Pi2525

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

zerocrossing

Pi2525

Post by zerocrossing »

It's been a bit since this came out and I just wanted to put out a bit of feedback about the plug in.

The whole thing does sound very nice but it seems to be missing some stuff that could make it great. See that blank space next to the aftertouch control in the filter section? What if "OSC2" was next to it as a mod source? :wink: The LFO already goes into the audio range. It seems to sound good, so why not put that one in? Or put a way to set the LFO in relation to pitch?

Speaking of, I sure could use a few extra LFOs. Or maybe a third osc that can run as an LFO, Minimoog style. Or both.

This synth is screaming for some cool digital waveform styles. Maybe not wavetables (though that would be good) but something else.

This thing is great for pads, but missing a high pass filter.

The OSC frequency LFO range is hardwired to coarse tune? That seems ridiculous. Why not a coarse/fine toggle for subtle effects?

Some modulation sources for feedback and supersaw control please!

Seems odd to have chorus and phaser. Why not a toggle for those two and use the other slot for a pre modulation distortion? I bet the TS9 emulation would sound sweet.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Enjoying the synth!
Bud Weiser

Re: Pi2525

Post by Bud Weiser »

Seems you want a different synth.

Anyway,- your post belongs to the "devices" section !

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

hey mate! those are all amazing ideas and some of those crossed our minds too as we were developing the synth but you also have to think macro and not just micro. feature creep is something that can go on forever - what about an lfo to modulate the lfo....... and an lfo to modulate that lfo? :)

the idea, i think anyways, is to give enough options but not too many as to make the synth bloated and un-intuative and without focus.

also remeber we are in the scope world were dsp usage is a factor. xite and big pci boards aside, people also use this with smaller pci setups where conservation is often a factor.

so, like in all things in life i think a balance has to be found, and that balance becomes the vision of that devloper and/or device. i personally find myself using more pi2525 than ocean storm at the moment, even though storm has a million more features.

in any case, loved some of your suggestions, there is always the future. we have pi2525 maybe we need also sometime a cake9999 :)

hope you do enjoy it and find use for it in your music regardless of the flaws you percieve :)
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

Bud Weiser wrote:Seems you want a different synth.

Anyway,- your post belongs to the "devices" section !

Bud
I thought so, but it seemed like there was a lot of talk about synths here too so I put it here. I'll do better next time.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

faxinadu wrote:hey mate! those are all amazing ideas and some of those crossed our minds too as we were developing the synth but you also have to think macro and not just micro. feature creep is something that can go on forever - what about an lfo to modulate the lfo....... and an lfo to modulate that lfo? :)

the idea, i think anyways, is to give enough options but not too many as to make the synth bloated and un-intuative and without focus.

also remeber we are in the scope world were dsp usage is a factor. xite and big pci boards aside, people also use this with smaller pci setups where conservation is often a factor.

so, like in all things in life i think a balance has to be found, and that balance becomes the vision of that devloper and/or device. i personally find myself using more pi2525 than ocean storm at the moment, even though storm has a million more features.

in any case, loved some of your suggestions, there is always the future. we have pi2525 maybe we need also sometime a cake9999 :)

hope you do enjoy it and find use for it in your music regardless of the flaws you percieve :)
I wouldn't say they're flaws... well, except for not being able to modulate the fine tuning control with the LFO. That just seems like an oversight. Mostly they're just things I found myself looking for and not finding that seemed like they should have been there. I get the feature creep thing, and something like adding wavetables or digital waveforms definitely gets into that territory, but being able to choose one of the oscillators as a mod source doesn't seem so far fetched considering the engine already deals with audio rate modulation.

One thing that keeps me from using Ocean Storm more is it's lack of aftertouch as a mod source. I use that a lot. Why did you take that route?
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

Gary, if you could move this for me, that would be great. I didn't realize this thread shouldn't be here.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

The best place might have been the Device/Module Wishlist forum rather than the Devices forum, since the latter is actually for developers to publish their new creations.
But even the wish list forum is for new devices according to its description...
Anyway, no big deal. :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, moved.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

hey mate,

again this comes down to preference and feature creep, but you are right, we could have looked into that for storm.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/