Possible fix for STS 5000 BSOD?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kennek4

Possible fix for STS 5000 BSOD?

Post by kennek4 »

Hey everyone, I have been beating my head against the wall, trying to get the STS5000 to work, and may have set a new record, for re-booting windows in a day!!! LOL

I read about the ASIO Hot Dog Bun (hey,it's a good wrapper analogy) and I started thinking about the whole windows 10 audio card conflicts, and after a google of restarts, and different combinations of card arrays (lets permeutate!) I simply de activated all of the Scope cards in Windows 10 64bit sound settings, and re-booted.....again,....a google, plus 1...I'm not typing that out!! LOL!

Guess what! I opened Scope V7 and as soon as the startup project loaded, I clicked the dreaded STS5000 kiss of death, daring it to crash, and to my amazement, IT DIDN'T!!! (perhaps the mean mug fixed it?)

This has to be a fantasy, because it's WAY too simple of a solution, to be considered genius, but I'm looking at STS5000, and I think it just smiled at me!! Then I closed and re-opened the app, and WINK...there it is again!!! I've only seen pictures of it, until now!!!

Cheers!

Kennek4
Last edited by kennek4 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Re: Possible fix for STS 5000 BSOD?

Post by dante »

Great Stuff ! How about a step by step set of instructions so others can try it out as well ? To verify and potentially use.
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

OK, Here's the procedure for Windows 10 64 bit.

1: click the settings tab (gear icon)

2:Choose System

3:Choose Sound

4:Set output to anything besides Sonic Core PCI (built in sound card, for example)

5:Just below the "troubleshoot" tab, click "manage sound devices"

6:Click on each instance of Sonic Core hardware, and choose disable.

7:New Boots(re-boot) LOL

8: Open Scope V7, and HOPEFULLY you too (not U2, they aren't cool anymore!! LOL) will be looking at the legendary beast!!

I am curios to know if this helps anyone, and I am very hopeful it will!!

Peace!

Kennek4
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

How do you manage to load the STS5000 into V7 ?
I own V7 on Xite and PCI, but both show me "Can't find DSP file KGParam3.vxd".

It worked well with 5.1, so I'm keen to get the missing link to your story.

BTW: I'm running Win7/32
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

Well, I'm new to V7, I am running a Pulsar1 and a Luna card, in Win10 64 bit, in a Dell T3500, with a HEXA core Xeon (it only has Two PCI slots unfortunately) but now is running smooth as silk since I disabled the cards in Windows settings!

I just recently revived these cards, I only made it to V3.1, then about a decade in between, and now, I'm back to re-booting Windows! LOL

Is it possible that the STS5000 is 64 bit only? It's designated as "STS5000 x64" under the Sampler tab. Now that I look they all (samplers) say that, but I assume it's because the installer only loaded the relavent files for the os??

I would look in the installer folders, and see if that missing file is there, and just not loading, because that would likely indicate, that 32 bit version of Windows can't do anything with it.

of course, that's my "it must be complicated, or it's no fun approach" because support could probably answer that faster than I could speculate, but oh how I love to speculate!!! LOL

I did notice, that after all the re-arranging of cards and stuff that I did, I was having a bunch of random issues,(not just Scope related, I couldn't open my downloads folder, for example, and GUI issues in windows) I did an uninstall, re-install thing, and it seemed to fix those issues! (have your keys handy if you go this route) I think you can do a "repair" of the install as an option as well, but I chose to uninstall,

Maybe you could try the disabling hardware in windows thing, then re-install over the top, and see what happens?

I need the sampler really bad right now, being maxed out at only 7 DSPs, that's why I stuck with it! I was just going to use a vst sampler, but I like to do as much as I can, within the Scope environment, and the added bonus of fixing the Sampler crash issue, is that I can also open the VDAT (it had the same problem of BSOD)!

I wish you success, and hope I might have provided a sliver of info!

Cheers!
dante

Post by dante »

Same here, under 'Samplers' in the project window, they are all suffixed 'x 64'. However, as soon as I drop one of then on a blank project (XITE-1D) , I get BSOD. I'm not going to try your trick on my XITE system, but I may try it on my (redundant) i7-4790 PCI Scope system downstairs. At the moment it has no screen, power, mouse etc setup.

STS is supposedly only 32 bit, due to a dependency on an AKAI dll which was supposedly only made in 32 bit. How many samples and how much polyphony are you getting ? There is a polyphony limit at which it normally breaks on some 64 bit systems even if it does initially work.

