Scope/XITE > Exception

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Scope/XITE > Exception

Post by garyb »

no, it does not indicate that it works.

you should have adat and zlink indicators in the samplerate window. you should have dsp placement.

it's not a driver and it's not the motherboard. it's not the pcie card.
valis

Post by valis »

If the OS "sees" the PCIe card and loads the "driver", this means that a Device ID/GUID string is reported to the OS on querying the card, that's all. You can't determine anything else beyond the fact that the circuitry required to respond to this is intact. Whether or not the card will respond to this Device ID request and yet be broken in a way that it can't communicate to the Xite hardware is not something we would know. And that says nothing about the hardware on the other end of the Xite connection as well. This is why we have GaryB (representing Holger) to attest to the technical aspects of our hardware, so I would take his word on it.

As with all troubleshooting, all you can do is walk the device "chain" and inspect things as far as your tools allow you to do. If there's something amiss beyond what your tools expose to you (and Device Manager is a very poor troubleshooting tool) then you're basically making guesses from the symptoms you can observe. Think of these symptoms as the shadows on Plato's (allegorical) Cave wall, rather than anything specific.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Bud,
i'm just curious.
can you check v5 64bit driver+scope v5
...result the same prob?
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Spielraum wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:54 am Bud,
i'm just curious.
can you check v5 64bit driver+scope v5
...result the same prob?
My main problem is lack of room.
I have no room for testing different setups w/o the need of de-installing/installing software on the same machine which I want to avoid.

WHEN I find a place here in this small house I´m forced to live in because I care for old aged, I´ll pull out my Win XP rackmount PC 1st, put new battery in, adjust BIOS settings, put XITE-1 PCIe card back into the same slot it used before and connect XITE, then boot and launch SCOPE 5.1 32Bit .
I have the fully working SCOPE 5.1 32Bit installation on the old machine, so it should work as before WHEN XITE hardware is intact.
And THEN, next step might be, testing SCOPE 5.1 64Bit on the Win 7 x64 machine.

I have to be sure the hardware works (or not) before testing different software.
It´s important to know if I´d need a RMA or not.

For me , a.t.m. it´s had to believe the XITE-1 hardware is damaged.
It was not in use for years since I leaved my old location and moved into this one.
I had never the chance to set up my studio again.
All is in stock in racks, flightcases, so was XITE-1,- and the cables as also PSU were in the original box I still have.
The PCIe card was left in my old WinXP rackmount machine since I disconnected XITE in my old location when I moved.
This is for about 4 1/2 years now,- and my tech put it into the Win7 x64 machine some days ago which i put in a new rack then, together w/ XITE, A16U, Midex-8 and one of my Sycologic M16s.
Today my masterclock arrived,- have to unbox later.
Das I´m unable testing it w/ XITE and SCIOPEv7 now.

But s##t happens.
I´ve seen electronics going south when been powered up after a long time not being used.
It´s rare, but happens.
We´ll see ...

b.t.w.,- I´m in germany.
Shoot me a PM if you want.
Some conversation in german language might help because my OS is in german language always.

:)

best

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

nebelfuerst wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 am Are you sure, there is no hardware issue ? Did you try different pcie-slots ?
This?
Hey Bud; When I transferred to a new machine I originally had problems with the PCI-E slot(it was mostly with the boot up) but one slot didn't work, another kind of worked and then I found one that has worked for 8 years. Also if your slot is bigger than a 1X, make absolutely sure it is seated firmly because there is a lot of slop if you are using a larger one. The only other thing I can suggest is try a new HDMI cable.
The Xite-1 is a mighty beast but it sure can be finicky sometimes, it does not like change :)
Hope you get it worked out, it's frustrating esp when you want to try out your new clock.
Was it the Black Lion you bought?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Possibly really random and of absolutely no help at all, but have you tried changing the background thing (you know where scope is incased in its own window or not) set it so it’s not. It’s a stab in the dark due to message moaning about background! 🤷‍♂️
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:25 am
nebelfuerst wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 am Are you sure, there is no hardware issue ? Did you try different pcie-slots ?
This?
Hey Bud; When I transferred to a new machine I originally had problems with the PCI-E slot(it was mostly with the boot up) but one slot didn't work, another kind of worked and then I found one that has worked for 8 years. Also if your slot is bigger than a 1X, make absolutely sure it is seated firmly because there is a lot of slop if you are using a larger one. The only other thing I can suggest is try a new HDMI cable.
The Xite-1 is a mighty beast but it sure can be finicky sometimes, it does not like change :)
Hope you get it worked out, it's frustrating esp when you want to try out your new clock.
Was it the Black Lion you bought?
Thank you,- I´ll try another PCIe slot soon.
Have to pull the machine from rack to do so, which is not easy for me because of my mobility and back issues.
But is possibly faster than setting up the old system in another room.

