Solaris HW tabletop & 1U "19 rack versions

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

Re: Solaris HW tabletop & 1U "19 rack versions

Post by t_tangent »

Yes I think they would be wise to offer the rack as a unit in its own right rather than just an expansion module. Perhaps something like the DSI Poly Evolver rack which works well on its own (although with somewhat limited polyphony, and using the software controller/editor is pretty essential to get the most from it). But poly chained to the Poly Evolver Keyboard is where it seems to be primarily aimed at from what I understand?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

t_tangent wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:43 am Yes I think they would be wise to offer the rack as a unit in its own right rather than just an expansion module. Perhaps something like the DSI Poly Evolver rack which works well on its own (although with somewhat limited polyphony, and using the software controller/editor is pretty essential to get the most from it). But poly chained to the Poly Evolver Keyboard is where it seems to be primarily aimed at from what I understand?
I placed my questions over @the other forum,- we´ll see.

I´d prefer the 1HU w/ software editor over the desktop because it´s cheaper, it´s rack mountable together w/ XITE-1 and AD/DA for the hardware keyboards and other MIDI modules as well,- and when I run SCOPE/XITE, there´s the computer in the ballpark anyway.

B.t.w.,- does the SCOPE SDK deal w/ MIDI SysEx ?
The Solaris 1HU listens to MIDI SysEx right now, just because it´s controlable via Solaris keyboard synth that way.
So I wonder if it were possible to create a SCOPE editor device for Solaris 1HU in general and at least for some skilled SDK user w/ additional MIDI skills.
MIDI wise, I think about ancient software like Polyframe for ATARI ST or Sounddiver for Mac & Win where users were able to add "adaptions" as editors and related to specific hardware instruments,- all based on some generic MIDI SysEx construction kit.

I´d also wish the Solaris 1HU had AES/EBU-Out (instead SPDIF optical) for direct input into XITE,- or better,- 1 ADAT port for it´s 4 audio inputs and 8 audio outs.
That would be so cool together w/ XITE !

:)

Bud
David

Post by David »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:28 pm B.t.w.,- does the SCOPE SDK deal w/ MIDI SysEx ?
BCM has control to sysex module which may do what what is required, it at least seems possible, which gives some hope to the use of this type of midi message with Solaris
dante

Post by dante »

Ladies and Gentlemen - welcome to the show that never ends - Solaris 1U !! That protruding left face looks kinda familiar 8) But - where are the rack ears I wonder - and is it kinda short of 19" ?
Solaris 1U
Solaris 1U
solaris-1u.png (225.35 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
Last edited by dante on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dante

Post by dante »

Solaris TT
Solaris TT
Solaris TT
solaris_tt.jpg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

David wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 pm
BCM has control to sysex module which may do what what is required, it at least seems possible, which gives some hope to the use of this type of midi message with Solaris

thx,- good to know !

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 pm ... Solaris 1U !! That protruding left face looks kinda familiar 8)
Maybe a blind panel leaving room for mor future connectivity ?
dante wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 pm But - where are the rack ears I wonder - and is it kinda short of 19" ?
Seems they need special lenghth rackears not available atm.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 pm Solaris TT
Oh well,- that looks really great and is less big than I feared !

Surprisingly for the fair it has the black OLEDs which are (quote John Bowen) "hard to ressource" actually.
In his forum he mentions Solaris TT will come w/ TFT displays.
No biggie for me ´cause OLEDs normally don´t have a long life compared to TFTs.

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

I'm thankful I have the TFT's, and will likely swap them out for OLED's sometime later this year to prepare for more studio fun, put the TFT's aside for when I am ready to pass the unit along. I also invested in an OLED screen for my aging Virus KB, and will of course keep the original screen on that unit as well. Studio fun + longevity in a drawer :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

O.k.,- the 1HU isn´t for non Solaris keyboard owners and it´s just only a voice expander which might get a software editor "once a coder is found for it".
Here´s John´s post ... http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.p ... 536#p23536.

That´s really sad.
I really hoped for buying this toy from S|C directly and not to have to make a deposit when pre-ordering like it is the case when buying a Solaris TT from J.B. Synth Design.
I´m simply too old and too ill for any long time wait.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Bummer - I thought SC was doing the editor. Probably just as well - as I've blown my budget on the i9 so pocket in no shape to buyed a 1U now anyways, but I would have really liked the standalone one, TFT and knobs or not.

Wonder if the editor could be made in SoundDiver ?
valis

Post by valis »

No modern OS runs SoundDiver without workarounds. MidiQuest I think is still in development, but many have moved to CTRL as it's open source. In any case, John is addressing the requests of his users with the expander I believe, as well as bringing some form of multi-timbral use to the table as demo'd in the tabletop unit at NAMM. At least I think those were his plans when I spoke with him recently. Keep in mind the target audience for the Solaris isn't meant to be on the budget friendly end of the spectrum, he's quite frank that many of his users are collectors (and the preset library caters to those sort of tastes with most of the banks he created as well).
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:19 am Bummer - I thought SC was doing the editor.
I understood S|C and J.B. teamed up w/ Hrast some time ago already,- and I thought he does.

Bud
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

There is a third party editor for Solaris called Solarium, coded by Jim Hewes who also did some programming for the Solaris, so perhaps that might be an avenue they could explore and revise it for the rack unit. Who knows. :)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

t_tangent wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 am There is a third party editor for Solaris called Solarium, coded by Jim Hewes who also did some programming for the Solaris,...
Any link available ? Got no result when searchin´ the web.
t_tangent wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 am ... so perhaps that might be an avenue they could explore and revise it for the rack unit. Who knows. :)
It might work for the keyboard, the TT and the rack once it´s updated for the new features.
But all this takes TIME.

When I only see how much time it needs updating SCOPE v7.0 to v7.1 ...

In fact, I´m now happy Holger is NOT the man coding the editor,- so he hopefully has more time to finish SCOPE 7.1.
SCOPE/XITE for me is more important than JB´s Solaris.

Bud
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

https://bitbucket.org/JimHewes/solarium/downloads/

I can't find a screenshot, so will try and remember to take some later.

Yes it's going to take time for JB to sort things out I expect, and hopefully Holger is on the case for Scope 7.1 with those bug fixes....soon. :)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHrPEkSZsBk
dante

Post by dante »

Good video - explains a lot for those (like me) who haven’t been on his forum for a while. That TT looks like a mighty fine machine.
dante

Post by dante »

Looking forwards to opening this beasty one day...
Solaris Rack
Solaris Rack
Solaris Rack.jpg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:44 pm Looking forwards to opening this beasty one day...

Solaris Rack.jpg
Where does that pic come from ?
Is it your vaporware mockup or is it real ?

No offense,- just asking.
I´d be interested in such device too.

Bud