KrOn - CV/DSP modulator

General discussion for SpaceF Devices

Moderators: valis, spacef

dawman

Re: KrOn - CV/DSP modulator

Post by dawman »

I wasn’t dissing tweaking, just want to automate that since my hands were busy elsewhere playing.
Love the Jove Filter. Nice range and juicy bacon.

Your dream rack has dual ES3 Modules. Nice.
How many large is it?
spacef

Post by spacef »

you can see the price and power specs under the image https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1332651
that would be around 3 Grands for 32 centimers long (1 hp is 0.5 cm) and 3U height (I think that's close to 30 cm high). Can be cheaper with 2nd hand modules but the great ones are not often re-sold. There are 3 or 4 modules with price above 350 €... and I just added a power supply because one is short by 200 mA. i will probably never own them all (not for budget but because i might not want them anymore, or there will be better things in the future)

this one is probably closer to reality https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1231482
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Nice rack! I'm curios, how do you manage without an ES-6?

Here is my always changing plan: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1197769
Wanting to keep it no larger than 6U 64HP, and focus on analogue stuff and ability to do a lot of FM modulation as well as pinging, which are the things where it is huge difference with analogue compared to digital to my ears.

Of scope filters, the only one I found that pings in a usable way is Flexor allpass, and one can some good sounds from it, but still very weak and limited compared to something like Filter 8 (or Twin Peak Resonator which I don't have yet, but seems really great for pings).

Could possibly replace Themistos with an Disting EX or a couple of Pico VCO's, since I will mostly use them to generate pure waveforms to feed the Generate 3, and for that digital is great. But will cost about the same and maybe be a bit crammed.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Okay Mehdi, I’m sold on a Modular rack but only want to do Filtering of certain signals from my XITE-1 or A16 or my Maschine +. All have Analog outputs. I could use ADAT if need be.

Which Kron would I need, and I want the filter you speak of in the YT video, don’t need anything except a rack for filtering.

Apologies for not knowing anything and needing your consultation.
But I will buy stuff ASAP because I need this rig up and running.

Ankyu
spacef

Post by spacef »

@Spindrift: I don't have any modulator in the rack, so I don't need an ES6 (which is a CV to ADAT, ie the counterpart of ES3 which is ADAT to CV)
For audio I simply use the xlr inputs of xite, with mini jack to xlr cables.

@Jimmy
For the filter, I think you talk about the Jove Filter by System 80?. It is comlpletely sold out in shops. I contacted them in June to know whether they were planning a 10 HP version of Jove (or a re-run), and they were actually doing a 10 HP version. Get in touch with them to know about release dates (they said " 'somewhere in fall or end of 2020"). They did an 8HP version last year, limited run, and it pre-sold out rather quickly...

You could build your own micro-box modular. You get wood panels cut at some hardware store, then order the rails and the screws.
Check on modular grid to create a mock up of your future rack. You just need a power supply unit and the chosen filter. If you want to use modulators, you would need an ADAT to CV converter (Es3 expert sleeper). For just a filter Mini-KrOn is more than enough. You could also use the K16 sequencers/modulators from BB3. For such a small rack, you should make sure you get a power supply with soft ribbons because the other ones with hard rails will not fit into the rack.

May be you could build something bigger in case you want to expand (or you'd just keep the wooden panels and screws, and cut some new rails to make a bigger rack... the thing in eurorack is that there are so many desirable modules that it quickly becomes a high budget. Depends what you do with it. And if you don't like , I think that the modules can be sold fairly easily (well, probably not if it is common and cheap modules).
The rails are aluminum and you can cut them like butter with a metal saw. i applied very gentle pressure and I was done in 5 minutes. It is easy to make a wrong cut... so going slowly is advised.

https://youtu.be/VFNtQRDSUw4?t=774
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

ah I found the pics of the making of my rack :-) There is a back door which is really cool because you don't need to remove any module to access the power plugs. an innovation by SpaceF ;-) (I haven't seen anything like that on commercial racks or cases).
On mine, I can have modules of 8 cm depth max (or they touch door, and I would need to change for deeper side-panels)
Attachments
20200715_114035.jpg
20200715_114035.jpg (51.51 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
20200701_003207.jpg
20200701_003207.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
20200630_234932.jpg
20200630_234932.jpg (93.53 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
20200630_221807.jpg
20200630_221807.jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
Holes were moved to put the modules "deeper". here it is 2 or 3 cm from the edge
Holes were moved to put the modules "deeper". here it is 2 or 3 cm from the edge
20200630_221729.jpg (92.85 KiB) Viewed 13928 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

spacef wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:11 am @Spindrift: I don't have any modulator in the rack, so I don't need an ES6 (which is a CV to ADAT, ie the counterpart of ES3 which is ADAT to CV)
For audio I simply use the xlr inputs of xite, with mini jack to xlr cables.
I must say I find it very useful to be able to patch back and forth, although not so much for sending modulation from Eurorack to scope.
But I use it more like a single system than separate instruments, and can use Scope, Eurorack and Grid as part of the same patch.