Masterclock/Synchronizer:

About 50km away, I´ve found a Rosendahl Nanosyncs in great condition.

Some details:
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/archive ... ence-clock

Another offer of the NTSC version w/ pics:
https://www.pixelproaudio.com/products/ ... -nanosyncs

Delivers 44.1K and 48k on all outputs, 96K the 1st three BNCs only,- Protools x256 BNC 4-6 only.
I guess I´ll use 44.1K / 48K forever ...

Does video (black & burst/ distribution amp BNCs out) too and together w/ a Zeta-3 (p.ex.) syncs even a 2" 24-track reel-to-reel MTR.
Also has AES and electrical S/PDIF outputs.
Inputs are video, wordclock (internaly terminated) and LTC w/ thru.
S/N is P25xx, where "P" means PAL (NTSC is not built in) and the serial number at least means jitter is under 73ps (which is enough for my needs I think.
I liked the LTC input because I still own tape MTR, ATARI w/ Unitor2 and AKAI gear using (partially generating) LTC,- and I own a Steinberg Nuendo Timelock Pro which is identical w/ Rosendahl WIF, also reading LTC, output wordclock and MIDI Timecode (positioning a DAW app) in addition.
I got it from a studio giving up their Protools system and it looks like new, no rackrash,- just only a little bit around the rackears´holes.
Just tested frontpanel functionality and stored a setting,- works !
Paid EUR 180,- plus EUR 7,50 shipping.

Now would really like to test w/ XITE-1 and A16U,- then add the other gear later one by one.

best

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:57 am Possibly really random and of absolutely no help at all, but have you tried changing the background thing (you know where scope is incased in its own window or not) set it so it’s not. It’s a stab in the dark due to message moaning about background! 🤷‍♂️
Interesting ...

"set it so it´s not" ...

How to ?
Never did before,- or I´m mistaking you,- possibly.

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:02 am
Masterclock/Synchronizer:

About 50km away, I´ve found a Rosendahl Nanosyncs in great condition.

Some details:
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/archive ... ence-clock

Another offer of the NTSC version w/ pics:
https://www.pixelproaudio.com/products/ ... -nanosyncs

Delivers 44.1K and 48k on all outputs, 96K the 1st three BNCs only,- Protools x256 BNC 4-6 only.
I guess I´ll use 44.1K / 48K forever ...

Does video (black & burst/ distribution amp BNCs out) too and together w/ a Zeta-3 (p.ex.) syncs even a 2" 24-track reel-to-reel MTR.
Also has AES and electrical S/PDIF outputs.
Inputs are video, wordclock (internaly terminated) and LTC w/ thru.
S/N is P25xx, where "P" means PAL (NTSC is not built in) and the serial number at least means jitter is under 73ps (which is enough for my needs I think.
I liked the LTC input because I still own tape MTR, ATARI w/ Unitor2 and AKAI gear using (partially generating) LTC,- and I own a Steinberg Nuendo Timelock Pro which is identical w/ Rosendahl WIF, also reading LTC, output wordclock and MIDI Timecode (positioning a DAW app) in addition.
I got it from a studio giving up their Protools system and it looks like new, no rackrash,- just only a little bit around the rackears´holes.
Just tested frontpanel functionality and stored a setting,- works !
Paid EUR 180,- plus EUR 7,50 shipping.

Now would really like to test w/ XITE-1 and A16U,- then add the other gear later one by one.

best

Bud
Nice clock and the price is decent too. Lots of functionality for the price.
Hope you get it all sorted soon.
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

Hey Bud.

Have you tried using an empty startup project?

Cheers
Søren
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:06 am
Liquid EDGE wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:57 am Possibly really random and of absolutely no help at all, but have you tried changing the background thing (you know where scope is incased in its own window or not) set it so it’s not. It’s a stab in the dark due to message moaning about background! 🤷‍♂️
Interesting ...

"set it so it´s not" ...

How to ?

Bud
From memory, I’m not at the studio. But it’s in the global settings (choose view settings and in global tab) Think it says show or hide project window.
Set to Hide it.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

soren_jepsen wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:21 am Hey Bud.

Have you tried using an empty startup project?

Cheers
Søren
I just only installed SCOPEv7 and don´t use any startup project other than the one which comes w/ the installation by default.
The cryptic message comes before this (or any) project can finish loading.
I made an own project in addition because I connected A16U via Z-Link which needed Z-Link modules in environment.
Changed nothing ...
I´ll try an empty project and more tomorrow and when I find enough time.
But I doubt it will change much because message appears immediatedly after I launch SCOPE by clicking the desktop icon, then asks for click O.K. and w/ project stuck in background.

Best I can do seems to be testing PCIe card and XITE w/ my old rig and/or put PCIe card into another slot of the actual computer in use.

Today I´m tired,- it´s 04:00 a.m. here meanwhile.

best

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:25 pm
From memory, I’m not at the studio. But it’s in the global settings (choose view settings and in global tab) Think it says show or hide project window.
Set to Hide it.
thank you,- will try !

Bud
Bud Weiser

Re: Scope/XITE > Exception SOLVED !

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:45 pm no, it does not indicate that it works.

you should have adat and zlink indicators in the samplerate window. you should have dsp placement.

it's not a driver and it's not the motherboard. it's not the pcie card.
Well, after I changed PCIe slot, I got the same issue.
Now you´d guess my PCIe card or XITE-1 is broken but it isn´t !

You won´t believe,- the culprit is (are ?) the PulsarConfig.pep file(s) you use to configurate XITE-1(D) as "Master" or "Slave" !

As a reminder: S|C readme june 08/ 2012:

Dear Customer,in normal Scope XITE software installation the PulsarConfig.pep in
C:\Program Files\SCOPE XITE\App\Script\PulsarConfig.pep allows XITE hardware to be Wordclock slave only.

If you want to work with XITE as master you need to rename the PulsarConfig_XITE-Master.pep to PulsarConfig.pep and overwrite the installed version.
If you like to work with XITE as WC slave again you need to rename the PulsarConfig_XITE-Slave.pep to PulsarConfig.pep and overwrite the installed version.

Your Sonic Core Team

So, when installing scope_v7.0.1706_x64_xite_deutsch.exe (or EN too ? - I installed the german version !) AND immediatedly overwrite the originally installed PulsarConfig.pep to make XITE work as master because actually and by whatever reasons not using XITE as a slave,- you´ll get the cryptic warning message you´d have to click o.k. and then, nothing works !

So, this time, I saved the original file before overwriting and after I got the same issue, I deleted the overwritten and put back the original, re-launched SCOPE and voilá,- it worked as MASTER !!!

Means:

With SCOPE 7.0.1706 x64 installation, XITE-1 works as MASTER,- not as Slave and all ASIO, MIDI, Z-Link w/ A16U, samplerate settings and DSP/Async display works in standalaone as you see in the pic.

What you don´t see is w/ ASIO it works flawlessly w/ 128samples/4ms/44.1K (ULLI),- so now I was able to set SCOPE ASIO in Reaper 6.08 and Studio One Pro 4.x, so I guess it will work in Reason 10.4 and 11.2 too.

I´ll have some more work left here ´cause I´ll try in the former PCI-E x4 (x2 when Ultra M.2 slot is active) again.

