Solaris HW tabletop & 1U "19 rack versions

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: Solaris HW tabletop & 1U "19 rack versions

Post by dante »

You don’t recognize an Emu device since you love their Z-plane filter ?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:47 am You don’t recognize an Emu device since you love their Z-plane filter ?
LOL,- wanted to be sure.
Yeah, it looks like a EMU device,- and I liked their UI for hardware-romplers,- making menue diving relatively simple.
In addition, MIDI implementation was good and very functional always.

But I doubt,- even such Solaris rack module will see daylight,- it´ll get D.R.´s Z-Plane filters ever.
If it does, that would be nice though.

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Too many partners, too many parameters, except for a tabletop like I’m getting ready to chop down to.
Still have the ribbon and wheels.
Physis K4 is so damn good it’s works better than twisting the knobs.
valis

Post by valis »

John does have a few things in the works, and I'm sure he'll share when the time is appropriate. While I can't speak directly for him...

The most straightforward port of Solaris (sans keybed) I believe would be a JohnBowen instrument due to ownership rights, and S|C would do the rack which would be made in tandem with them as the Solaris is now (which means subject to similar production timelines and timeframes). As the tabletop unit may come from John, he's already shown one at tradeshows if memory serves.
dante

Post by dante »

What would be interesting would be a brand new Scope Solaris based on XITE-1 full compliment 12 DSP at 96Khz that assumed it would be used as the only device in the project (other than basic I/O and mixing which could be handled by the 6 older DSP) . EG XITE-1 as basically a single synth expander. Packaged up with presets set at predetermined max poly, Sat connections and DSP assignment that would always run. EG some complex voices might be maxed out at poly 4 whilst other simpler ones at poly 8 etc. It wouldn't be patch compatible with the Hardware Solaris but many of the patches could be made similar by John or his knowledgeable sound designers.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

dante wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:47 am You don’t recognize an Emu device since you love their Z-plane filter ?
LOL. I wasn't going to say anything but, yeah. I still have a Proteus FX with expansion cards. Still sounds great!

I bought this Kontakt Library a while back on a crazy sale for like $19.99:

https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/pro ... teus-rack/

Does the job really well. I never had all the boxes but now I do. :D

They have some great stuff for great prices. All the Emu and Ensoniq stuff is by Timothy Swartz the producer of the E-mu Systems and Emulator sound libraries. I think it's worth checking out. I replaced my Motif rack with their version after a side by side comparison. Most of my hardware has been replaced. I remember when I needed a truck and missed all the wrap parties, (at least I kept some phone numbers) wishing I played the harmonica.

I still have my Korg DSM-1 with all the disks, Dante are you out there? (Inside joke, but I'm dead serious).
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dante

Post by dante »

I had the original Proteus early 90's - now I have the digitalsoundfactory set of same in a Reason refill and also the Proteus 2000 - which I havent used much yet. I also have a Z-Plane rack extension to supplement as required. The RX950 is for emulating the AKAI 12 bit sound.
Proteus Rack Extension
Proteus Rack Extension
proteus.jpg (85.21 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

dante wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:42 am I had the original Proteus early 90's - now I have the digitalsoundfactory set of same in a Reason refill and also the Proteus 2000 - which I havent used much yet. I also have a Z-Plane rack extension to supplement as required. The RX950 is for emulating the AKAI 12 bit sound.

proteus.jpg
:D

Are you still working on the Korg DSM-1 Mod?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dante

Post by dante »

Korg DSM-1 Mod ? I've never heard of it.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Sorry Dante. It was jhulk, I believe. Also StrayLight but I don't see any progress there.
ronnie wrote: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:15 pm
jhulk wrote:keep on to that korg dsm-1 new 24 mb upgrade with 32bit processor and resonance added for the filters
Huh? I tried searching on Google but all I come up with is:

http://www.straylightengineering.com/ko ... 1-upgrade/

Is that it? Do you know of a timeframe?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

ronnie wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:04 am Sorry Dante. It was jhulk, I believe. Also StrayLight but I don't see any progress there.
ronnie wrote: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:15 pm
jhulk wrote:keep on to that korg dsm-1 new 24 mb upgrade with 32bit processor and resonance added for the filters
Huh? I tried searching on Google but all I come up with is:

http://www.straylightengineering.com/ko ... 1-upgrade/

Is that it? Do you know of a timeframe?
Okay! I really must have forgotten who it was on the Z. I searched some more to no avail. If anyone knows please let me know!