Pcie x1 video card

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Pcie x1 video card

Post by Music Manic »

Hi guys

Would using a PCIe x1 video card interfere with a 3 PCI setup on my Intel DP35DP Mobo?

Could I use it with a PCIe x16 video card also to have more monitors?
Would it create any performance problems?

Also would a PCIe to A SATA III adapter speed up read and writes on the Intel DP35DP?

Thanks
dawman

Re: Pcie x1 video card

Post by dawman »

SSDs are fine, NVMe won’t do much better, not enough to justify added expenses of the adapters, which lock you down to PCI 2x speeds anyway.
Use the 16X for accessing 3 x monitors.
Lots of cards out there.
PCI-e 1X is good for audio, not much else.
valis

Post by valis »

Core2 era board, the limiting factor is the fact that your chipset provides all PCIe lanes to the CPU, and the bus bandwidth is shared across all devices.

Also APIC 2.0 era, which means that IRQs are still not fully virtualized, so you also have to consider slot sharing issues when expanding peripheral i/o to the limits (ie, what will end up sharing with your Scope cards?).

This won't be so easily determined, though if you're under Win10 it's easier to look at the shared resources & conflicts by opening System Information & looking at Hardware Resources > Conflicts/Sharing and the other subsections alongside that.

dawman is correct in regards to NVME on that era of board, it will likely swamp your system bus with traffic and unless you're pushing 8K video or massive projects with orchestral libraries, isn't strictly necessary for our workflows. SATA could be improved with SATA III, however again the gains have to be weighed against the cost to your system overall, and I have found on a similar era system that a modern SSD even working at half its throughput is still an improvement over the first few generations of SSDs (available in that era), not to mention spinning HD's of course. If you're not on Win7/10 then partition alignment is a concern...

Modern GPU's can do at least 3 monitors with GPU accelleration (which most software uses now), and the higher end cards can now do 4. The problem here often comes in what outputs are allowed to be used simultaniously, and for what. Quadro's and Radeon Pro's sidestep this issue, and often give you configurations like all displayport with no DVI/HDMI or etc to simplify connection issues (HDMI often shares with DVI or a displayport, or both, on consumer cards). I just purchased a $120 GTX 1050 low power single slot card which can easily do 3 monitors and offers enough performance for moderate 1080p and like 1440p/4k gaming (which it won't be used for), though in my case it was to cut power usage in a computer of that same era rather than to achieve more outputs.
garyb

Post by garyb »

just use a PCIe 16x card. a cheap card is fine.