Intel W480 Chips For Scope

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Intel W480 Chips For Scope

Post by dawman »

I had issues with C236 Xeon chipset and went with consumer H97 as my spare, which I’m using right now.
Need a new spare and want the Xeon 1250P chipset.

Only problem is I’ve no knowledge of anyone using the W480 with Scope.

Please chime in.
Bud Weiser

Re: Intel W480 Chips For Scope

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:49 pm I had issues with C236 Xeon chipset and went with consumer H97 as my spare, which I’m using right now.
Need a new spare and want the Xeon 1250P chipset.

Only problem is I’ve no knowledge of anyone using the W480 with Scope.

Please chime in.
Well, I fear you´ll be the 1st one using this combo when deciding for.
I don´t know anyone using W480 chipset and XEON 1250P processor for the time being.

I´ve read a german test of such AsRock mobo, running the smaller 3.2GHz processor yesterday, but that wasn´t audio/MIDI (or SCOPE) specific at all.
But looks great from specs.
https://www.ocinside.de/test/mainboard_ ... creator_d/

It´s pricey,- so they mentioned AsRock Z490 "Steel Legend" as an alternative.
https://www.ocinside.de/test/mainboard_ ... _legend_d/

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

Bill Goldstein(Fame, etc) used the scalable Xeon pretty successfully. i don't remember the exact model.
dante

Post by dante »

@Dawman I thought you were looking at an AMD / Ryzen combo - has that concept bitten the dust ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

garyb wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:02 am Bill Goldstein(Fame, etc) used the scalable Xeon pretty successfully. i don't remember the exact model.
Well you’re going to build this right?
See if you can find out if he used the W series, that would be most helpful.

Thanks Cheif
dawman

Post by dawman »

dante wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:22 pm @Dawman I thought you were looking at an AMD / Ryzen combo - has that concept bitten the dust ?
Tired of hearing about UAD users issues, and tired of getting excited to see chips going to OEMs or scalpers.
If you can’t get your chips onto the shelves in a timely fashion, there’s always some other high end “dated” parts that are selling for cheap.

2 years ago that mobo/cpu combo would’ve been 8/900 bucks.
I like 500 much better, plus I need more fires, just not 8 of them as the Watts will increase too much for me .

I’ll get AMD in a couple years when they’re sitting on a shelf.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Bill's was a little while ago. he went dual processor Supermicro X11DAi-N (Intel® C621 chipset) Two Intel Xeon Silver 4110 8Core 2.1GHz Processor. it worked just fine. the chances are that the current XEONs will also work.
dawman

Post by dawman »

garyb wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:55 pm Bill's was a little while ago. he went dual processor Supermicro X11DAi-N (Intel® C621 chipset) Two Intel Xeon Silver 4110 8Core 2.1GHz Processor. it worked just fine. the chances are that the current XEONs will also work.

Cool. Might be calling you soon.
I’m without a spare for the first time in 15 years.
Damn chip makers leak out designs that makes you want to wait until they release them, but even on my i7 4790k layering PianoTeq w/ 2 layers of Omnisphere & Keyscape I’m hitting 25/30%. So having the fastest just isn’t as appealing if you can’t get the chips when you need them.

1250P is cheaper, has six high binned cores since it’s a Xeon.
And sure as hell doesn’t need hundreds of watts to run.

Thanks again, chat soon Brotha man.
dante

Post by dante »

Comparing to i9 9900

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au ... -9900.html

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au ... EON%204110

What advantage the Xeon ? Consumes more power and supports more RAM. But what advantage for music ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

the real advantage is reliability.
XEONs are the most error-free wafers. they are expected to run 24/7 without failure or error(as much as possible).
other than that, it depends on the software. benchmarks aren't that useful, except to get a ballpark estimation. they're for the games that the benchmarks are designed for. within a performance range, it's probably 6 of one...

most choices are good these days.
dante

Post by dante »

Reliability- that figures as long as the rest of the build is server strength 👍

Would improved cooling extend the life of PSU ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure!
valis

Post by valis »

As does using a PSU that has better control when not under full load (voltage clamping when changing P-states etc). The other thing that helps longevity temperature wise is having constant temps and avoiding the lowest power states on devices, which is becoming harder to do (and more costly due to rising costs of electricity).
dawman

Post by dawman »

My first PCs were consumer grade peasant parts and never crashed on the gig.
I gave each PC 2 years before turning it into a spare, and rehearsed on spares which usually in the 3rd year the motherboard croaked.

It’s why I went to server grade parts.

Never had to with the CPU but I don’t want these 8 core global warming/earth killing CPUs with 8/10/12 and 16 cores.
I even walk around flipping off lights left on by Climate Change activist family members.
dawman

Post by dawman »

garyb wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 pm XEONs are the most error-free wafers. they are expected to run 24/7 without failure or error(as much as possible).
other than that, it depends on the software.
Speaking of the software.

A quote from a tech forum member about system latency who points out how most software measures instructions in milliseconds/seconds, while the system sub memory like shared cache in CPU cores, and cache to DRAM operates in nano/micro seconds.

“One of the issues though with this technology is that sometimes the adjustments in frequency can be so fast, software cannot detect them. If the frequency is changing on the order of microseconds, but your software is only probing frequency in milliseconds (or seconds), then quick changes will be missed. Not only that, as an observer probing the frequency, you could be affecting the actual turbo performance. When the CPU is changing frequency, it essentially has to pause all compute while it aligns the frequency rate of the whole core.”

In other words as cores increase, software designs struggle to accept more cores like Cubase couldn’t access more than 8 cores at first, but now can access 16-32 threads. But even then DAWBench/Vinnie had to remake his benchmarking tests as software folks not only get swamped making new OS Drivers, they now chase cores around, still using milliseconds/seconds in their instruction sets.

No more than 6 cores for me.
I like hearing my notes when I hit them.
If I want Delay I’ll use Celmos Tape Echo.
Ankyu
valis

Post by valis »

This controls the granularity of the hardware scheduling and software must be written to the right timer as well, which is why we were setting systems back to RTC (instead of HPET) in the BIOS back in that era and finding performance issues resolved.

This is also why we set min processor usage profiles wherever we can to 100%, meaning keep all resources as available as possible. When a deep sleep state is reached and a core is powered down, there's a massive hit to latency in bringing it back online and anything attached is flushed and refilled so that it's addressable to that core. And clearly there's a hit when changing many P-states, cue reports of performance being 'awful' with a balanced power profile on a laptop user who is only using 5% of their cpu and wondering why there's so many crackles with an expensive ASIO driven interface...
dawman

Post by dawman »

That’s why I even crank my fans to 12k.
Sure they’re loud, but it’s a stage rig. But even having the CPU / BIOS automate the rpm level in relevance to the temperature is just more crap that needs to be eliminated.

Looking forward to another loud build. :D