How many of you use several scope PC at the same time?

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

How many of you use several scope PC at the same time?

Post by spacef »

And if yes, what do you use it for ?

I have my old scope in an old pc that is currently not plugged.
I do use it occasionally (when it is plugged) to use 3 or 4 extra scope synths. I record the synths in that pc, on reaper, then move the file to the main PC with a usb key or hard drive.
Last edited by spacef on Tue May 25, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
yayajohn

Re: How many of you use several scope PS at the same time?

Post by yayajohn »

Medhi, I have an Xite-1 on main DAW/Reaper computer. On an older Win10 32bit computer I have my PCI cards with an ADAT to/from the Xite.
I use the PCI computer mostly for the Zarg synths, STS Samplers, and other legacy devices that don’t work so well on the Xite/64 bit.
Also for extra in/outs
I am very happy with this setup.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

I have a second computer so I can use Zarg and other things that don't play with 64 bit OS.
It's idle right now because its motherboard has a problem, holding out for Scope 7.1 in hope that the fixes let me do it all in one machine again. I'd rather spend with SonicCore than put more money into my oldest computer.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

I use Xite-1 on the main computer and 2 vintage computers running Windows XP with mixed Scope and Pulsar cards. I control them over remote desktop to avoid using additional displays and as remote software i'm using Radmin which is the one that is very lightweight and at the same time it allows for fast refresh rate and I can see level meters moving almost like on the local display. Both Scope systems are connected via ADAT and AES/EBU to the Xite-1 and MIDI is done over network with RTP MIDI. I use it mainly for synthesis, Zarg stuff, modular and some custom device. Even though it looks unpractical for today's producers, it's a pleasure to add the Scope touch in 2021 and it sounds very good.
valis

Post by valis »

I use my Scope cards in the same 2001/Prestonia era Dual xeon that I've had scope on since bringing a Scope card home. My first Scope experience was using the cards in the streaming TV bay at Play.tv way back in 1999-2001, before the company folded and became partially owned by outside sources (chinese) and morphed into something called Globalstreams.

In any case, I'm still rocking XP32 on that box. I have considered migrating it to one of the numerous 2008 era motherboards I have lying around, but the computer itself is so easily resurrected that I have yet to invest the time into that. It's connected to 3 other machines using RME Multiface (PCIe/HDSPe connected) via ADAT & AES or SPdif, and of course via midi. I also use rtpmidi from time to time, but I rarely host softsynths in that machine any longer aside from the occasional bram bros. or NI Generator patch in bidule.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I have Xite and Scope14+6 in different PCs, side by side and connected by Adat and Midi.
Typically my projects don't exceed the limits of Xite, but it would work perfectly as a team.
Both machines run Win7/32 with PAE-patch (16GB).
Unfortunately later DAW force me to use 64Bit OS some day.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I have a similar setup to yayajohn above.
XITE on win10 64bit PC and pci cards in a win 10 32bit older machine.
Mostly I work only on XITE, but occasionally send midi to the second machine to run extra SCOPE synths, samplers and sometimes extra Kontakt patches.
The synths are piped back to the XITE via ADAT and recorded as audio tracks into the sequencer.
I find there is some latency with this setup, but it is not difficult to nudge the tracks into sync during mixing.
I also use the second PC to assure new sdk devices work on pci cards as well as on XITE.
maus
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

Besides my Win7/Xite-1 main setup, I have a separate 15DSP PCI/Windows Me rig. It's rock solid except for a blue screen now and then :) The main purpose of it is to run Osiris XP to do near real time reduction of all the hiss/noise from my analog synths, modular stuff etc.
dawman

Post by dawman »

What a great idea using Osiris XP for noise reduction.
borg

Post by borg »

Xite Knight v2.0 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:47 am The main purpose of it is to run Osiris XP to do near real time reduction of all the hiss/noise from my analog synths, modular stuff etc.
funny, I always add noise. plugins with noise parameter (ableton live's Echo is nice), in some cases I even have a dedicated track for just background noise.
If your running 36 live inputs through 20 year old behringer convertors, I can imagine the noise might become too much, especially if you have old stuff like Yamaha SPX90 or the like.
But if it works for you... I have an Osiris key for one of the PCI cards but never used it. (btw, back OT: I have an XITE1D with 2 Scopes and a PulsarII in the same WinXP32 machine as an aux machine to a Macbook/RME setup. If the Mac dies, I'll probably make Scope more prominent again, preferably laptop, or at most a 1HE rack thingie.)
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

Well, mainly when I do some experimental stuff with very long analog 'audio chains', signal loss, reamplification, noise build-up etc., Osiris comes in handy (I work completely DAWless in the 'creative phase')
spacef

Post by spacef »

really cool overview :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website