dNa Tape and optimus run on Scope 3.1

dNa Devices discussion & support

Moderators: valis, RA

jhulk

Re: dNa Tape and optimus run on Scope 3.1

Post by jhulk »

well i use scope on an xp system but interfaced to a mac via adat we have just finished several releases using this format

it works period as intended

and i will soon add the soundcloud releases to show as proof for our advertisement campaign.

as always the nay sayers always put down and those who criticize do nothing its all about the music scope is a tool period use it for whats it best at and what it fails at dont use and find other solutions at the end its how you get there on your journey and there are pitfalls in both dsp and hardware and in the box but those who know use each to its best ability to compliment the other that lacks in what the other offers

its all about how to accomplish your goals in the easiest way and i use all analog synths digital synths vsti and analog processing and dsp processing to get the sound i want as in the end result its the sound that makers the difference

but also the imagination of the programmer the singer and the producer to get the best out of the equipment they own when iwas doing drum and bass and rave music in 90-95 i was using a akai s950 a fz1 and some analog synths and a eps16+ some outboard gear and an atari st and my eii and my mac running sound tools and sd2 and we made music no multi track hard disk recorder just an 8 track which we would mix down to 2 channels to get more synths on the 0ther channels it worked but was hard when dsp system like scope came along it made life much easier

but today people are flooded with vsti and aud and dont actually understand the concepts behind most plug ins because they never used the real hardware even midi is lost to loads of new talent as they work in the box and dont understand the concept of multi midi external devices as they where only used to vsti and never touched an analog or even a digital synth
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Yes I agree, have to be pro to run this stuff, I assume you are using the new outboard kit not my older cards. I am impressed my cards work at all after these years. The PC is stable, only these Scope issues. But like you say, I'm not a Pro.
But I'm not being defensive. There always this 'Scope / Creamware etc is for pro users only' like you need a phd or whatever to use it. That is fine. But you won't get new users like that.
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

LOL! I'd be prepared to call the 'troll' card on this one. It's already been explained that it's his PC that's unstable not the cards, but the idiotic red flag waving persists....
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Yes I agree, was mix and match in old days, now mainly in the box. If made for digital only / web release (Soundcloud etc) hardly matters if know older tech. Check this out - Lanier 'You Are Not A Gadget' - on midi -
http://brettworks.com/2010/10/26/jaron- ... -and-midi/
garyb

Post by garyb »

it ALWAYS matters if you understand "older tech"!

that is all there really is, "older tech"!

computers are only used to model "older tech", which is actual audio hardware. computers are cheaper and a more convenient package, but the processes don't change.

there is nothing wrong with not knowing about gear, unless one acts like they know how to use gear and make public statements about opinions about the gear that they don't know how to use...

as to this from Geoff:
There always this 'Scope / Creamware etc is for pro users only' like you need a phd or whatever to use it. That is fine. But you won't get new users like that.
it's not that it's for pros only, it's for pros and serious hobbyists. yes, more customers could be had if the prices were near free, but that would also spell financial hardship. the kind of people who only want free or near free stuff and don't learn about audio gear don't spend money anyway. they use pirated software and only buy stuff that is very cheap. very cheap products are fine for a company that is just someone with a hobby making something simple, but anyone who has to do hard work can't operate that way. hard work takes years and the rent still must be paid. high level dsp programmers have to get paid or they don't eat or have anywhere to sleep. plugins are a little easier than whole systems, so you might find hobbyists and serious hobbyists making plugins, but something like Scope's platform only gets made by very specialized professionals. even with plugins, you don't want them made by someone who has little knowledge of real audio gear and it's purposes...

audio production is an art. you don't get good at it without learning about it. the gear is not like a consumer device like a television or a refrigerator, where you plug it in and it does everything it's supposed to do for you. a studio is an artist's domain. a studio's artist is the engineer. the engineer serves the recording artist. they can both be the same person, but it's ALWAYS an engineer who runs a studio. any recording artist who doesn't learn about REAL audio gear, at least a little bit, and who want's to own and run his own studio is just fooling himself.

sorry, this isn't personal, or really aimed at anyone in particular(even though it might look that way). it's just a rant.
Last edited by garyb on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Last edited by fra77x on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Last edited by fra77x on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petal

Post by petal »

Something tells me that technology did not restrict his hair.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's funny, because Phil Spector was all about technology. his "wall of sound" wasn't possible without technology.

and who said that it's technology that's the problem? the problem is always the way the artist uses the tools.

by the way, midi IS convenient and i LOVE it, but real people who can actually play the parts on real instruments is always better. music is about human beings. if your purpose is strictly to manipulate human psyches, then i'm sure that scientifically taking humans out of the equation and finding the exact trigger points is more effective than actual music made by people, but otherwise, no.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

dante

Post by dante »

In 1980 I started using a microcomputer to make music in Tasmania. I left there in '81 and moved to Melbourne but I used to send and receive chat cassettes to a friend in Tassy.
One cassettes I received had a comment from another mutual friend.

He said 'So I hear you are playing the Microchip these days !'

That was in '82 ....
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

garyb

Post by garyb »

synthesizers have been around for more than 100 years.
the theremin was an especially nice synth.
synths have existed since before digital and before midi and they really aren't doing anything now, that synths weren't doing back when.

yes, it's always better when real instruments are played by real people. sometimes, that's not really practical.

I'M NOT AGAINST ANYTHING.

yes, there is definitely technology made for robots, even for human beings who have been converted into biological robots. this is especially true when "efficiency" becomes the most important aspect. this does NOT mean that there is no human music made by technology. it's ALL technology.

there is no new music. none.
speaking from a scientific point of view, people have been around for a minimum of 30,000 and maybe even 150,000 years or more. it's pretty naive and ignorant to think there will be something truly novel and new, especially since human beings are incapable of coming up with something that is truly novel. at best, we take bits and pieces of what laready exists and then rearrange that stuff to make something "new". this goes for computers, automobiles, skyscrapers, rocketships and synths. there are new presentations of music, of course!

this has NOTHING to do with the need to learn a bit about gear, if one wants to have and run a "studio". it has nothing to do with the value of Scope.
garyb

Post by garyb »

microchips are devices meant to combine the functions of a complete circuit into a small package. microchips merely mimic the functions of other hardware. they don't necessarily make the difference between "good" and "bad" gear. generally, if the space, power and brain of the user/creator are capable of supporting it, discreet components will work better than chip components, at least in audio. the reason is that the designer is also an artist and there are more choices and possibilities of success and failure in a discreet circuit, compared to a chip. the chip will eliminate 80% or more of those options. that doesn't mean that something made with chips can't be the best thing ever.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Last edited by fra77x on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

garyb

Post by garyb »

fra77x, wth is your problem?

if you wish to troll me, you won't like the result.

if i have actually said anything inflammatory, show me.

if i am in error, teach me, but not in this thread. your crusade is not related to the topic anymore. just pm me. i suspect you aren't comprehending what i am saying properly.

in what world is a chip NOT a replacement for discrete electronics functions?

what is the difference between a synthesizer and an "electronic sound generator"?

i said, i'm not against modern technology, yet you answer with "what are you afraid of".
i said, real instuments played by real people is best, but not always practical, you anwer with "my synth is real". well good! it's best when you actually play it, if you're really a good player, rather than letting the piano roll play it. that's my opinion and i stick to it!

why are you trying to fight with me when i'm not fighting you? i'm telling you right now, i'm, not going to stand for trolling.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

garyb

Post by garyb »

i ALREADY acknowledged that a synth can be a "real" instrument.
you are tilting at windmills.

you have to restrain yourself.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »