How to optimize windows 10 for Scope to avoid clicks and pops!?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: How to optimize windows 10 for Scope to avoid clicks and pops!?

Post by valis »

My 2001 era dual Xeon has trumped every machine since for PCI bandwidth, even after adding a NIC (Intel with coprocessor) and USB2 card (it was USB 1.1). Of course the SCSI bus is attached to the 64bit PCI lanes, and I was able to manually steer the Scope cards so not one shared an IRQ.

Newer is not necessarily better.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:03 am
garyb wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:15 pm just allow it to update first.
people gotta use the latest os, but the os is now a service, not a product.
How much of an effect do think using a “mobile” external hdd for all the projects/asio etc and using a ssd as the os hard drive on a ten year old pc hardware (sata 1) is having?

I know software is starting to not behave nice with old cpu chips, for example, wavelab pro 11… it’s new restoration plug in crashes systems with old amd processors that don’t follow “the new instruction set”..,
i haven't seen that to be a problem here.
i just let things update and then work. if it means that the computer needs to be started early, then i do that.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

garyb wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:22 am
Liquid EDGE wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:03 am
garyb wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:15 pm just allow it to update first.
people gotta use the latest os, but the os is now a service, not a product.
How much of an effect do think using a “mobile” external hdd for all the projects/asio etc and using a ssd as the os hard drive on a ten year old pc hardware (sata 1) is having?

I know software is starting to not behave nice with old cpu chips, for example, wavelab pro 11… it’s new restoration plug in crashes systems with old amd processors that don’t follow “the new instruction set”..,
i haven't seen that to be a problem here.
i just let things update and then work. if it means that the computer needs to be started early, then i do that.
Yes sure. Ok. I think you answered my previous post. 😊

What I was asking was the using an external usb drive for all the audio streaming a possible reason for clicks/stutters?
garyb

Post by garyb »

it certainly could.
is that sample streaming? usb is not really good for a whole lot of that. i'd want an internal drive for sample steaming, an ssd, if possible. an nvme would probably be better, but that might be a hassle in an older box.
valis

Post by valis »

It would be if the PCIe slot chosen shares resources, and it's likely not necessary without extreme needs anyway. We know here that SSD's are still an issue here for recording scenarios (not an actual one usually, but theoretically it's easier to overload cheap drives and drop performance below a modern spinning drive). However even the bargain basement SSD's would stream up to the SATA3 limit just fine now, or close enough to not matter. The downside is always going to be warranty and longevity at that end of the spectrum of course, but it holds up that most are certainly enough for this task so you would be choosing based on those other factors (reliability and ease of warranty service).
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

garyb wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:07 pm it certainly could.
is that sample streaming? usb is not really good for a whole lot of that. i'd want an internal drive for sample steaming, an ssd, if possible. an nvme would probably be better, but that might be a hassle in an older box.
Yeah, I have the cubase project on said drive and everything that’s imported to the project sits there, all samples, all recordings etc.. so could be that. It’s annoying to say the least.
valis

Post by valis »

Use two drives
garyb

Post by garyb »

usb is not for anything critical!
it's best for importing and exporting and storage, not streaming, imo.

usb transfers in bursts, it's not about sustained data flow. it's fine for anything that is not time-sensitive. the worst thing about usb, is how easily the connection is interrupted. streaming to and from usb is a great way to lose data.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Thanks for clearing that up.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

What’s so annoying is that the XP set up doesn’t have this issue whatsoever… and it’s all plugged in the same.

I switch over a caddy for the os hard drive..

The win 10 is on an SSD… I do wonder now if it’s something to do with that.. 🤷‍♂️ As that’s the only hardware change between the two systems/set up.

It’s driving me a little nuts, I’ve done all the optimisation improved things a lot but a click still happens every so often.
valis

Post by valis »

Type into Windows menu (or Search bar) on Win10: System Information
Expand the Hardware Resources and check the Conflicts section.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Windows 10 is NOTHING like XP, even using the same software.
don't expect a Win10 system to automatically work as well as XP. it CAN, but you may need to maker allowances for differences.

no, an ssd system disk should not make any problems, in general.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:46 pm no, an ssd system disk should not make any problems, in general.
what´s up when trim kicks in automatic ?
I disable and do it manual by occasion.

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Trim doesn't kick in unless the system has been idle for some time, and that's ONLY if a controller supports it. Many modern controllers have their own internal garbage collection, and TRIM hasn't bee relevant for quite some time.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 pm Trim doesn't kick in unless the system has been idle for some time, and that's ONLY if a controller supports it. Many modern controllers have their own internal garbage collection, and TRIM hasn't bee relevant for quite some time.
thx for info,- interesting, didn´t know that.

:)

Bud
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

valis wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:19 pm Type into Windows menu (or Search bar) on Win10: System Information
There is something on the same irq as scope.. totally forgotten how to change or if you can irqs.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

garyb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:46 pm Windows 10 is NOTHING like XP, even using the same software.
don't expect a Win10 system to automatically work as well as XP. it CAN, but you may need to maker allowances for differences.

no, an ssd system disk should not make any problems, in general.
Yup,, taking a while to get my head around stuff, it’s quite different in lay out and where everything is hidden etc.

It’s quite a jump as well going from cubase 5 to cubase 11..

So getting used to it’s limits etc is taking a while, but I seem to be getting on top of it. With your help. Biggest thing that was spinning me out was the relentless updating etc. it’s not perfect yet as audio hungry projects are still producing one click through playback.. so hoping switching to an internal drive for all the data will finally get rid of that.. though I’m prepared for it not too.. 🤷‍♂️
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

valis wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:19 pm Type into Windows menu (or Search bar) on Win10: System Information
I think that’s the usb pcie expansion that my Virusti2 is connected to. 🤷‍♂️
Attachments
8099DACC-DD39-4394-ACAF-F132149825B6.jpeg
8099DACC-DD39-4394-ACAF-F132149825B6.jpeg (8.1 MiB) Viewed 8087 times
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes try disabling the VIA USB on interrupt 12 which is shared with Xite, you should be able to right click on it and disable it.then just use another usb slot for anything that is connected to that, from what you said above your Virus is connected to that but try moving it to another usb socket that isn't sharing with Xite? In fact I would remove the virus first then disable the VIA USB
valis

Post by valis »

By the way, when using external USB devices and wanting 100% reliable performance, disabling power saving states (by setting that on the HIgh Performance windows profile, and switching to that profile when working) may not be enough for all systems. For instance, on the B550-E systems it seems that USB 2.0 devices and soundcards have major issues, and other devices might as well. Asus support has a bios option for those boards to specifically disable C-states for the ports in question, and your board might offer similar features.