questions

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ditykman

questions

Post by Ditykman »

Hello every one

I have 2 questions about xite.

FIrst, is scope 7 is windows XP compatible?

second, is there someone who have a scope 7 and windows 10 glitch free and clicks free installation with asio?

since windows 10 and scope 7 I have random clicks with all my computers (lenovo w540, T420, and 2 sandybridge desktop computers) and all the tweaks I found (energy saving, updates...). I never found the solution

With my xp computers core 2 duo and scope 5.1 I never have clicks.
With my lenovo W540 and my babyface RME I have no clicks too.
I use the xite whithout asio and with the adat and midi of the rme and I have no clicks
but I love mixing with xite

Thank you all

Jean
valis

Re: questions

Post by valis »

WinXP (32): Yes
Win10 (32/64): Yes (I'll let those users respond with their experiences)

Jimmy found a solution for clicks by locking the ASIO component to a certain dsp chip, search the forums for that thread.
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

hello

thank you valis.
I don't find the thread but this clue seems to be good.
there is a special dsp to lock the asio component?

Thank again for the hope!!

Jean
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Asio and other drivers modules should be placed on dsp 2 wich is one of the older dsp's. Also try using a different PCIe slot for XITE-1 and turn off all extraneous background programs in SERVICES.MSC and unnecessary Start-up programs in MSCONFIG and in your bios turn off the C-states.

PS. Turn off Turbo Boost Mode in your bios as well.

EDITED
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:47 pm Asio and other drivers modules should be placed on dsp 2
Which, except ASIO and WAVE, count as "other drivers modules" ?

Do you mean ADAT, AES and ZLink too ... (sequencer-)MIDI ports as well ?

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

MIDI won't matter, but I can see where it's possible that locking other i/o's and drivers to the same DSP might prevent phase shifting between i/o pairs when first entering scope (this can happen later if you don't check the phase comp button) and other potential issues.
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

One more question :

Are the differents asio components are the same in term of stability?
exemple : is the asio 32 is stable like the asio flt point? There is one more stable (I am with ableton live 44.1 24 bits) than other ?

thanks for the tips. Some of them are new for me.

Have a nice day

Jean
garyb

Post by garyb »

they are all about the same.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:56 pm
Sounddesigner wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:47 pm Asio and other drivers modules should be placed on dsp 2
Which, except ASIO and WAVE, count as "other drivers modules" ?

Do you mean ADAT, AES and ZLink too ... (sequencer-)MIDI ports as well ?

Bud
Definitely for Asio and Wave drivers use dsp 2. I don't remember if it's necessary for ADAT, etc to be placed on dsp 2 or not but Valis makes a great point that it's still best to have everything on the same dsp. It's been a longtime since SonicCore spoke on these things and since we've talked much about them here so my memory has faded a little regarding ADAT etc. I just remember being told that some older dsp's (6 of them) were mixed with 12 newer dsp's in XITE-1 and that the older ones were for drivers and for very old SCOPE plugins that might be incompatible with newer dsp's (like VDAT) and that dsp 2 was for drivers. Newer dsp's are'nt as efficient with drivers and may suffer some compatibility issues with some older plugins.

Ultimately whether necessary for ADAT to be on dsp 2 or not it still make sense to put it there to have everything on one dsp for the reason Valis mentioned.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

On my latest build based on Ryzen and Asus crosshair VII hero and windows 10, very rare clicks on wave source and no clicks on ASIO. My usual settings are 48 KHz and 6 ms ULLI and 32 channels of ASIO. I Also suggest to disconnect the wave source modules inside Scope when working with ASIO, because it happened to a friend of mine to have the stm mixer connected to ASIO and wave modules during the use of the DAW and the random clicks came from the wave source.
dawman

Post by dawman »

djmicron wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:50 am On my latest build based on Ryzen and Asus crosshair VII hero and windows 10, very rare clicks on wave source and no clicks on ASIO. My usual settings are 48 KHz and 6 ms ULLI and 32 channels of ASIO. I Also suggest to disconnect the wave source modules inside Scope when working with ASIO, because it happened to a friend of mine to have the stm mixer connected to ASIO and wave modules during the use of the DAW and the random clicks came from the wave source.
Which Ryzen are you using if I may inquire?
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

dawman wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:42 am Which Ryzen are you using if I may inquire?
A cheap Ryzen 3600, more than enough for a dsp based DAW :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:25 pm
Definitely for Asio and Wave drivers use dsp 2.
O.k.,- that´s what I knew already from here ...
XITE-1 DSP Structure.gif
XITE-1 DSP Structure.gif (20.07 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:25 pm I don't remember if it's necessary for ADAT, etc to be placed on dsp 2 or not but Valis makes a great point that it's still best to have everything on the same dsp.
I understood, soft- and hardware I/Os can go to DSP#1 and soft-I/Os again and VDAT can go to DSP#2.

Now, it matters what ADAT and Zlink I/Os are .. soft- or hardware ?
Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:25 pm It's been a longtime since SonicCore spoke on these things and since we've talked much about them here so my memory has faded a little regarding ADAT etc.
Yeah,- and it might have changed ... maybe for SCOPE7 (and OS beyond Win7) ... no ?
Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:25 pm I just remember... that the older ones were for drivers and for very old SCOPE plugins that might be incompatible with newer dsp's (like VDAT) and that dsp 2 was for drivers.
I don´t understand why all this cannot be handled by the SCOPE system itself in the way once it recognizes a "driver" dependend module being loaded in the environment, placing it automatically on the required (requested ?) DSP.
Sounddesigner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:25 pm Newer dsp's are'nt as efficient with drivers and may suffer some compatibility issues with some older plugins.
I dunno if that´s the real truth.
It´s possibly because the ancient PCI card based SCOPE system worked w/ these old SHARC 60Mhz DSP chips that way.
Newer SHARC DSPs do I/O routing/handling in Apollo, Solaris or whatelse hardware FX devices well.
I know XITE is more complex, but when old SHARC DSPs were replaced by new and much faster ones, the I/O assignment and routing would still work,- but backwards compatibiliy w/ some old devices would have been gone.
This might not be a big issue if we got more new devices replacing the old ones 100% in sound and functionality,- possibly improve sound and features in some cases,- p.ex. B2003.

I also understood "old" 60MHz DSPs #3-6 are for communication between DSP-"slots" in XITE-1D as well as the "chip-arrays" (3 DSPs in each slot) in XITE-1.
Means, these work as a virtual S/TDM cable and there might come up a different data traffic depending on it´s a XITE-1D or XITE-1.
In addition, they do the communicaton between devices running on these DSPs and when these require host computer´s RAM and/or CPU cycles.
SAT connection errors come from these DSPs alway w/ the message "no more SAT connections possible between DSP # X and # Y" and such.

I only know early PCIe 1.0/1.1 standard is already 250MB/sec. @ 70MHz and old SHARC runs @60MHz,- which in theory reduces bandwidth.
So,- for XITE-1, w/ 3 fast (333MHz) SHARC DSPs in each of it´s 4 DSP slots, such 60MHz SHARC might be a bottleneck once devices use host computer´s RAM and CPU inside a large project´s combo of loaded devices.

Just only my guess though ...

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

djmicron wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 am
dawman wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:42 am Which Ryzen are you using if I may inquire?
A cheap Ryzen 3600, more than enough for a dsp based DAW :)

Thanks, but that CPU is pretty competent for DAWs because of the cache and good IPC numbers.
Went to CES and AMD just trounced Intel.
Whooped them so bad Intel can’t even get back in the fight until 2021.