But NOW´s the question if the PulsarConfig_XITE-Slave.pep file, we´d have to rename, then overwrite again to make XITE a BNC slave, is also outdated/incompatible or whatelse ???

I´ll try to make XITE-1 a BNC slave soon and by using SCOPE settings "Slave" button instead a file.
Maybe that works now w/ scope_v7.0.1706_x64_xite.

I really wonder if the user experience XITE not working as BNC slave, also together w/ A16U, come from using these old PulsarConfig.pep files ?
SCOPE_XITE v7.0.1706 x64 standalone WORKS.jpg
SCOPE_XITE v7.0.1706 x64 standalone WORKS.jpg (718.28 KiB) Viewed 5686 times

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

huh?

it is a known problem, that you cannot mess with the workclock settings in v7. that is just one of the things that are currently being worked on for v7.1(which will most likely be free). this is mentioned in the pdf that accompanies v7.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:01 am huh?

it is a known problem, that you cannot mess with the workclock settings in v7. that is just one of the things that are currently being worked on for v7.1(which will most likely be free). this is mentioned in the pdf that accompanies v7.
Yes, but these PulsarConfig.pep files are for switching XITE between master and slave and SCOPEv7_XITE is now master by default, not slave as before.
So, how to make it slave now,- not urgently BNC,- maybe AES instead, WHEN these files ("slave"from 2009 and "master" from 2010) mess the installation ?

It only runs because I kept the originally installed PulsarConfig.pep file and didn´t overwrite like it was used to do in SCOPE 5.1 to make XITE master.
It was never been documented elsewhere XITE is master by default installation,- it was always slave before and it was necessary to use these .pep files.
Now it isn´t.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, as i said, it is well documented that the XITE wordclock settings cannot be "adjusted" as with v5.1.

if you want to use your Nanoclocks(i have one of those), you will have to slave to AES or ADAT.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 pm yes, as i said, it is well documented that the XITE wordclock settings cannot be "adjusted" as with v5.1.
Are we talking about the same when you say "wordclock settings" and I say "master/slave" ?
B.t.w.,- the only documentation (PDF) I have is "scope_application_v7_build_1705_release_notes.pdf".

Known issues quote:
"Known Bugs: (Dated Dec. 1st, 2017) STS Samplers can cause crashes on 64 Bit Windows systems.
Wave In causes crackles. At this time not all of the known bugs might be fixed. We appreciate your
feedback related to further development and bug fixing. Free Updates to SCOPE v7 will follow."

Was there more available ?

Please let me ask the other way around:
Is it now obsolete using these XITE master/slave PulsarConfig.pep files and am I able switching XITE to "slave-mode" (and back to "master" if desired) by using "SCOPE settings",- then selecting any sync source,- except BNC-Wordclock ?

And,- it´s still irritating yayajohn´s setup works w/ Win7 x64 ...
https://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic ... 15#p344415

" The Xite-1 appears to send the clock thru to Z-Link
Lucid BNC out to Xite-1 in slave, Z-link to A16U also set to slave."

Sorry for tenacity, but I still wonder if I have to use the damn .pep file for slave mode or if it works when done from SCOPE environment.

I´m also asking because of this post https://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic ... 77#p344377 ...
He obviously had the same issue I had, but in opposite to my case, when using the file setting XITE to slave-mode.

" I did everything right that time and renamed the files as indicated in the instructions, but now i want to return to slave mode and an error appears "FreqText1 has no background!" and the "Samplerate Settings" panel appears in blank, only with the master and slave controls.
My current version of Scope is 7.0.1706"

garyb wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 pm if you want to use your Nanoclocks(i have one of those), you will have to slave to AES or ADAT.
AES would be fine for me.
I have a Nanosyncs which is limited to WC, AES & SPDIF (electrical),- no optical.

thx for your input

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

the pep file only works in v5.1.
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:06 am
Interesting ...

"set it so it´s not" ...

How to ?

Bud
Shown here ….
Scope 7 issue
Scope 7 issue
Scope 7 Issue.jpg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 5610 times