Sound breaking - new series on UK tv Sky Arts channel about recording

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

Sound breaking - new series on UK tv Sky Arts channel about recording

Post by t_tangent »

For those members who live in UK, a new series starts tonight Friday 19th Feb on Sky Arts channel on freeview tv
8pm

Episode 1 The Recording Artist

Might be of interest and possibly some useful insights :)
t_tangent

Re: Sound breaking - new series on UK tv Sky Arts channel about recording

Post by t_tangent »

Yes, occasionally there are the odd good music related programs on tv here. This first episode had a few interesting insights, focused more on the role of the producer in terms of coaxing out the best in the artist, basically just being a good listener and adding input when required. I liked the last part where Rick Rubin talks about working with Johnny Cash after his long break from recording, building up his confidence again and just letting JC get comfortable and do his thing
Will see how the next episode goes. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Great.
Johnny Cash has a recording using a Drum Machine and just him playing & singing. Amazing how I could listen to the whole series of songs/sketches once I started.

I like hearing about certain engineers tricks with live sound so I watch Jerry Harvey’s IG page sometimes when they’re just chatting.
Mostly interested in separation by slight panning, or how once levels are set, don’t touch channel faders or mains, but rather boost the gain on the Overall EQ, be it hardware or DSP.

Have Fun
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

That Johnny Cash album sounds interesting, will have to look that one up.
I'll also check out Jerry Harvey's page, sounds like there are some great tips to be had there. A friend of mine who used to be an engineer at Virgin records The Manor Studio has also recommended me to watch "David Foster Off the Record", so I must try and get hold of that sometime. Even if I pick up just a couple of tips it's still interesting to see how these experienced guys do things. :)