What USB DAC's work with A16 ultra via adat?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

maakbowie

What USB DAC's work with A16 ultra via adat?

Post by maakbowie »

Hi. I have been away from recording for a long while - over a decade. I used to run a creamware Luna Ii and zlink adapter via PCI to the A16 ultra.

I still have all of these but cannot get Luna working with current PC. I think it's best in my situation to maybe go for another system (sorry I did love scope back in the day).

Are there any simple 2 channel fairly budget USB dac's that I can connect to my A16 Ultra. It has adat via FireWire and I think optical. Are these still used. Is adat compatibility still a thing?

Been away so long I don't really know this industry anymore.

Does anyone still use or want luna II with zlink?
garyb

Re: What USB DAC's work with A16 ultra via adat?

Post by garyb »

there is no firewire on the A16 Ulra. connecting to firewire will probably cause damage. the firewire connection is Z-Link, which is proprietary.
a dac converts digital to analog, which is the A16's job. the A16 is both dac and adc. any soundcard that has ADAT can be used with the A16.
maakbowie

Post by maakbowie »

Thanks. Yep sorry the zlink just looks like FireWire...

Is adat compatibility an ongoing thing? Searching I find lots of discontinued products?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:54 pm any soundcard that has ADAT can be used with the A16.
for full potential,- 2 pairs of ADAT In and Out.
Only 8 channels w/ single ADAT I/O,- p.ex. in combination w/ RME AiO.

:wink:

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

maakbowie wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:53 pm Are there any simple 2 channel fairly budget USB dac's that I can connect to my A16 Ultra. It has adat via FireWire and I think optical. Are these still used. Is adat compatibility still a thing?
1) Zoom UAC8
2) RME Digiface USB
3) Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
4) Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB

All USB with Optical ADAT input, all current. I'm sure theres more. I have the Zoom UAC8 - awesome piece of 1U kit. Not sure if you'd call em 'budget' though....

For budget, maybe this :-

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box
astroman

Post by astroman »

Adat is a plain hardware protocol that manages transfer via optical connection between devices.
It can be interfaced in many ways to a computer system: PCI(e) card, USB, Firewire, or whatever.
This (software) interface part may change over the years and leave some gear unspported in some OS versions, but there‘s usually an alternative by another brand.

Adat is great for low latency connections between otherwise incompatible operating systems.
It connects my iPad (Audient ID22) to a MacOS9 ProTools (Adat Bridge) and a Windoze Scope (A16) simultanously.
(of course Scope and PT can „talk“ to each other, too)