As I see it, if you have Scope an ES-6 can be seen as a super duper Disting EX++, since you easily can fill in the blanks in the rack when you are making a patch. Need a slew limiter, but doesn't have one in the rack, use the one in Scope. Want to free up your your filter to work as a CV processor, use a Scope filter instead...etc. All back and forth in Eurorack level signals. Then if you find you are always patching back and forth to use the slew limiter in scope, get one to put in the rack for convenience.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I don't think someone with KrOn would need so many back and forth in this case - it depends what you send to the enveloppe follower.
As this is a KrOn's education related thread, I notice that KrOn has two envelope followers. They were made to send asio tracks like drums but you can use any signal. You could also use the EG synced to lfos or notes on or step/val sequencers, to use with a VCA or VCF. The envelope follower has the advantage of being only dependant on what you send to it, independantly of KrOn's midi channel or timing.
Personnally I would use the ES6 if I had some cool eurorack modulator to use inside scope. Now I see that you also use it for audio to adat which is cool too. I went the xlr old school way :-)
Attachments
EF.jpg
EF.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 13818 times
kron-tuts001.jpg
kron-tuts001.jpg (89.29 KiB) Viewed 13819 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Ah, didn't notice the env followers with adjustable fall and rise times, nice!

Yes, ES-6 is great for audio signals as well since it of course works at eurorack level, unlike a regular interface which needs padding.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Haviong fun with drums

"Moduls" was updated for a better usage with drums. Now has 4 selectable triggers outputs in addition to the 4 regular outputs.

news: viewtopic.php?f=10&p=347237#p347237

Moduls in action with the T-Drums from my LBH VIII (they are inside a device in SDK, to make them more easy to edit, you can seee a bit of how it is done)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ECjaQyY4Y
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Planned:

- Ext inputs will be reconnected as "thru" (currently goes to a DSP to CV attenuator). "Thru" will allow more as you can attenuate modulation levels anyways. For example, with "Thru" you can plug the pitch from another KrOn and it will not be attenuated. The attenuator was seen as a "native audio/asio to Eurorack. Thru will allow this as well as a CV to CV path type.

- Correct manual tempo to LFOs T1 & T2. Fortunately the engine is there but the tempo knob is not connected where it should be. So this is just about making the fogotten connection.

Delays expected: 2 / 3 weeks from the date of this post. Reason is because I am woking on the drum box which allowed me to find this kind of "bugs" or ideas for improvments. So I will finish it first. In case of emergency, let me know.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Planned:
- i'm adding a 6th LFO (T3),
- as well as the LFOs as EG triggers (they were removed to gain dsp/connections but well, at some point, i really missed them).
- and a preset list for the output colors and texts
- and colors will be selectable only with the poti (to avoid changing colors when manipulating potis)
- LFO 3 will lose it's pre-delay settings and will receive modulated rate instead. Predalays are still available on LFO1 and 2.
- T1 + T2 outputs will be replaced by a single output "X" with a selectable source (this is planned, not decided).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Hi Mehdi, sorry to point this out but I have noticed this a lot from non-English speakers. The sentence 'LFO 3 will loose it's pre-delay settings and will have modulated rate instead' it is actually 'lose' not 'loose' Don't be offended, just an observation :)

Back to the subject, does Kron work with VSTs like Softube's Modular? Can it be incorporated into the DAW environment? I wish there were more tutorials covering Kron's capabilities? That also includes Speilraum's modular creations (if he reading this).
spacef

Post by spacef »

- You can send KrOn to standalone modular like VCV or Cherry Audio Voltage modular and control them. For pitch control, you must put KrOn's gain output at +12 dB (instead of 0dB like you would do with scope and hardware synths/VCO).

- For vsti, the only way is through a sidechain input of a synth or effect.
The only synth with a sidechain input that I know about is this arp 2600 model https://cherryaudio.com/instruments/ca2600
But there is only 1 sidechain input. (described at the 6th line of the "features" section).

- For the other vstis, I don't think they can be modulated with external signals.
- You can also record KrOn in the daw and work your sequences there to control scope or hardware, but it is not really the easiest/fun way to make music.