Thanks for the instructions.
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

That's good to know about the polyphony limit! I will definitely keep an eye on that! I'll let you know if and when it crashes, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Might be a sweet thang if STS 5000 can be revived.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it shouldn't work, but i have real hope that it will work again.
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

Thanks Gary! I think the same could be said of me, at times! LOL! But I love your attitude!!

I will keep you all posted on the post, post crash if any! :roll:
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

this may be a goofy question, but if what Dante said about the dependency on an Akai dll file is true, is it possible that it has been updated by Akai? I ask, because I have an MPC One, and the current MPC 2.8 software installed on this system, and since I only know enough about computers to be dangerous, wouldn't that new Akai dll file, be stored in the same cabinet in Windows, as the Scope dll files??? Self fixaroo? It's OK, you can laugh at me, because I'm already laughing at myself!! But that would be COOL if it were possible!! Like when stuff goes absolutely wrong, maybe, in this weird backwards year of hindsight, it went absolutely right,....by accident of course!!

I guess I'm a glass half full kind of person!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, you don't need an Akai dll. that was from back in win98.

the only thing i am laughing at is the amount of effort spent on something that doesn't work. it is a well known fact that STS does not work in 64bit. the STS was made 20 years ago, there was no such thing as 64bit operation. it was attempted to patch the old STS to use a 64bit OS, but it did not work. the current modules can be thought of as place-holders. there has been work done to rebuild the samplers from scratch, which is just one of many HUGE jobs that need to be done. as far as i know, the release of v7.1 with updated samplers is imminent(don't hold your breath, though!)
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

I wasn't aware of that history Gary, so I'm even more baffled!? I wish I could explain why I am able to use it?

I will keep using it though, knowing it may crash at any moment, as an experiment,.... and to simply try and defy reality, on some small level!!

I would be very exited if the update fixed the STS5000, its actually a very cool sampler(now that I've been able to try it out!) I still have an E-MU e64 so I will survive if this doesnt work out!

I appreciate everything you guys have accomplished, and I will say, you have an amazing dedication to this platform, and it is a blessing to be able to use these old cards still! So THANK YOU for that!

I want to support Sonic Core's future, so I am saving my money for an Xite1, and I have been spreading the word about this platform to all of my friends who produce music! UA has nothing on S/C, except a massive marketing budget, and an army of dsp programmers, and graphic design people, etc, etc! LOL! But If I remember correctly, Creamw@re was using sharc DSP's, well before UA!

Any how, thank you for all your hard work, and I wont be mad if my STS breaks my heart...or Windows 10! (besides Modular 4 is LEGIT, and well makes up for any STS5000 issues!!)

Peace!

Kennek4
dante

Post by dante »

Here's a quote from Faxi a coupla years back - but I couldn't verify his theory one way or another on my i7 x64 system.
faxinadu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 am - been testing around more today, have you guys noticed if you load an sts program there are no crashes? :0 at least here, i have been trying to crash it this way all morning now and can't get it to crash this way. go to the main window and load a pre-prepared sts program and play around.

- as soon as i create a "new" program and go to the keygroups and load a new wave sample this way - BSOD with timestretch.vxd showing as culprit.

can anyone confirm both observations?
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I just tried to load STS 2000 - 5000 on my V7 PCI and V7 Xite. It does load after that "Can't find DSP file KGParam3.vxd".
But no sound out of STS XXXX.
Do you also get this message ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

No, I was getting something like Vxcvd_ _.vxd, and I also got one that said, IRQ not equal or greater than zero, or something like that! I will document the message when it happens again!

Weird stuff!! I feel like the guy who saw a legit UFO, but nobody believes me! LOL

After what Garyb said, I'm starting to question my own reality!? :o

BTW, Just to make it even more bizarre, and frustrating to you!(not my intention) I am able to play back the preset drum loops, and all of the envelopes, and filters modulators, etc, work just fine! I will get back to it later today, and I will try loading some third party samples, and see what happens!

Good Luck!!
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

I should note, those messages I got were post crash, listed on the BSOD, not in the project window.
kennek4

Post by kennek4 »

One other possible bit of info that I noticed, which could be helpful, is when I tried running one card at a time, my Pulsar 1, got BSOD no matter what, but when I added the Luna card, at first it crashed, but after the re boot, I checked my settings, and noticed that the Pulsar restricted the ULLI to only 13ms ,but after adding Luna, I was able to get down all the way to the lowest setting, and that attempt worked! So I assumed there was an issue with the ULLI driver, where it needed to be set to 1ms in order for it to work
dante

Post by dante »

Interesting stuff. Maybe later you could try VDAT.
dawman

Post by dawman »

PLEASE Bring back VDAT.
I will fund the R & R.