ´em and in the following sequential order:
B-2003 / Interpole / Lightwave / Minimax / / ProOne / Sixstring / VectronP / Vocodizer / Eds8i / Prodyssey

With NOAH EX in miniOS mode the Flashbox .exe from S|C server already requested the latest Noah Synth and USB driver,- so I installed the drivers from v1.1 installation CD before updating the editor app and re-flased,- which worked.

Now,- when I select any device from the list above using NOAH EX´s local display and rotary encoder, I get the message "not registered,- please enter activation key".
That´s what I expected,- but I have no clue how to enter these keys from frontpanel,- so I tried to update the editor application, which surprisingly doesn´t work even I now have higher OS version w/ the required "Windows" USBcom setting activated and already updated Noah Synth and USB drivers.
I don´t know if the ASIO driver is installed already and have no clue where to search for.
I don´t see anything NOAH audio driver in devicemanager > audio- and game controllers at all

When I shut down the computer, power up again and wait until Windows is loaded completely, then connect NOAH EX via USB cable and power up NOAH,- all w/v1.1 installation CD already inserted,- nothing happens because Noah Synth and USB drivers already exist.
When I double-click the v1.1 setup .exe expecting it will update editor v1.0 to v1.1 I only get 2 messages:

1.)
d:/app/script/App/simpleApp.pep
Cannot load library script .dll

I can only click O.K. and get ...

2.)
Cannot find DLL or Script File
CLASS 'App@SimpleApp' File"

d:/ is the optical drive on the/my computer and Noah EX v1.1 intallation CD is inserted

I dunno what all that means and when I click O.K. again,- which is the only option,- the v1.1 Setup application doesn´t launch.

AND,- regardless of that behaviour,- the v1.0 NoahRemoteEditor software doesn´t synchronize w/ NOAH EX at all,- same what it did before.

I guess I need a working v1.1 editor and sychronizer/registry functionality to enter activation keys, regardless if it is the complete fileor single keys,- right ?
So actually I´m also not able to use the former owner´s .rgy file.

Shall I try de-installation of v1.0 editor and install v.1.1 editor all new,- or is there a way finding the files mentioned in messages (see above 1.) & 2.) ) and put ´em into the right places ?

any advice welcome,-

thx in advance

Bud
mk_vip

Post by mk_vip »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:25 am I guess I need a working v1.1 editor and sychronizer/registry functionality to enter activation keys, regardless if it is the complete fileor single keys,- right ?
Yes. The device is activated from the NOAH software. Just need to enter keys one by one (if you have no keyfile).
Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:25 am When I shut down the computer, power up again and wait until Windows is loaded completely, then connect NOAH EX via USB cable and power up NOAH,- all w/v1.1 installation CD already inserted,- nothing happens because Noah Synth and USB drivers already exist.
When I double-click the v1.1 setup .exe expecting it will update editor v1.0 to v1.1 I only get 2 messages:
If you have installed the device driver from version 1.0 of the Noah software, then only version 1.0 of the software can be installed.
If you want to install Noah v1.1 software, you should update your installed driver with v1.1 device driver.
And only after that, you can install v1.1 software.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

mk_vip wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:03 am Yes. The device is activated from the NOAH software. Just need to enter keys one by one (if you have no keyfile).
Thx,- that´s what I thought too ...
Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:25 am When I shut down the computer, power up again and wait until Windows is loaded completely, then connect NOAH EX via USB cable and power up NOAH,- all w/v1.1 installation CD already inserted,- nothing happens because Noah Synth and USB drivers already exist.
mk_vip wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:03 am If you have installed the device driver from version 1.0 of the Noah software, then only version 1.0 of the software can be installed.
If you want to install Noah v1.1 software, you should update your installed driver with v1.1 device driver.
And only after that, you can install v1.1 software.
The existing drivers ARE the v1.1 drivers,- that´s why NOAH Remote Editor software doesn´t work/ communicate w/ NOAH EX anymore now.