IN conclusion:
There are possibilities but KrOn is more efficient with Scope DSP or with CV-abled hardware synths and euroracks.
In particular it shines with hardware synths and eurorack.
I've been considering adding a conversion to get KrOn's outputs as midi CC, but I haven't tried yet (I don't expect good results because midi is to slow/unprecise to record KrOn's modulations the way it should be... but I haven't really tried yet)

Myself, for midi, I am considering an Arturia Keystep 37. It will be a great companion for KrOn and will leave scope DSPs alone. I am sure KrOn and keystep 37 are great together, each of them doing what they were made for. I suppose the same is true for other midi sequencers.

Thanks for the english correction :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Shouldn't be possible if using Bitwig to control any VST with Kr0n, since you can modulate any parameter with a CV signal.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I tried to install the demo but it doesn't like my scope asio driver. Studio One works fine so it looks like a bitwig problem.
In any case, KrOn is ready for the native word and can send its signals to anything that will accept audio as a modulator.
Spindrift wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:19 am Shouldn't be possible if using Bitwig to control any VST with Kr0n, since you can modulate any parameter with a CV signal.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Spindrift

Post by Spindrift »

Been running Bitwig for some time now, on different systems with different scope hardware, and haven't had any problems. So it's not Bitwig that doesn't like Scope, but must be some system specific issue.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Mehdi, I just bought a bigger eurorack case to accomodate my growing physical module collection. Thank you, Kr0n is amazing. Also FYI: modulating a Tiptop Z-dsp with your stuff is incredible.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Thanks a lot Peter !
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Here is a pic with the next updates, at least those visible on the surface.
I am taking the time to check everything in my "global project" so it should be available within a week.

1 - Manual/LG: this is an interconnection with another device "LogiQ" (forthcoming modulator in the "Aquarius" drum box (another product) - LogiQ can be master of the tempo and gate restarts of KrOn, ensuring they are both always in sync. LogiQ can resync every 4/6/8 measures (8 measures = similar to 128 steps).
The "manual" Press button can be mixed with the LG input from LogiQ. However, if you have LogiQ, you would sync all devices from LogiQ gate menus (using LogiQ own "press" button which also regates the regaters :-) )... unless you are looking to desync your sequences, which can help finding new inspiration more or less randomly.

I am also working on astandalone device to sync all project devices (KrOn and other spacef stuff), which will be done only once the rest is released (and it will require updates to include the adequate "receivers" inside those devices. For KrOn, it will include a "main gate" and a gate for the quad. I intend to add a CV sync for CV gear (you can do it already but that will just be a dedicated output).

When Kron is "slave", incoming notes-on do not trigger the sequencer (which is not new as we had the "manual mode", but the interest here is that you do not need a midi cc to sync KrOn, ie you can work in Scope and fire the sequencer once you need to record something - and at this point you will go from LogiQ sync to notes-on or manual CC.

2 - Color presets, more uselful than it looks, allow to load your setup of text/colors.
2b 2c - You can also adjust some modulators internal gains (mostly unpitched modulators like LFOs), and you can set the Bias cap values too (advised 0 or +3 dB). The bias control is just too valuable with eurorack modules that do not have an offset (like some VCAs) and that's why I added #7 below (to use bias in last slots while still having 2 modulators).

3 - new leds for the 32 steps. 2 rows that show the 32 or 16 step state of each line. Makes things immediately better. 16 steps is generally used to use CV and DSP tuning on the same line of 32 steps. Now it can also be used to simply visualize 32 and 16 steps animations at the same time. This feature already exists in Mini KrOn and was too good to be left out of Big KrOn.

4 - Time-synced ADR on both EG

5 - LFo3 rate modulation, and LFO 1/2/3 can derive a note-on/off from the T LFOs. This allows to have fade in/out even without incoming notes on/off. It allows to create "crossfading" between LFOs and boosts KrOn's modulations by a great number. Allows making rythms not available previously.

6 - useful leds on EG and LFO rate modulation.

7 - 3rd input selector on outputs A3/A4

8 - Color selectors on front panel. The colors themselves are not selectable anymore, so there is no more acidental changes of colors while editing the mixer outputs. Now you can use the small white knob in the bottom right corner of each output section.

9 - added LFO T3

10. Ext 1 / Ext 2 do not go through a dsp to cv attenuator, but directly to the mixers, so you can use pitch/modulators from other devices, wether CV or DSP, and it will remain untouched.

11. LFO 1 / 2 / 3 as EG triggers

12. Correction of the manual tempo on T1/T2

I think that's all folks...
Attachments
KRON3.jpg
KRON3.jpg (229.13 KiB) Viewed 12533 times
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website