Getting back on Scope... or not?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petehalo

Re: Getting back on Scope... or not?

Post by petehalo »

After frustrating struggle to get the Ryzen 2700 / B450 mobo / M-Audio Lightbridge communicate reliably over ADAT lightpipes with Pulsar cards on the old XP machine I was almost ready give up but then I got a c. 10 year old computer (i7 2600K / P8H67M Pro) free of charge from a friend of mine and decided to have a go with it and the 15 dsp card and installed a 500GB SATA SSD and fresh Win10Pro 64bit and Scope 7 in it along with the 15dsp card in the PCI slot on the motherboard and a 6 dsp card connected to the PCI-E slot using the PCI-E->PCI adapter. I was pleasantly surprised that the SCOPE environment loaded nicely with both of the cards showing up in the dsp meter window and seems to work reliably while running a DAW benchmark project in Reaper even at the smallest asio buffer. Unfortunately with my main DAW Harrison Mixbus there's problems while trying to get the DAW started with Scope ASIO drivers.
valis

Post by valis »

We happen to have a harrison mixbus user among us...dante?
petehalo

Post by petehalo »

Tried the ASIO Link Pro wrapper mentioned earlier in this thread between the Scope ASIO driver and Mixbus and now the audio flows between Mixbus and Scope environment. No the most prettiest solution, but if it works then it's fine by me.

Some time a go I hauled home my old Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer from storage where it had been stashed away for a few years and next I'll try to hook up the mixer with 2 Adat cables to this Win10 machine (15sdp card has a Pro I/0-plate, 6dsp card has a Z-Link I/0 for total of 3 Adat connections) to route 8 channels of audio between the mixer and the Win10 machine. In my old XP machine I have 3 6dsp cards with one Pro I/O plate and Scope 5 and Dynatube amp sim device licensed to one of the cards so I can have 16 channels of audio between the the two computers thru 2 Adat connections.

I'm first and foremost a guitar player so now it all comes pretty much down to how much latency is introduced if I route the guitar signal from the mixer via Adat connection to ScopeV7 on DAW/Win10 machine and from there to ScopeV5 on XP machine to be processed with the Dynatube amp sim device and back the same route to mixer for monitoring while recording the direct signal in Mixbus. While mixing it would be great to be able to use the XP machine as a guitar amp simulator with multiple Dynatube instances running side by side and feed those amp sims with direct signals from individual tracks in Mixbus giving me the ultimate freedom to tweak the amp settings until the final mixdown.
dante

Post by dante »

valis wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:41 am We happen to have a harrison mixbus user among us...dante?
https://www.forums.scopeusers.com/viewt ... =7&t=36359
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

petehalo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:47 am Unfortunately with my main DAW Harrison Mixbus there's problems while trying to get the DAW started with Scope ASIO drivers.
I seem to remember I had to select 'buffered I/O' in the setup to get mixbus to work with scope.
Anyway it definately works with scope
Hang in there
regards
maus
petehalo

Post by petehalo »

Buffered i/o did the trick and now Mixbus plays nicely with Scope V7.

To have 3 PCI slots on board without the flimsy PCI-E-to-PCI extension board (which seems to work pretty well to my surprise) I bought a 'new' Asus P8p67 B3 rev 3.1 motherboard that came with i5 2500K processor, a Coolermaster cpu cooler and 16 gigs of fast DD3 2133 RAM. My original plan was to use the current i7 2600K instead of the i5 2500K but the seller said this combo has been overclocked to 4.5 GHz for the last 5 years so I started to think if I should stick with the 2500K instead.
dante

Post by dante »

Mixbus + Scope + PCIe adaptor :o

Petehalo - living legend !
valis

Post by valis »

If the master is on a properly functioning PCI bus slot, the other slots are largely supplying power iirc (presuming your STDM interconnects are sorted and seated properly). Nice work :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:26 am If the master is on a properly functioning PCI bus slot, the other slots are largely supplying power iirc (presuming your STDM interconnects are sorted and seated properly). Nice work :)
I already asked in another thread some time ago, but got no answer ...
So again:

When there are 3 SCOPE PCI cards in the system,- Power Pulsar and Pulsar-2 (x2) in my case,- how to make one of these the "master" ?