What I see in device manager tree is now:

USB icon > CreamWare NOAH Device
> CreamWareNOAH Synthesizer > properties: CreamWare GmbH version 1.2.1.8 Copyright (c) CreamWare GmbH 2003
driver not digitally signed
driver details: cwusb.sys

>Creamware NOAH Midi
driver details, 1st entry: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\cwusbio.sys

in front of these both the the driver detail entries, there are powder blue colored square icons,- no green "checkbox" hooks like in other entries of the list.
I dunno if that matters, but at least up to now and in NOAH Remote Editor v1.0, the USB online status LED in Live Bar kept dark.
When I go to the main driver property page/screen in device manager,- both the actually installed drivers are reported as loaded and working.

These WERE installed from v1.1 CD because already Flashbox failed flashing NOAH EX w/ v1.0 drivers installed and w/ the message "Warning using older usb driver" (or similar).

I now uninstalled the NOAH v1.0 Remote Editor Software and I´ll see what happens now,- in the hope v1.1 editor will install now ...

Can it be I´ll have to uninstall all drivers and re-install,- then install v1.1 editor ?

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

O.k., I installed drivers all new and now have the right ones working ...

mini-NOAH EX v1.1 drivers work.jpg
mini-NOAH EX v1.1 drivers work.jpg (105.38 KiB) Viewed 14486 times

...and NOAH EX hardware system version 1.4.23, 2003-10-16 including:
B-2003 / Interpole / Lightwave / Minimax / / ProOne / Sixstring / VectronP / Vocodizer / Eds8i / Prodyssey

but still cannot install NOAH RemoteEditor Software v1.1 because of this behaviour when launching the installer from v1.1 installation disc ...

mini-NOAH RemEd v1.1 install fail_1.jpg
mini-NOAH RemEd v1.1 install fail_1.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 14486 times
mini-NOAH RemEd v1.1 install fail_2.jpg
mini-NOAH RemEd v1.1 install fail_2.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 14486 times

now I´m perplexed because all the other ran smooth more or less and driver installation from same installation disc worked flawlessly ...

Where can I find this "simpleApp" (.pep) script s##t and where on the computer should it be placed/located if not on the CD ???

I´ll have some dinner and be back later.

thx for help !!!

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

I´ve found what it is ...

The file "simpleApp.pep" exists in each of the installer packs,- v1.0 and v1.1 downloads from S|C server as also on the original installer CD v1.1 I got from my buddy and made a .iso from.

These 3 files have the same size,- but different date each.

So, WHEN NOAH hardware system is somewhat v1.0.xx xy-xy-2003 and the USBcom settings options are only "Default" / "nonDefault",- v1.0 drivers and editor should be installed 1st.
Then reflash NOAH to higher/latest OS and if that was successful and "system > device > USBcom" setting options now are "Windows" / "Mac-Linux",- uninstall v1.0 and install v1.1 drivers all new to make sure NOAH will comunicate flawlessly via USB w/ the v1.1 editor installer pack,- then install v1.1 NOAH Remote Editor by using ONLY the v1.1 installer pack from S|C server because ONLY THIS has the youngest "simpleApp.pep" file working correctly once NOAH (EX) OS is system version 1.4.23, 2003-10-16.

That´s insane but true,- at least for my NOAH EX ! The original installer CD and .iso both failed even they are v1.1 too.

So, it´s done except I have to enter keys one by one again today.
Something went wrong w/ the previous owners .rgy because NOAH still asked for keys for devices which were previously installed already.
But can be it was my fault too because it was late.

When done, it leaves 2 tasks:

1.)
I want to delete/ swap the EDs8i (drums) for the Profit-5
2.)
When EDs8i is removed to free flash memory, I have to find out how to install Profit-5 incl. the additional files (.zip) and how to get additional devices over from cvomputer to NOAH EX.

I hope it´s all well documented in NOAH EX manual/ Editor manual.
If not, I´ll come back and ask ...

When it´s been finished today, I´m pretty sure it will be a very nice and useful machine for me.

I thank S|C support and all here @PlanetZ for their great help and input !!!

Bud