In my system, they all appear w/ a total of 27 DSPs in SCOPE v7 32Bit,- Scope application and all the devices registered/activated to the Power Pulsar PCI card w/ Z-Link plate and w/ a Sync plate connected,- while the other 2 work as boosters, but WITH additional PRO I/O plates.
The A16U is connected to the Power Pulsar via Z-Link.

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valis

Post by valis »

I don't know on a modern system, the way IRQ's 'steer' and PCI slots are allocated varies too much system to system to give a consistent answer to this.

We used to use cset.ini but it's no longer necessary is my understanding. So what I've done in the Scope 7 era is simply check the slot that winds up being the topmost card in the DSP list (and thus the top card in the i/o list and so on), and put the card that I want to be 'master' into that slot.

In some cases (extreme IRQ steering on modern boards) you would want to reset the ESCD (extended system configuration data) or equivalent in the BIOS/EFI, because some systems might 'see' the card swap slot and still assign the IRQ (based on GUID/SSID calculated for the card).
petehalo

Post by petehalo »

In my case the one in the extension board slot was assigned as master.
garyb

Post by garyb »

put the #1 card in the slot nearest the video card.

back in XP, it was important to get into the cset and make sure that the preferred card was #1. that is not really important at all in later versions of Scope + later versions of Windows.
dante

Post by dante »

mausmuso wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:59 pm
petehalo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:47 am Unfortunately with my main DAW Harrison Mixbus there's problems while trying to get the DAW started with Scope ASIO drivers.
I seem to remember I had to select 'buffered I/O' in the setup to get MixBus to work with scope.
I wasn't aware of this Buffered I/O setting so I've updated my screenshots here
https://www.forums.scopeusers.com/viewt ... 70#p343670

The only downside is that it wouldn't allow me to select sample rate higher that 44.1 even when I had already started up Scope @96Khz. Maus, Pete maybe you can confirm this limitation applies to your systems as well - so I can document it ? Then I can do a long promised ScopeRise Article on it.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Hey Dante,
Mixbus32C-6 works on all 3 samplerates here.
I load SCOPE at 48KHz (Default Project) and then set the samplerate to either 44.1K or 96K and run Mixbus with Buffered I/O.
It all works as expected.
maus
dante

Post by dante »

Yep ok thanks Maus - got it happening now. Dunno what I did different, maybe it was starting Scope at 48Khz before opening MixBus then upping it to 96.

This works way better than how I had it before....
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Good news :)
petehalo

Post by petehalo »

If you ever need to break a rock use your scope card. ;)

I had to reinstall Windows last night and after that when I run the Scope V7 installer it didn't at any point show me the registration screen so I could have entered the temporary scope key. Despite of that and to my surprise the Scope environment seems to be working ok.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Last edited by Spielraum on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
petehalo

Post by petehalo »

It's been a long journey back to ScopeLand but now I think I have all the bits and pieces together after I found a silent AMD HD 5450 display card for the DAW machine yesterday. Now I have two machines, one with Win10 + Scope V7 (bought the license yesterday) running DAWs containing a 15 dsp card and 2 Pulsar2 cards and the other with XP Pro SP3 + Scope V5 containing 2 Pulsar cards and a 3dsp Elektra cards. The machines are interconnected via Gigabit LAN and ADAT cables so I can have a remote desktop connection from DAW machine to XP and 16 channels of audio in both directions.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Valis, Petehalo & Gary,-

thx a lot for your info about Scope PCI "Master" card !
Never read / didn´t know that before.

@Gary:

In my HP xw4600 server, I´m unfortunately unable to insert my prefered #1 card close to the 1st (always x16) graphics card slot.
My Power Pulsar (gen2) 15 DSP card is too long and needs to be the last out of three in that case.
It carries all the SCOPE app and devices activations for that card bundle installed.

Is there any more reason to make a given PCI card the "master" ?
Prefered usage of a Pro I/O and/or Z-Link plate, or where´s the sync plate connected p.ex. ?

In Scope PCI v7 (32Bit) standalone mode, I haven´t seen any disadvantages up to now,- but I´d think about potentially necessary improvements when ASIO might come into the ballpark, usage of Z-Link, ADAT and AES I/O across different output plates,- and BNC-Sync slave usage of this system as well.

:)

Bud